Rooms In A Pub

Must admit we’ve not been out for many pub meals since covid. The price rise being the main reason.

However, we were out the other night at the village pub for a couple of pub classics, burger and a curry washed down with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc

….that’ll be £60 including tip. That aside, this pub has always been an eating pub not a drinking pub. It got me thinking (!) of the different rooms that 

were in a pub. Mostly long gone as far as my local knowledge extends. So….the ones I can recall are, Bar, Snug, Lounge, Tap, Saloon. One or two being the same thing I know.

Are there any more room names and are there any pubs out there still with the traditional names? If so, and I’m sure there’s a few, do they manage to serve food without the whole pub being knocked  into one large restaurant.

Nick…70…size10….own teeth

10 minutes ago, Morts said:

Nick…70…size10….own teeth

That reminds me of a relative from many years ago, who used to claim that he was "younger than his hair but older than his teeth"   :)

• Like 1

Function Room, Games Room, Family Room, Concert Room, Pool Room, Smoke Room?

Didn't the beer used to be 1-2d/p cheaper in the Tap room?

Went to an Ember Inn for Sunday lunch this week, £27 for 2 courses, 2 people. Had tap water which was freely available at end of bar, as am not a fan of daytime drinking. Good value these days.

Edited by Palomar

17 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Went to an Ember Inn for Sunday lunch this week, £27 for 2 courses, 2 people. Had tap water which was freely available at end of bar, as am not a fan of daytime drinking. Good value these days.

Most pubs had an off-sales as well.

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

They did indeed, lots of older folk talk of going to the local many evenings as children with Grandad's jug to get his ale, and trying not to spill it on the way back. I reckon I'd have had at least one fictional grandad by the time I was 14, instead of carrying the motorbike helmet for my fictional motorbike which worked when I was young.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Palomar said:

They did indeed, lots of older folk talk of going to the local many evenings as children with Grandad's jug to get his ale, and trying not to spill it on the way back. I reckon I'd have had at least one fictional grandad by the time I was 14, instead of carrying the motorbike helmet for my fictional motorbike which worked when I was young.

I remember my mom telling me that as a child she used to walk from Horninglow Road Firth Park up to The Pheasant at Sheffield Lane Top to fetch her dad's ale and back again.

I remember being on holiday with my parents and grandparents, I guess I was around 13 or 14. Dad and grandad went off to the local pub and left the rest of us on the beach.  Dad brought back  a bottle of ale for the old man on the beach who was indeed me.😀

On 05/12/2023 at 13:51, Padders said:

Always known by me as a ‘beer off’ Padders.

echo.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2023 at 13:31, Palomar said:

Yes beer was cheaper in the Tap Room because it was tapped straight from the barrel.

In other pub rooms it was often served from bottles and, therefore, more expensive.

echo.

On 06/12/2023 at 20:35, echo beach said:

Yes beer was cheaper in the Tap Room because it was tapped straight from the barrel.

In other pub rooms it was often served from bottles and, therefore, more expensive.

echo.

I've got to say that's not my experience at all, I've been drinking 50 years and I've never seen a pub up north selling its main draught beer straight from the cask or main service in bottles. The extra cost was for the superior fixtures and fittings in the 'best' side and sometimes waiter service. 

I have though seen both down south although not necessarily in relation to tap room and lounge side. 

On 06/12/2023 at 19:51, echo beach said:

Always known by me as a ‘beer off’ Padders.

echo.

meaning for consumtion off the premises , also in some pubs they had a back room

Edited by kidley
added text