'Smart' Meters

18 minutes ago, melthebell said:

they already know when everybody uses most electricity...when people are are home from work and school and cooking tea and the washers on etc, they dont need a smart meter to tell them that

we actually got paid by Octopus for taking part in their couple of months save electricity hour things, and surprisingly we did save money despite not having everything blazing to start with.

we pre charged the phones etc, ate earlier or later, didnt put the lights on etc and the missus got money knocked off her bill

That's just not true

When you give your meter reading every month on traditional meters  how will they know what time of day we are using it? 

Just now, Jack Grey said:

That's just not true

When you give your meter reading every month on traditional meters  how will they know what time of day we are using it? 

Why do you think they did save money hours between 5 and 7? because they know that is the busiest period...generally

6 minutes ago, top4718 said:

So predictable how these threads pan out, the usual gullible ones doing the powers that be's bidding like lap dogs and dishing out insults to everyone who can through it, just how it's planned.

I'll repeat, they are not spending millions installing smart meters free of charge to save you a few bob I can absolutely guarantee that.

Post #19 is probably the closest to the truth so far.

You stick to doing what your masters tell you and don't get involved with real debate.

Its so confusing 

It's conservatives who are questioning the motives of corporations and it's the liberals who are willing to take it from behind 

You know why...... control

They are blinded or even drunk with the power of a tiny minority controlling the majority 

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Why do you think they did save money hours between 5 and 7? because they know that is the busiest period...generally

You're so frothy at the mouth to prove me wrong that you didn't even take the time to read my theory  

8 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Oh that must be right then 🙄🙄🙄 I will post the capped rate table in the morning and then you can make your own mind up with actual numbers. 

Do you actually believe there was a such a massive push to get people on to smart meters purely out of concern that customers get the best possible deal and that they reduce their energy by watching how much they are using?  We were emailed, phoned and sent letters very regularly about this over a long period and they got increasingly pushy before my OH finally got sick of it and arranged for smart meter.  
There is middle ground between being a tinfoil hat, crackpot conspiracy theorist thinking it’s all an evil plan to ‘control’ us and being gullible enough to believe all the marketing fluff about smart meters.  

Edited by redruby
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Oh that must be right then 🙄🙄🙄 I will post the capped rate table in the morning and then you can make your own mind up with actual numbers. 

If I was wanting advice on this matter I think I would prefer go to Citizen’s Advice rather than the Sheffield Forum, thanks.

Edited by redruby
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, redruby said:

If I was wanting advice on this matter I think I would prefer go to Citizen’s Advice rather than the Sheffield Forum, thanks.

Citizens Advice are jack of all trades.....master of none 

1 hour ago, redruby said:

54 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Citizens Advice are jack of all trades.....master of none 

For once, Jack is actually right. That page doesnt even tell you the latest Government capped rates, and they are merely perpetuating the myth that Prepayment is a rip off, which it hasnt been for years.

Page 30 of this PDF tells you the latest capped rates:

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-9714/CBP-9714.pdf

Based on the OFGEM average house (the calculations used to calculate the price cap) of 3000 electric units (8.22 a day) and 12000 gas units (32.88 a day) ), the costs for utilities in the Yorkshire region are as follows:

DD customers - £2.96 a day for electric, £2.66 a day for gas = £5.62 a day

Prepayment customers - £2.92 a day for electric, £2.65 a day for gas = £5.57 a day

Still want to maintain prepayment costs more?

As an aside, Electric only houses are actually better off on prepayment, once 4.5kwH are used a day (a tiny amount for an all electric house).

Edited by HeHasRisen

9 hours ago, top4718 said:

I'll repeat, they are not spending millions installing smart meters free of charge to save you a few bob I can absolutely guarantee that.

They are not installing the free of charge because we are already paying.

They were allowed to raise prices quite some time ago to cover purchase and installation of the Un Smart Meters.

They are only Smart for the provider and don't do anything that the customer cannot do without one.

The meter itself saves you no money whatsoever.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Do you actually believe there was a such a massive push to get people on to smart meters purely out of concern that customers get the best possible deal and that they reduce their energy by watching how much they are using?  We were emailed, phoned and sent letters very regularly about this over a long period and they got increasingly pushy before my OH finally got sick of it and arranged for smart meter.  
There is middle ground between being a tinfoil hat, crackpot conspiracy theorist thinking it’s all an evil plan to ‘control’ us and being gullible enough to believe all the marketing fluff about smart meters.  

Very well said.  I fully agree

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

They were allowed to raise prices quite some time ago to cover purchase and installation of the Un Smart Meters.

They are only Smart for the provider and don't do anything that the customer cannot do without one.

Not strictly true. Mine tells me how much I have used today and the last 7 days. Old ones dont do that. All useful info for monitoring usage.

10 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

That's just not true

They don’t need to. They already know how much electricity they have supplied, when they supplied it and where it has gone.

14 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I don’t know whether my smart meter saves me money, or not.

What it does do, is to make me aware of how much I’m using. That makes me a bit more careful about leaving things on when I don’t need them.

It also gives me an easily accessible record of what I’ve used, which is useful. And it keeps my account up to date, without me having to clamber about the cellar to take readings.

I’ve no doubt at all, that smart meters are more useful to the energy companies than they are to consumers. But I like mine and find the information that I get from it very useful.

22 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I don’t know whether my smart meter saves me money, or not.

What it does do, is to make me aware of how much I’m using. That makes me a bit more careful about leaving things on when I don’t need them.

It also gives me an easily accessible record of what I’ve used, which is useful. And it keeps my account up to date, without me having to clamber about the cellar to take readings.

I’ve no doubt at all, that smart meters are more useful to the energy companies than they are to consumers. But I like mine and find the information that I get from it very useful.

That's fine and I agree with what you have said.

I am not saying that they are useless at all,  but just pointing out that the meter itself will not save anyone  one single penny despite the TV Ads claiming that they save you money.

They make it easier to check the energy use of things you use in your home and many,  like you will find them useful in raising awareness  of the energy you use. 

I simply object to the false claims.      The only way to save money is to use less energy and anyone can do that,   with  or without a Smart Meter.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

I disagree, for the customer

you dont need to go out in the wind rain and snow to check the numbers

you get a proper per pence look at what you owe for the day rather than just a random bunch of moving numbers

you dont need to go out in the wind rain and snow to write down the numbers to send off

your scraggy bit of papers not going to get lost after youve sent it off

you see how much things cost you in realtime, ive noticed it goes up the most when the showers on