Council Tax In Sheffield Looks Set To Rise By 4.99%

4 minutes ago, srtaylo0 said:

At the end of the day - we vote the decision makers in so ultimately we are to blame.  

I wonder what counts as essential services ? 
essential pet projects ? 
and just having a laugh with public money. 

Oh please,

Democracy is nothing but a sham when both/all  parties would do exactly the same.

Where's the choice in that?

'Democracy' is just a convenient get out clause...

Edited by Anna B

I can see where you are coming from on lack of choice.

But if there was a party who said in their manifesto - come what may we are not raising council tax - would you vote for them ?  
If enough people would then surely a party perhaps one that is blue would do it 😀

Edited by srtaylo0

1 hour ago, HumbleNarrator said:

The retarded Sheffield voters will continue to keep voting for the same shambles.

You may well be retarded and can speak for yourself but I certainly am not.

I haven't voted for that lot in the council for many years and family and people I know are the same.

They are still returned despite a low turnout but what can we do about that if there is no one else to vote for, unless you want a Tory council too.

Our voting system doesn't work. They call it democracy but it's not.

Making posts like that doesn't say much about your mental processes.

I cant believe its going up by nearly 5% again which is way more than a lot of wages and pensions go up per annum ...

And why has central government withheld funding from councils such as Sheffield in former years ... is it to stop waste of funds?

Sorry if I am not very well informed in this but I can only go by things I see , such as erecting giant unsightly containers in the middle of Fargate only to pay more money to tear them down again before they have even been used?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Its no different to anything, higher rents, mortgages, food prices, gas, water, electric, fuel, its always the little people that get stung

technically its not the max, isnt 5% the max?

[/nit picker mode off]

On the link to the BBC it says it is the max but on the story below it says 5% is the max as you say. 

Local authorities have new powers to raise council tax by 5% without holding a referendum, and it is expected almost all authorities will raise taxes by the maximum amount.

Millions of households facing 5% council tax rise from April | UK News | Sky News

• Thanks 1

I mean, you could all move to Dartford instead if you like.

4 hours ago, iansheff said:

On the link to the BBC it says it is the max but on the story below it says 5% is the max as you say. 

Local authorities have new powers to raise council tax by 5% without holding a referendum, and it is expected almost all authorities will raise taxes by the maximum amount.

Millions of households facing 5% council tax rise from April | UK News | Sky News

The government has been starving councils of sufficient funds for years, so services have gone down and down, so they have to raise council tax by 5%.

But the government will be able to sail into the next election claiming they are the 'party of low taxation.' having neatly passed the buck.

No doubt they will focus on various Labour councils for putting up council tax, and ignore Tory ones.

What a perfect bit of Tory blame shifting that is. Absolutely classic.

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

you all could vote for another party 

What difference would that make?

10 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

Reported for use of the R word, I for one take considerable offence to THAT word as I've previously been called it on here and other forums.

Oh noes. 

So you're offended by a word, so what?  Saying "I'm offended by that" is nothing more that a little whine, an indication that you lack a level of emotional maturity. It doesn't entitle you to any privileges or rights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

What difference would that make?

Absolute none. Local authorities are beyond skint. 

16 hours ago, bassett one said:

you all could vote for another party 

That is the point that Anna was making, there isn't another party to vote for, which would do things differently.

Labour, these days, believes in the same things as the tories and so on.

If we were to get a Labour government, Starmer will carry on with the privatisation so things are not much different whoever rules us.
Labour councils are kept short of money by the Tory government so knowing the Tories are to blame, you won't vote for a tory council will you?

The system of party whips also runs against democracy. We can vote an M in to represent us but the party makes him vote for what they, the party want.

Despite the fact that we send them there to represent us, they are not allowed except in rare free choice moments.

Our system stinks and encourages corruption.