Wards & Stones Breweries

Went in the Teller just before Christmas and they had Stones on, so i had one "That's just £4.90 please"  first and last pint i had in there!

44 minutes ago, soad said:

Went in the Teller just before Christmas and they had Stones on, so i had one "That's just £4.90 please"  first and last pint i had in there!

£2 pint in Norfolk on Dixon lane .

38 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

£2 pint in Norfolk on Dixon lane . 

One quote comes to mind,Pants down!!!😪

On 28/12/2022 at 19:12, dan2802 said:

Wards was always a terrible pint. There's a reason the brewery is now gone.

There is a reason, but not what you're suggesting.... Wards parent company was Vaux Breweries in Sunderland, they suffered a city boardroom coup, the new management wanted to go out of brewing and become a hotel and pub owning chain... Wards had put £5.5m into the coffers in the previous year but they didn't consider it enough, but worse still blocked a bid for a management buyout.. Shameful business. 

Wards was a good pint. It depended what pub you was in. The Richmond on the Woodthorpe in the 70's and the Hawk and Dove same in the 70s. The landlords made the difference in the beer.

Shahespeare on Shalesmoor  kept a good pint of  Wards 

14 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Shahespeare on Shalesmoor  kept a good pint of  Wards 

As did The Royal Standard (was it St Mary's Gate?)... The Royal Oak on Hollis Croft and The Red House on Solly Street. 

I once saw a spewdent take a pint of Wards back to the bar in the Red House pub, on Solly Street, claiming it smelled of sewage. It was explained to him that Wards smelled like that because of the maltiness.

It was never long afore a newcomer to Wards Best Bitter had a bad case of Shytes Macgregor.

sadbrewer.

hey up mate......happy new year to you.

Lets not forget The Queens Hotel on Scotland Street...plus the other pub lower down ont same side. I forget the name of it but it was run by the unusual Ruth and Barry.

I recall some other Wards pubs too:

Manchester Hotel Nursery St.
Domino         Egerton St.
The Matilda    Matilda St.
The Harlequin  Johnson St.
Brown Cow      Mowbray St.

I'll leave others to name the Wards pubs out of town cos ah cant be bovvered.

11 minutes ago, zakes said:

I once saw a spewdent take a pint of Wards back to the bar in the Red House pub, on Solly Street, claiming it smelled of sewage. It was explained to him that Wards smelled like that because of the maltiness.

It was never long afore a newcomer to Wards Best Bitter had a bad case of Shytes Macgregor.

sadbrewer.

Lets not forget The Queens Hotel on Scotland Street...plus the other pub lower down ont same side. I forget the name of it but it was run by the unusual Ruth and Barry.

Ruth and Barry ran  R and Bs . Lot of thought went into that :rolleyes: . Don’t know what it was called before that .  Keep  your pecker up mate 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zakes said:

sadbrewer.

The Nags Head Shalesmoor (renamed  Kelham Island by incomers and luvvies ) This pub was run by Anita  the man eater , Who could strike fear into the plastic gangsters that frequented the area . 

24 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Ruth and Barry ran  R and Bs . Lot of thought went into that :rolleyes: . Don’t know what it was called before that .  Keep  your pecker up mate 

It was the Old Crown and then R & B’s Uptown Bar. Ruth Roper-Tye owned a racehorse at one time. Had a few lock-ins in there.

13 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

It was the Old Crown and then R & B’s Uptown Bar. Ruth Roper-Tye owned a racehorse at one time. Had a few lock-ins in there.

The CID from down the road spent most of their night shifts in there.