The Doctor's Orders Pub, Glossop Road

AY1975

42 minutes ago, AY1975 said:

Yes, that's right, it was still the West End in the early 2000s when I first moved to Sheffield.

Agreed, they used to do really good food too.  For a short while after Little Critters Brewery gave it up it still had a good selection of ales.

It's a few years since I last went in there, though.

One Sunday I went in there for lunch only to find that they weren't doing food but they said they were happy for people to bring in takeaway food bought elsewhere (as some pubs that don't serve food do - the Fox & Duck in Broomhill used to let you do that when they didn't serve food themselves) so I got a falafel from Falafel King on the other side of Glossop Road and took it in the Doctors Orders and had a beer with it. 

I drove past yesterday and there were lights on, it wasn't open though, be sad to see it go if it doesn't reopen.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, AY1975 said:

they were happy for people to bring in takeaway food bought elsewhere (as some pubs that don't serve food do - the Fox & Duck in Broomhill used to let you do that

I think they had a link to the fox and duck aswell at one point - might even have been their pub for a while.

1 hour ago, top4718 said:

I drove past yesterday and there were lights on, it wasn't open though, be sad to see it go if it doesn't reopen.

I’m really surprised someone doesn’t take it on and have a go - you’ve got the university, hospital, drama theatre, octagon and west street all nearby.

nice building with outside space and capacity for food.

Obviously will depend on lease / rates etc but hopefully someone does.

I called in on Saturday night. Yes I agree it's pretty grim now. It seems slightly worse each time I go in.

I'm ever hopeful it will become a decent pub because that is my memory of it in the Tetley/West End days. It's a nice big old building with loads of space inside and a big outdoor area at the front, plus the location is perfect. The current management don't look to me like the people who will oversee its resurrection.

• 2 months later...

This pub has always been a strange place to me. Never felt like a locals type pub, not a town pub, and certainly not a food pub. So all it had left was students really, and they don't seem to want to use it either, because they'd rather frequent the much better Francis Newton and in spring/summer the big outdoor area up there. I just can't see a market for it, and that's probably why nobody has taken it on.

2 hours ago, sheffandy said:

This pub has always been a strange place to me. Never felt like a locals type pub, not a town pub, and certainly not a food pub. So all it had left was students really, and they don't seem to want to use it either, because they'd rather frequent the much better Francis Newton and in spring/summer the big outdoor area up there. I just can't see a market for it, and that's probably why nobody has taken it on.

Possibly true, the only time I ever went in was before gigs at the Octagon.

Guest makapaka

When the lads from little critters had it the beer and food were good and it was a busy place.

I saw one of the lads who worked there at the time recently and he said it was crazy rent quote from the pubco that led to them coming out - it was doing well before that.

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

When the lads from little critters had it the beer and food were good and it was a busy place.

I saw one of the lads who worked there at the time recently and he said it was crazy rent quote from the pubco that led to them coming out - it was doing well before that.

Sadly that's no surprise, they'd rather see a place boarded up than take a lesser cut.

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

Pubco  . End of story  :loopy:

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Pubco  . End of story  :loopy:

Yup - they’re a disgrace those pubco outfits.

They had a good boozer going them young lads - now it’s probably done for.