Audi Driverless Car

Grandson insists he saw this in Sheffield city centre today but can't find out any info. Anyone else seen it?

Seen plenty of Audis without a competent driver....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driverless cars are just round the corner.

Do we really want them?

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

Driverless cars are just round the corner.

I dont want them as I fear change.

Fixed for accuracy.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Fixed for accuracy.

You are long retired and no longer have to commute and therefore are not affected by all this extremely inconveniencing and costly "change" that is coming down the line for millions of people, and you have endless time on your hands to troll people on here about it.

Am I right or am I right?

5 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

You are long retired and no longer have to commute and therefore are not affected by all this extremely inconveniencing and costly "change" that is coming down the line for millions of people, and you have endless time on your hands to troll people on here about it.

Am I right or am I right?

No.

5 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

😁 yeah sure.

I wish I was retired, christ only another 25 or so years to go.

Hard luck.

You do realise not everyone commutes by car dont you? Or does that happen in your dystopian prediction of the future?

Edited by HeHasRisen

Surely people who commute by car would actively welcome driverless cars once the technology is mature?

1 hour ago, dave_the_m said:

Surely people who commute by car would actively welcome driverless cars once the technology is mature?

Some might, but for most drivers driving isn't a chore - they enjoy driving.

1 hour ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Some might, but for most drivers driving isn't a chore - they enjoy driving.

I enjoy driving. There is nothing better than having some leisure time exploring and tootling around the countryside or along some beautifully scenic coast road stopping off at anywhere that takes my fancy.

But, and I suspect the same applies to many many drivers, what I don't enjoy is the daily grind of commuting and having to battle my way through the rush hour traffic 5 days a week facing the same burden again back home after a hard day of work.  I don't enjoy some long monotonous slog up the motorway back from an airport or relative's house or a holiday destination in the middle of the night.  

Therefore, I very much embrace the evolution of all driving aids and safety features which have been developed on our modern vehicles.  I've been around long enough to recall the days before power steering, fuel injection and ABS. I've wondered at the marvel of electric windows, auto gearboxes, aircon and particularly reverse cameras allowing me to throw my car into the tightest of spaces with half the effort.  I love the godsend that is cruise control and auto speed limiters making long motorway journeys much less of a effort, especially when trying to concentrate maintaining a speed through a average limit zone. My current car has features including keeping track to make sure I am in the same lane and not drifting, warning me if I become too close to a car in front, reacting quicker than my human brain could ever do when someone accidentally pulls out without signalling...... all of which contribute to making it an easier, safer and more comfortable journey.

As for the next generation of driving aids, which includes driverless elements, bring it on! 

I have no fear it's going to stop me from "enjoying driving" when I want it and I think those protesting are kidding themselves.  I'm well aware of those traditionalists who still enjoy driving around in some classic with its lack of power steering, manual controls and choke but let's be frank, most of the time they are driving such vehicles as a hobby. They are driving them quiet runs at the weekend or special shows or track events. What do they drive daily during the week? A modern day car with all the gizmos and gadgets that goes with it. 

Self-driving features are just that. A tool. A feature. An aid to the driver when they want it. 

I'm sure all the same arguments come up time and time before whenever any sort of new feature or gadgets was invented. Lets all remember the adding of those new fangled wing mirrors, the big reluctance to mandatory seat belts, the protests about those silly health and safety Nazis introducing a motorway speed limit .....all not so long ago, I've heard plenty of screams and wails about automatic gearboxes "How dare a car dictate to me when I change up or pull down".   "It's not proper driving'  Well they are still around and with the movement to electric cars and hybrids, they are going to be default position over here before long.  Over in the States they've already been default position for 3/4 of a century.  

As others have said, it seems to me that some people just enjoy and revel in their reluctance to embrace change and progress.  

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 3