Water/Gas Leak Stannington Declared A Major Incident

43 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I’ve heard from people on the next road to me who also haven’t been affected but Cadent still came round checking to see if our gas was still on. They advised us not to switch our gas off at the mains. Anyway Stannington is now famous as we’ve been on Look North and Calendar! 

Tell me what gameshows you will be appearing on now you are a Celeb and before you go Hollywood to make a Movie with Mr Clooney Can I have your Autograph.  :hihi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On itv Calender tonight the question is asked if home insurance will pay these homeowners? And if their insurance will go up from it. 

Unbelievable this should be Yorkshire water responsibility.

Edited by dutch

Whoever is "responsible " the whole sorting out, cleaning up, fixing of appliances etc. will have to be paid for somehow......it won't be free and it won't be cheap. I presume that the home owners will pay eventually   either by claiming on their insurance with the following increase in premium or  Yorkshire Water will pay and recover the cost by increasing the charges for water, sewage etc.

34 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Yorkshire Water will pay and recover the cost by increasing the charges for water, sewage etc.

Maybe their shareholders could get a reduced dividend next year?    .....    ahem 🤭

• Like 2

Obviously an extreme event this one but Happens regular am afraid in terms of utilites damaging each others assets ,   I’d imagine Cadent will pay out as there the gas supplier and it’s there asset at fault ,  and then they’ll claim third party damage off YW

I'm glad I don't live in Stannington if I'm honest.

But if I did I'd use my new generator to power my freezers, my (remaining) petrol to fuel it, my gas bottles for my heaters, my gas bottles for my stoves and I reckon my generator could power the TV and kettle too.

I'm not bragging like, just sayin.....

Edited by The_DADDY

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I'm glad I don't live in Stannington if I'm honest.

But if I did I'd use my new generator to power my freezers, my (remaining) petrol to fuel it, my gas bottles for my heaters, my gas bottles for my stoves and I reckon my generator could power the TV and kettle too.

I'm not bragging like, just sayin.....

Is the electric off there too?

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Is the electric off there too?

I've read somewhere it could be in places but apparently the grid is struggling to cope.

Could go out at any time.

Poof. And the lights go out.

Very worrying for those who haven't got a generator wouldn't you say?

Its unfeasible to suggest domestic energy users in an urban area all get backup generators.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Its unfeasible to suggest domestic energy users in an urban area all get backup generators.

Erm......HELLO!!!!!

I managed it. There's just no excuse for being unprepared..  I bet you haven't got one have you?

I live in Stannington and our home has been affected - no gas for the longest 3 days of my life. Electricity has been off in some areas too - fortunately not mine - due to overload of system by people using fan heaters which were given out by Cadent. We also were given a hotplate for cooking. A lot of homes still without gas. Cadent have been amazing - working fgrom 7am to 11pm. YW not so amazing... Great community spirit though - people offering food and lifts etc. Great place to live(normally!)

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Erm......HELLO!!!!!

I managed it. There's just no excuse for being unprepared..  I bet you haven't got one have you?

Of course I havent, exactly the same as, at a guess, over 99.5% of other urban households. 

Events like this are extremely rare and if the power goes off for a few hours at other times (which it hasnt for me for years btw) I can easily cope.

I also live on a hill and dont have gas. So I suspect events like this affecting me are not going to occur.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 2