Fargate Redevelopment

6 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

OK. There's a delay damages clause which can be added to an NEC3 contract which compensates the non breaching party rather than imposing a penalty on the breaching party. Similar outcome.

Yep exactly - but it doesn’t need the government or council to change laws.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Anna said that for a cheap dig , nothing else .

If you want to take it as a cheap dig,  that's up to you but I saw it as simply pointing out the fact that councils cannot make laws.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

If you want to take it as a cheap dig,  that's up to you but I saw it as simply pointing out the fact that councils cannot make laws.

We already know that .

On 14/07/2023 at 08:27, Bargepole23 said:

It is flats, and goes by the name of Kangaroo Works. Tesco are opening in one of the retail spaces on the ground floor.

In other Fargate related news...

https://www.sheffieldbid.com/latest-news/chapel-walk-transformation-continues-with-124-million-investment?fbclid=IwAR15q3c89qElo1rtrmTUyR3b24qDA3JAfM9LaX5SFxkoolxyPvwISga3IUs

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/henry-boot-construction-ltd_kangaroo-works-sheffield-the-striking-activity-7102978421999185921-MMkH/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

Kangaroo Works without the scaffolding up.

I was looking at old pictures and discovered that there used to be a splendid fountain at the top of Fargate, called Goodwin Fountain. It's a shame they removed it. I also saw pictures of Virgin Megastore, I used to love going in there. Orchard Square is not a bad place to spend half an hour or so, but the fact that they closed the toilet facilities makes it less desirable.  I've heard New Look are in trouble, financially. If they close Fargate, it will be another nail in the coffin, with Topshop, Paperchase and Next closing and M&S said to be struggling. The council need to be realistic about the rates businesses are willing to pay to rent the units. There used to be an independent craft and homeware shop on Barker's Pool, it was called Stone The Crows! They had a sign up in the window, just before they closed saying that they had been driven out by Sheffield City Council's rent rises. I notice Next moved their store to The Moor, which is owned by private landlords...

53 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

e council need to be realistic about the rates businesses are willing to pay to rent the units.

Councils don't dictate business rates, they merely collect them on behalf of central government. You have been told this before. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Councils don't dictate business rates, they merely collect them on behalf of central government. You have been told this before. 

I am talking about the rent of the shop, not coroporation tax.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am talking about the rent of the shop, not coroporation tax.

Do the shops on Fargate belong to SCC - or another property company? And it isn't corporation tax, it is business rates.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Do the shops on Fargate belong to SCC - or another property company? And it isn't corporation tax, it is business rates.

As I understand it, Barker's Pool, Fargate & High Street are council, The Moor is all private, even the street itself on The Moor is private. I'm not sure about Haymarket.

• Like 1