Sign in to follow this  

Air Source Heat Pumps

The government is offering £5,000 grants to encourage people to install these Air Source Heat Pumps.

I am being  inundated with coldcalls, but I have only ever heard negative reports of these things: that they don't work at low temperatures, cause major disruption to install, are much more expensive than the £5,000, provide poor, inadequate heating...  etc etc etc. But according to my callers this information is out of date and wrong...

So I'd like to hear from the horse's mouth. Has anybody in Sheffield got one and what is your personal experience of them? 

I'm needing new central heating system so I'm tempted, but not sure what to choose. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.

Edited by Anna B

Boris encouraged people to get one that’s enough for me to reject the idea.

• Like 1

Air source heat pumps are very slow to raise temperatures so they are geared towards underfloor heating.

They do not have the heat capacity of a boiler which can heat a room quickly using radiators.

'Air Source Heat Pump costs me £850 a month to run and doesn't keep my house warm'

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/air-source-heat-pump-costs-25803172

Six reasons not to buy a heat pump
Installing a heat pump might not be the best option for your home, and the cost could be prohibitive

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/how-much-buy-heat-pump-cost-install-save-money-green-tech/

If companies are cold calling you, they probably won't give great service.

The heat pumps can work, but the install and choice of equipment needs to be correct.

Horror stories are probably from people who've put them in the wrong kind of system, gone with inferior parts or not installed sufficient capacity.

I'm not convinced by them, way to early to jump in and actually get one. My boiler isn't too far away from needing replacing as well and i'll be in the same predicament.

I'm hoping they get somewhere with the hydrogen development. I read a few weeks or so ago that they were wanting to try it out on a whole town but that meant everyone had to swap over to hydrogen usage and it was abandoned due to resistance from some of the town.

I'd stick with what you know, a gas boiler that can be converted to a hydrogen blend  if/when required. Bit more info here,

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hydrogen

6 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

Boris encouraged people to get one that’s enough for me to reject the idea.

Yes very wise.

The opposite direction to Boris Johson is usually a safe bet.

The only thing that  I know about air source heat pump systems is that they contain a fan and all fans over time get noisier due to various reasons ,eg dirt ,dust build up and bearing wear causing blade imbalance.

I would certainly want to see a system that’s been in a few years beforehand .