Car Radiator Blinds .

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

At one time most cars used Radiator blinds in winter , Now I only see the odd lorry or Landrover with the grill covered , so  are rad blinds not effective on modern cars .

Radiator, cooling systems, & engine development over the years is the simple answer. 

We've come a long way from Side valve engines, 6 volt Positive earth electrical systems, vacuum wipers, 3 speed gearboxes and cars made like tanks, that had as much in the way of aerodynamics as one.

LOL, we didn't even have heaters as standard in some cars.

Happy daze changing to studded tyres or chains when snow was down 8).

Edited by Rockers rule
-
  • Like 2

My 1966 Landie had a heater. It was bolted to the floor in the passenger side and looked like an air raid siren with two little doors on the front. Apparently it was for the benefit of any army officers being chauffeured around by a, presumably, shivering lowly private. Personally I used to wear my motorcycle clothing when driving that thing in the winter, minus the helmet. Even down to the gloves as the steering wheel was made of metal. A previous owner had glued carpet to the inside of the roof to stop condensation dripping onto the old bonce. The good old days eh but at least it was a laugh 🤣

2 hours ago, Jim117 said:

My 1966 Landie had a heater. It was bolted to the floor in the passenger side and looked like an air raid siren with two little doors on the front. Apparently it was for the benefit of any army officers being chauffeured around by a, presumably, shivering lowly private. Personally I used to wear my motorcycle clothing when driving that thing in the winter, minus the helmet. Even down to the gloves as the steering wheel was made of metal. A previous owner had glued carpet to the inside of the roof to stop condensation dripping onto the old bonce. The good old days eh but at least it was a laugh 🤣

Been  there done that in a series two  , cheers .

41 minutes ago, geared said:

You'll only need a radiator cover if your engine is having trouble maintaining operating temperature.

The winters here just aren't cold enough to cause that with modern engines.

My  17 year old Landy never reaches heater warmth til its been running 30 mins or so . just wondered if the old way of rad cover was  viable , seems as though  its not .

2 hours ago, Jim117 said:

My 1966 also has one of these, the left side door is fastened shut, so all the heat (!!) comes out of the right side opening... I too dress up to drive it...it's very draughty too!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smithy266 said:

My 1966 also has one of these, the left side door is fastened shut, so all the heat (!!) comes out of the right side opening... I too dress up to drive it...it's very draughty too!

The draughts , the noise , the bumps , the dripping roof , Magic int it .

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

This is the (deluxe) (optional extra) heater for the 1957 Reliant (Convertible) I'm restoring.  

The blower (6v fan) is fitted under the dash & drags the warmth (?) from the radiator via a pipe that connects the two.

Remember a local chap in the late fifties had what I believe to be a Mk 1 Regal convertible, it had the "close together" headlights.