COVID THREAD

18 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

They are frightened and, unfortunately, ignorant of the facts.

I would feel sorry for them were it not for the fact their beliefs and prejudices will affect me (though I am vaccinated, but not "boosted"). So I'm just soddin' annoyed with them, you give them the facts and they refuse to see them :

The former head of the vaccine taskforce [Clive Dix] has spoken out against the policy of "jabs for jobs", arguing that young people do not need to be double jabbed to go back to the office. Mr Dix said that many companies were ignorant of what double vaccination meant for their staff .  He told The Sunday Telegraph "if people are young and they get double vaccinated they'll probably get slightly less illness than if they're single dosed but most of them will be fine either way. Vaccination doesn't actually completely stop transmission, it just slows it down a bit.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jabs-for-jobs

But given that most are working from home and have been for a while, why the need to return to the office in the first place?

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

I heard a very interesting piece on BBC R4 (hardly the bastion of anti suppression).

They were interviewing a doctor who was arguing in favour of all these suppression measures, but she "admitted" that anti bodies (particularly in the nose and mouth) were primarily top prevent you getting infected, but it was the T cells etc which worked to prevent you getting seriously ill. And the T cells held up much better than antibodies . Thus these boosters were primarily about trying to prevent infection, not about preventing serious illness and death of those who have either already had Covid or have been vaccinated. The infection and death graphs back this up. Infections are high and have been for months, but deaths* are actually relatively low and continue to be, in fact they have been falling consistently for a month :

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Deaths with or from covid (7 day average) :

5 Nov = 171

11 Dec = 119

Is this more anti suppression "misinformation" ? It can't be as I have provided sources.

* Including those who died of something else but just happened to have Covid when they died.

Yes, we know, As many have been saying, vaccines have broken the link between high levels of infection and hospitalisation / deaths.

On 11/12/2021 at 16:40, Anna B said:

According to today's paper there are 1,265 cases of Omicron, out of about 67,000,000 people, but zero in hospital, and no deaths.

I don't know where they get their figures from but it doesn't sound like the mighty pestilence that we've been lead to believe. Anyway so far it's good news.

However, in the same breath they tell us that the booster will give only 70% protection against Omicron now, yesterday it was 90%. I'm guessing it's something to do with percentages which can give misleading impressions in mathematics, but it will be enough to scare some people witless. 

Hospitalisations and deaths lag behind cases.  It is clear though that cases are rising exponentially  so even if Omicron is less severe, so many people will be infected so quickly that it will find the unvaccinated and vulnerable and still cause severe illness. A small percentage of a very big number still amounts to a significant number. 

3 minutes ago, redruby said:

Hospitalisations and deaths lag behind cases.  It is clear though that cases are rising exponentially  so even if Omicron is less severe, so many people will be infected so quickly that it will find the unvaccinated and vulnerable and still cause severe illness. A small percentage of a very big number still amounts to a significant number. 

Especially as the UK has one of the lowest provisions of ICU beds in Europe - and significant nursing vacancies.

Edited by Longcol

52 minutes ago, redruby said:

This has absolutely zero credibility, total nonsense in fact.

The Government seems to be overplaying it's hand with Omicron and its actually tuning more people into how absurd it all is, the current situation is a push on the low booster jab uptake, no more no less.

I was reading an article about "mass formation" yesterday, have a read and it might explain why some on here are like they are.

2 minutes ago, top4718 said:

This has absolutely zero credibility, total nonsense in fact.

The Government seems to be overplaying it's hand with Omicron and its actually tuning more people into how absurd it all is, the current situation is a push on the low booster jab uptake, no more no less.

I was reading an article about "mass formation" yesterday, have a read and it might explain why some on here are like they are.

Why not link to it if it's that good?

Do you think the NHS has enough beds and staff to cope even with a few thousand extra covid cases without again having to postpone operations / treatment of eg cancer cases?

23 million have had the 3rd dose so far.

Another half a million doses were done yesterday unless I am misreading it

Th

58 minutes ago, redruby said:

There is much truth in this.

