Council Tax In Sheffield Looks Set To Rise By 4.99%

Well Sheffield's council tax has gone up by the maximum allowed for about the last 4 years, so it shouldn't be a big surprise. 

It's mainly to pay for social care (supposedly?). 

Edited by Baron99

A couple of questions for the whingy whiners on here.

1. Who do you think should pay for the essential services that keep the city running?

2. Who is it that we “keep on voting in “?

Facts here, if anyone is bothered about anything so mundane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_City_Council_elections

28 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

A couple of questions for the whingy whiners on here.

1. Who do you think should pay for the essential services that keep the city running?

2. Who is it that we “keep on voting in “?

Facts here, if anyone is bothered about anything so mundane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_City_Council_elections

We pay our council tax in the hope that services will be provided for that money.

Council tax goes up every year and is increasingly expensive, but services have deteriorated to a trickle and as such, most are not fit for purpose. 

Instead we get money wasted on felling perfectly healthy trees, poor planning schemes that have to be undone soon after, and daft schemes like CAZ which is designed to make life even more difficult (and expensive) for council tax payers. 

The council seems to have stopped working for the benefit of the people who pay them their council tax, and work against them instead using their money.

The hardpressed Council tax payers are understandably fed up and angry.   

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We pay our council tax in the hope that services will be provided for that money.

Council tax goes up every year and is increasingly expensive, but services have deteriorated to a trickle and such most are not fit for purpose. 

Instead we get money wasted on felling perfectly healthy trees, poor planning schemes that have to be undone soon after, and daft schemes like CAZ which is designed to make life even more difficult (and expensive) for council tax payers. 

The council seems to have stopped working for the benefit of the people who pay them their council tax, and work against them instead using their money.

Very true

46 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Council tax goes up every year and is increasingly expensive, but services have deteriorated to a trickle and as such, most are not fit for purpose. 

37 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Very true

I’d be interested to know which bits you’d cut. 

Do remember that this year’s council tax is going up by significantly less than inflation.

Here you are. What would you cut?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/your-city-council/budgets-and-spending/council-tax-2022-2023.pdf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I’d be interested to know which bits you’d cut. 

Do remember that this year’s council tax is going up by significantly less than inflation.

Here you are. What would you cut?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/your-city-council/budgets-and-spending/council-tax-2022-2023.pdf

Council tax is going up by less than inflation because they are not allowed by law to put it up any more.

Our posts were not about us wanting to cut anything so I don't understand the question.

Who are you anyway - the council budget police?

And what makes you think you can demand we answer some unknown question?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Council tax is going up by less than inflation because they are not allowed by law to put it up any more.

Our posts were not about us wanting to cut anything so I don't understand the question.

Who are you anyway - the council budget police?

And what makes you think you can demand we answer some unknown question?

I’m just a bloke on the internet. A bit like you, but clearly with better manners.

The question is relevant. If you don’t want to pay the council tax increase, then services will need to be cut further. I thought that you might have some suggestions, rather than just a load of whinges.

Edited by Prettytom

48 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I’m just a bloke on the internet. A bit like you, but clearly with better manners.

The question is relevant. If you don’t want to pay the council tax increase, then services will need to be cut further. I thought that you might have some suggestions, rather than just a load of whinges.

The suggestions people on here will have are pointless, as they wouldnt save enough. Anyone harping on about shipping containers, rainbow pedestrian crossing and/or cutting trees down has no concept of the issue at hand.

The only way money would be saved is if poor Ethel down the road doesnt get her twice a day visits,  and no sane person is going to suggest social care is cut.

Edited by HeHasRisen

47 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

It's not that I want to pay less council tax, (although that would be nice) I just want to see it spent better, and on the things we need.

I want to pay for better services that benefit us all, not shipping containers on fargate and stupid plant pots blocking off roads etc.

I also want to see them getting value for money instead of signing rip off contracts with huge privatised government bodies like Capita and Amey.

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The suggestions people on here will have are pointless, as they wouldnt save enough.

The only way money would be saved is if poor Ethel down the road doesnt get her twice a day visits,  and no sane person is going to suggest social care is cut.

Indeed, the care sector's been in turmoil since forever, and is unlikely to improve IMO, they've no staff for a start, nobody who's qualified in care wants to work LONG hours for pennies more than minimum wage! And they need to attract people who know what they're doing, not just Fred or Joe Bloggs from down the Job Centre because they'll employ anybody that can pass a basic DBS disclosure.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It's not that I want to pay less council tax, (although that would be nice) I just want to see it spent better, and on the things we need.

I want to pay for better services that benefit us all, not shipping containers on fargate and stupid plant pots blocking off roads etc.

I also want to see them getting value for money instead of signing rip off contracts with huge privatised government bodies like Capita and Amey.

And there we go. Do you really really think plant pots and shipping containers are the reason council tax is going up?

The answer is "no".

Dartford just whacked 15% on their council tax. Why do you think that was?

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

I could give the council  (not you) loads of suggestions for saving money and, along with many others, have been telling them for years.

Getting them to listen is the problem.

We also did not say that we didn't want to pay the council tax rise.  Can you show me where I did?

Your better manners should teach you not to claim people have said something when they have not.

If we want to have a good old whinge, which we probably will whilst this lot are in charge, then we will and don't need your blessing.

My belief is that you are one of the council wallahs but anyway,  find something to support your statements before you talk to me further.