Humza Yousaf Muslim, Rishi Sunak Hindu, Tony Blair Catholic

Scotland has a Muslim first minister and the UK has a Hindu prime minister who both have gained power without winning a regional or general election.  Some may say the religions of the first minister and prime minister are of no relevance but if that is true why did Tony Blair wait until after he left office before converting to catholicism?

Edited by Axe
  • Haha 1

I think it's largely irrelevant. I'd care more about competence and conscientiousness in a leader, than their private beliefs (or what they claim to believe at least).

• Like 1

I'm more concerned about any leaders policies rather than their religion but others who are deeply religious may feel differently.

I certainly would be willing to listen to others concerns, regarding any clash between religion and politics.

These clashes do happen in other countries but we, fortunately,  have avoided it for a long long time.

Edited by Organgrinder

@Axe, I agree with 'Waldo'  - their religion is irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I think it's largely irrelevant. I'd care more about competence and conscientiousness in a leader, than their private beliefs (or what they claim to believe at least).

:thumbsup:

I agree with others. I don't see it as an issue really.

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Axe, I agree with 'Waldo'  - their religion is irrelevant.

It was relevant in the SNP leadership contest because Kate Forbes campaign suffered as she is a member of the Free Church of Scotland, an evangelical Calvinist denomination with socially conservative positions, such as opposition to same-sex marriage. 

2 minutes ago, Axe said:

It was relevant in the SNP leadership contest because Kate Forbes campaign suffered as she is a member of the Free Church of Scotland, an evangelical Calvinist denomination with socially conservative positions, such as opposition to same-sex marriage. 

OK. That was Scotland, for the Scottish Assembly, and from my (admittedly limited) knowledge of SOME of Scotland, they can be a bit, shall we say, conservative - with a small 'c' - a bit like the Irish.

I'm still getting over three Scottish Downing Street P.M. s I didn't care for - it's not an easy time to be in charge nowadays,  I wouldn't have wished it on anyone tbh.😄

Edited by cressida

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Scotland has a Muslim first minister and the UK has a Hindu prime minister 

But i thought the UK was institutionally racist  🙄 

Edited by Jack Grey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

According to some, Jack, according to some.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

But discrimination because of religion is not racist.