Only 2 weeks in and the indications are more infectious but likely to be less serious.

So it is undoubtedly being used to encourage more of the population to get their jabs because IF this mutation or further mutations should prove to cause some serious illness then time will have been lost.It will be too late

There are the hardliners who will refuse the vaccine but the demand for the booster remains high and there  might be a few waverers who add to the numbers of those vaccinated.

As for the new Plan B it is riddled with inconsistencies and does nothing to reassure the public.

Of my own sons,one has been in at work throughput the last 2 years,and the other hated working from home and went back at the first opportunity and would hate to be  stopped again.

The few steps back to normality should not be checked at this stage of the game

7 hours ago, RJRB said:

Th

There is much truth in this.

Only 2 weeks in and the indications are more infectious but likely to be less serious.

So it is undoubtedly being used to encourage more of the population to get their jabs because IF this mutation or further mutations should prove to cause some serious illness then time will have been lost.It will be too late

There are the hardliners who will refuse the vaccine but the demand for the booster remains high and there  might be a few waverers who add to the numbers of those vaccinated.

As for the new Plan B it is riddled with inconsistencies and does nothing to reassure the public.

Of my own sons,one has been in at work throughput the last 2 years,and the other hated working from home and went back at the first opportunity and would hate to be  stopped again.

The few steps back to normality should not be checked at this stage of the game

I agree mostly but I think the mention of going back to ‘normality’ is interesting. Like it or not much has changed during the pandemic and we won’t go back, at least not entirely, to what ‘normal’ was in 2019.  Some things like cashless payments and online shopping were ‘normal’ back then but they have accelerated massively in the past couple of years, much more quickly than would have happened otherwise.  Work for many people has changed.  Personally I’ve seen lots of changes at work happen in a very short space of time. Many would have happened anyway but over a much longer timespan. Others would have been dismissed for various reasons but have been proven to work, and work better than the old ways, through necessity. 

Edited by redruby

Why do people believe a word these people say ? :

March 2020: The UK could have up to half a million Covid deaths

19 March 2020: 12 weeks to flatten the curve.
2 April 2020: 100,000 COVID-19 tests a day by the end of April.
20 April 2020: secured 400,000 gowns from Turkey (the famous planeload).
November 2020: Modelling suggests 4,000 deaths per day worst case scenario.
16 December 2020: Boris Johnson says Christmas is safe.
19 December 2020: Boris Johnson announces Christmas is cancelled.
Spring 2021: get double vaccinated to get out of Covid and back to normal life.
July 2021: if final stage of lockdown is released then we could have 200K cases per day by August.
Autumn 2021: get a booster to save Christmas.
8 December 2021: Face coverings legally required in most indoor spaces.
13 December 2021: Work from home guidance and vaccine passports still threatened

Edited by Chekhov

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

But given that most are working from home and have been for a while, why the need to return to the office in the first place?

Yes, we know, As many have been saying, vaccines have broken the link between high levels of infection and hospitalisation / deaths.

So why are we doing all this ?

I'll tell you why, the world has gone stark staring mad. The Covid fear is feeding on itself.

The government start of frightening the people to ensure compliance with their unparalleled draconian suppression measures, then the people  (apparently) want more and more "protection", and so the government gives it to them. Then people feel even less confident as the government have introduced more "protective measures", and so it goes on. 

And on. 

And on.
And on.

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

Especially as the UK has one of the lowest provisions of ICU beds in Europe - and significant nursing vacancies.

There will be even more if they're all forced to wear masks all day forever....

Edited by Chekhov

Guest makapaka

As expected - a week or so ago it was decided by my daughters school that masks had to be worn in communal areas and when circulating between lessons.

A week later - compulsory mask wearing in school including lessons.

It never ends.

Imagine if the tories “beat omicron” as reported by the bbc. Would be almost like winning a war wouldn’t it - i wonder if that would help at the election boxes. 

My thoughts are that ‘it never ends’ because our leaders have not taken the actions needed to end it! Lots of half measures and dithering and delays whilst ignoring scientists has got us where we are.