Shirkers And Scroungers?

As the conservatives contemplate the collapse of their support in the next election, commons officials, in an oh so reasonable sounding proposal, are arranging that MPs losing their seat should enjoy tax-payer funded training from HR contractors to support them as they face unemployment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67629470

But let us not forget that once the tory/lib-dem coalition had been formed in 2010, George Osborne lost no time in unleashing his ideologically imposed austerity, which led to a staggering number of public sector employees being made redundant. For example, the police nationally lost twenty thousand skilled and experienced officers and even more civilian staff, HMRC lost thousands of tax officials, and local authorities across the country were forced to make front line staff redundant, which led to a rapid decline in service provision.

But things didn't end with these cynical neoliberal assaults on the public sector. Osborne and his tory colleagues then went on to demonise unemployed people, with shirker and scrounger rhetoric (with the eager assistance of the right-wing press).

"According to the document, a scheme could see defeated MPs offered "on-demand" career coaching and access to "networking opportunities".

It adds that they could also have access to a career coach to help them identify their transferable skills, and write a CV "that stands out in the crowd".

Nice!

The hypocrisy is stark.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Staunton said:

As the conservatives contemplate the collapse of their support in the next election, commons officials, in an oh so reasonable sounding proposal, are arranging that MPs losing their seat should enjoy tax-payer funded training from HR contractors to support them as they face unemployment.

But let us not forget that once the tory/lib-dem coalition had been formed in 2010, George Osborne lost no time in unleashing his ideologically imposed austerity, which led to a staggering number of public sector employees being made redundant. For example, the police nationally lost twenty thousand skilled and experienced officers and even more civilian staff, HMRC lost thousands of tax officials, and local authorities across the country were forced to make front line staff redundant, which led to a rapid decline in service provision.

But things didn't end with these cynical neoliberal assaults on the public sector. Osborne and his tory colleagues then went on to demonise unemployed people, with shirker and scrounger rhetoric (with the eager assistance of the right-wing press).

"According to the document, a scheme could see defeated MPs offered "on-demand" career coaching and access to "networking opportunities".

It adds that they could also have access to a career coach to help them identify their transferable skills, and write a CV "that stands out in the crowd".

Nice!

The hypocrisy is stark.

Have you read the doomsday book? Cheer you up a bit mein Host

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Have you read the doomsday book? Cheer you up a bit mein Host

Oh I don't know, there's been a load of posts on this Forum over the years about scroungers and shirkers - their habits and proclivities. And the glee with which they are pulled to pieces by posters on here, if the Tory Party proposed 'scrounger hunting' instead of 'fox hunting', it would be a sure fire vote winner.

Never mind their human rights, let's snare a scrounger!

Tally-ho.

• Like 2

recall the tories saying get tough on immigration,  well its way up over there 13 years in there control,get tough on scroungers and disabled thats way higher than 13 years ago, cut police that went wrong when they found they had to recruit more, ALSO TAKE RUWANDA   now i saw a programe they have a lack of nurses and medics why they are all coming to england to work,leave the EU and offer our unemployed the jobs, another mistake we are now having to take in workers as our unemployed wont do farm work ,what a joke,cut our debts no they have increased our debt , so this lot have had 13 years and they have destroyed the lot inc the NHS. 

Edited by bassett one
  • Like 1

MPs who are unseated at an election (and probably at other times) get a very handsome pay off I believe as a kind of redundancy payment. Last time I heard it was in the region of £45,000

And they don't seem to have much trouble getting a future job, often on the cushy board of directors or as a lobbyist for some company or other- also extremely well paid, etc.

Bear in mind that we are in dire need of all kinds of qualified trades people because they have to pay for their own training themselves in most cases which puts a lot of people off.

I don't know any ex MPs who would like to retrain as plumbers, do you?.

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

MPs who are unseated at an election (and probably at other times) get a very handsome pay off I believe as a kind of redundancy payment. Last time I heard it was in the region of £45,000

And they don't seem to have much trouble getting a future job, often on the board of directors of some company or as a lobbyist- also extremely well paid, etc.

Bear in mind that we are in dire need of all kinds of qualified trades people because they have to pay for their own training themselves in most cases which puts a lot of people off.

No but didn't Tom Watson retrain as fitness instructor?

When I first saw the story

a few days ago, all I could think of was the 1990's initiative for the unemployed, 'Job Club'. Get them in with Pauline from Little Britain.    

Don't forget the British public are often told we need to pay MP's a minimum of £85k a year because of the  working / life experience they bring.  However in reality, the only experience the latest batch have is being a PPE student & a year or so as an intern / researcher of their chosen party  before being handed a safe seat. 

The general public should not be funding ex-MP's, especially when they have other current financial arrangements for loosing their seats. 

And don't forget on top of all this, the British public have also made generous contributions to their pension payments for their time in office. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

a few days ago, all I could think of was the 1990's initiative for the unemployed, 'Job Club'. Get them in with Pauline from Little Britain.    

Don't forget the British public are often told we need to pay MP's a minimum of £85k a year because of the  working / life experience they bring.  However in reality, the only experience the latest batch have is being a PPE student & a year or so as an intern / researcher of their chosen party  before being handed a safe seat. 

The general public should not be funding ex-MP's, especially when they have other current financial arrangements for loosing their seats. 

And don't forget on top of all this, the British public have also made generous contributions to their pension payments for their time in office. 

I remember having to go to one of those job clubs. Never felt so patronised in my life

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

And they don't seem to have much trouble getting a future job, often on the cushy board of directors or as a lobbyist for some company or other- also extremely well paid, etc.

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well said both of you.  Too much time and money directed to looking after our representatives at Westminster whilst they all claim to be in it to look after us.

6 hours ago, Staunton said:

Nice!

The hypocrisy is stark.

My bold

There are posters on here who do the same. Having been on benefits for a time I was grateful for the safety net. It allowed me to care for my son full time which wasn't easy but we got past it, his health eventually improved and I got him back in college. Being on benefits hurt my pride a great deal but without that safety net I'm not sure where we would be today. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

There are posters on here who do the same. Having been on benefits for a time I was grateful for the safety net. It allowed me to care for my son full time which wasn't easy but we got past it, his health eventually improved and I got him back in college. Being on benefits hurt my pride a great deal but without that safety net I'm not sure where we would be today. 

Ha ha ha,   you're not fooling me.

I know some genuine ones and I know some who've been taking ordinary people for a ride.