Walkley Post Office earmarked for closure!

On 24/01/2023 at 22:24, makapaka said:

The rose house could be a great pub in the right hands - smack bang in Walkley - get some decent beers on and it would get used no problem.

it’s had its windows boarded up for 6 months so who would go in there now.

don’t get the jospresso thing shutting down - always seemed busy to me.

the vintage shop - shame.

as for beeches - as a butcher it was great the rest of the shop just sold stuff you could buy cheaper across the road - hopefully new owners get that moving.

The couple who have taken over Beeches have started doing curries on site and our neighbors had a couple yesterday. They said they were great and good value at £6.50.

I've been banking at the Virgin Money branch on Bradfield Road, Hillsborough since it was Yorkshire Bank in 1995, it doesn't open at all on Saturdays! What?! Surely they'd do a roaring trade on a Saturday afternoon? Particularly when Wednesday are at Home?!

I can't imagine many people do their banking on their way to the football!  Cash machine, yes, but there are plenty of those in S6.

• Like 2

I’ve just been told by a neighbor that the Post Office is closing tomorrow and I don’t understand why because it was well used.

On 12/05/2023 at 17:26, Mister Gee said:

I’ve just been told by a neighbor that the Post Office is closing tomorrow and I don’t understand why because it was well used.

Apparently it's because the new owners don't have a post masters qualification or registration if I remember rightly. 

Poor show really. 

47 minutes ago, sheffandy said:

Apparently it's because the new owners don't have a post masters qualification or registration if I remember rightly. 

Poor show really. 

I’ve been picking up some negativity about the new owners on FB and from my neighbors, apparently they didn’t show up to run their business for a few days this week and nobody could contact them. 

Post offices, toilets, ATMs and benches should be protected public amenities that should be mandatory provisions. Oh well, atleast they still have the library... that's open half a day a week, on months beginning with M, on leap years....

On 24/01/2023 at 22:24, Guest makapaka said:

The rose house could be a great pub in the right hands - smack bang in Walkley - get some decent beers on and it would get used no problem.

it’s had its windows boarded up for 6 months so who would go in there now.

don’t get the jospresso thing shutting down - always seemed busy to me.

t

but it was tiny and never massively busy when I went in. Always wondered how it could be possibly make enough money for Joe to live on.

On 13/05/2023 at 18:28, Mister Gee said:

I’ve been picking up some negativity about the new owners on FB and from my neighbors, apparently they didn’t show up to run their business for a few days this week and nobody could contact them. 

Unfortunately I think they will struggle without the post office. When I lived in Walkley two things attached me to Beaches - the butchers which had excellent quality meat and the post office. Am skeptical whether this new curry part is enough to keep it going or not. There are many options for takeaway curries in Walkley, so its a very saturated market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

but it was tiny and never massively busy when I went in. Always wondered how it could be possibly make enough money for Joe to live on.

Unfortunately I think they will struggle without the post office. When I lived in Walkley two things attached me to Beaches - the butchers which had excellent quality meat and the post office. Am skeptical whether this new curry part is enough to keep it going or not. There are many options for takeaway curries in Walkley, so its a very saturated market.

I miss the butchers, I’ve been up to the Ranmoor shop a couple of times but it’s a pain getting parked up there when I’ve been on a Saturday. I used to like the ten minute walk up the hill for some nice bacon and fresh bread cakes on a Saturday morning.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2023 at 08:11, XPertByExperien said:

I've been banking at the Virgin Money branch on Bradfield Road, Hillsborough since it was Yorkshire Bank in 1995, it doesn't open at all on Saturdays! What?! Surely they'd do a roaring trade on a Saturday afternoon? Particularly when Wednesday are at Home?!

I don't understand the connection.

There is already a continually dwindling number of reasons why anyone would need to go in person to a bank these days. For those very few reasons that remain, I can't imagine they are the sorts of activities that one would simply casually pop in on the way to a match. They will surely be more serious appointments in which one will set some proper time aside to attend. 

Its 2023. If people need cash they use a machine. If people are making payments they are using their cards. If money is being transferred around it's dealt with online or through apps.  If bills or remittances are to be paid they are done through direct debits or bacs transfer...

On the rare occasion I need to speak to a human being, I can call them on the phone 24 hours a day or even arrange a video chat.  On the even rarer occasion I do need to go into branch, it will usually be for a complex purpose which will require a scheduled appointment with a specific person.

I can't of course speak for all but personally I have better things to be doing on a Saturday afternoon than wasting time in a bank. 

On 13/02/2023 at 09:33, feargal said:

I can't imagine many people do their banking on their way to the football!  Cash machine, yes, but there are plenty of those in S6.

Completely agree.   Doesn't make much sense to me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/05/2023 at 18:28, Mister Gee said:

Give this thread a bump by quoting myself. The shops been shut all this week which isn’t surprising after what happened last weekend. The bloke is by all accounts a full weight wrong un.

Don't give us half a story!  What happened last weekend?