Why Should People Vote Labour In May ?

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

No idea. There wasnt an aging population back then who needed social care to the same level you see now, and i assume funding streams worked very differently.

Also I presume there was revenue from the steel works etc.

I think a reform of the N.H.S. to include social care is what is needed to create a knock on effect and help the council budget.

I also accept people expect more these days and expect bigger wages/salaries.

2 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Also I presume there was revenue from the steel works etc.

I think a reform of the N.H.S. to include social care is what is needed to create a knock on effect and help the council budget.

I also accept people expect more these days and expect bigger wages/salaries.

I don't think they expect more exactly, but they didn't expect things to go backwards.

If we could afford it in the 1970's when money was much less abundant, we should be able to afford it now. 

None of this is a surprise. It was predicted way back in the early 80's by Economists who disagreed profoundly with Thatcher's proposals, but weren't heeded. 

Same with the aging population, a result of the post war baby boom, so hardly unexpected. 

Instead of fixing the roof when the sun shone, the Tories have been ladling the profits into the greedy mouths of the already wealthy. Yet now the chickens are coming home to roost they have the cheek to blame the war in the Ukraine, Putin, the pandemic, in fact everything but their long term policies. It's 'Labour caused the Economic crash' lies all over again...

Edited by Anna B

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I don't think they expect more exactly, but they didn't expect things to go backwards.

If we could afford it in the 1970's when money was much less abundant, we should be able to afford it now. 

None of this is a surprise. It was predicted way back in the early 80's by Economists who disagreed profoundly with Thatcher's proposals, but weren't heeded. 

Same with the aging population, a result of the post war baby boom, so hardly unexpected. 

Instead of fixing the roof when the sun shone, the Tories have been ladling the profits into the greedy mouths of the already wealthy. Yet now the chickens are coming home to roost they have the cheek to blame the war in the Ukraine, Putin, the pandemic, in fact everything but their long term policies. It's 'Labour caused the Economic crash' lies all over again...

My bold. 

Why wasn't the roof fixed between 1997 to 2010 when we were supposedly awash with money as a nation & we supposedly had the greatest mind in a generation as Chancellor for most of that period? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Why wasn't the roof fixed between 1997 to 2010 when we were supposedly awash with money as a nation & we supposedly had the greatest mind in a generation as Chancellor for most of that period? 

Because Blair's government was exactly the same as the Tory government, which is why Corbyn stood to give people a real choice. Starmer is also the same as the Tory government so it won't change with him either. All free market economists. We had our chance with Corbyn and blew it.

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Because Blair's government was exactly the same as the Tory government, which is why Corbyn stood to give people a real choice. Starmer is also the same as the Tory government so it won't change with him either. All free market economists. We had our chance with Corbyn and blew it.

So if you're claiming they're all the same, bearing in mind it's the local elections you'll be voting for in May, who are you going to vote for? 

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

So if you're claiming they're all the same, bearing in mind it's the local elections you'll be voting for in May, who are you going to vote for? 

I have been bleating for ages about the poor quality of information about candidates for ages. How are you expected to vote blind without knowing the people standing? I'm in a marginal so do get a lot of flyers through the door, I take the trouble to read them all, but most aren't worth the paper they're written on. Pointless and useless.  

However I did get a few from Rob Reis for the LIb Dems. In particular one which was a big improvement on the usual guff. It was a text heavy CV, (I wonder if he's on SF?) It was very informative, included a personal biography, (he lives locally in the area he wants to represent.) His Aims, and gave his opinions on several issues, which chimed with my own perceptions. He's a campaigner not a sycophant and he seems sincere. So having considered spoiling my voting slip with 'None of the above' I have decided instead to give my vote to Rob.

He won't be perfect I'm sure, but I got the impression he had the energy and drive to make a difference. He'll certainly try, I feel sure of that. He might let me down, but I'll be keeping an eye on him with interest. 

Edited by Anna B

On 07/04/2023 at 10:25, cressida said:

We only get the Lib/Dems.  round to our house,  now they are worth voting for locally and get things done,  never see or hear from other parties,  makes me wonder if they're  too embarrassed to talk to constituents.

The Lib dems are campaigning hard in this area. Very negative with the claims in their campaign leafletting. According to their leaflet, the Lib Dems have a plan to make Sheffield better. It's s shame that this plan isn't detailed in their campaign literature! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

He won't be perfect I'm sure, but I got the impression he had the energy and drive to make a difference. He'll certainly try, I feel sure of that. He might let me down, but I'll be keeping an eye on him with interest. 

Well yes, what will likely happen is that anyone elected will quickly find out there is absolutely sod all they can achieve from their position anyway.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

Bang on .

18 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes, I suppose if you demand every pavement swept daily you probably are a bit angry, aye.

i know its unpalatable to say but the population is ever growing, people are living longer we are allowing many many people in legally and illegally, the sinkers are having more kids to get the benefits, the so called ill are claiming more and the percentage of tax payers to people not contributing is decreasing its no wonder no party has the funds to do what everyone wants and should have ?? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

i know its unpalatable to say but the population is ever growing, people are living longer we are allowing many many people in legally and illegally, the sinkers are having more kids to get the benefits, the so called ill are claiming more and the percentage of tax payers to people not contributing is decreasing its no wonder no party has the funds to do what everyone wants and should have ?? 

All this pales into insignificance compared to the amount of resources  being consumed by the wealthy. A report shows that the wealthy consume 50 times more water, for example, than the less well off as well as contributing massively more in climate change gasses. But, hey ho, let's follow the right wing narrative that it's the undeserving poor who cause all our problems.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, max said:

All this pales into insignificance compared to the amount of resources  being consumed by the wealthy. A report shows that the wealthy consume 50 times more water, for example, than the less well off as well as contributing massively more in climate change gasses. But, hey ho, let's follow the right wing narrative that it's the undeserving poor who cause all our problems.

HOW DOES THAT WORK THEN??? wealthy pay more in for a start, employ more, buy more pay more vat , more stamp duty etc etc 

• Like 1