Consumer Rights / Returning Faulty Item.

My mom bought a air compressor inflator thing for car tyres; I think more than 6 months, but less than 1 year ago. She bought it in store from a retailer.

The item has developed a fault, it just doesn't work at all now; what are her rights (under, I think, Consumer Rights Act 2015)? Can she demand a refund; or will retailer have the right to repair or replace the item?

Thanks.

To be honest I’m surprised you got 6 months out of it I went through loads of them before paying around £80 for a decent one that’s been in weekly use for 2 years now.

17 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Can she demand a refund; or will retailer have the right to repair or replace the item?

After 30 days, the retailer is only obliged to offer a refund if efforts to repair are unsuccessful.

10 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

To be honest I’m surprised you got 6 months out of it I went through loads of them before paying around £80 for a decent one that’s been in weekly use for 2 years now.

You went through loads and in weekly use for 2 years,  if your using it to keep blowing your tyres up it might be less hassle and messing about and cheaper long term to get new tyres.

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

He might have a rubber dinghy he takes out on the water every week.  

Or a blow up doll.  :hihi:

49 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I expect you're very knowledgeable about that type of inflatable.  

Probably get more sense out of one of them than you. :roll:

• Haha 1

My one was pinched out of an old Vauxhall and has done plenty of service.

Head down the local scrap yard, they've probably got loads of them as they're included with the emergency tyre on many cars.

5 hours ago, Dromedary said:

This seems to suggest that the fault needs to be present at the time of purchase, and onus is on the consumer to prove as much?

What if there was no fault at time of purchase, but a fault did develop after 6 months of normal use?

If the fault developed after the first six months of you owning the product, the onus is on you to prove the fault was present at the time you took ownership of it.

So, you should expect to pay for any reasonable steps and delivery costs to prove the fault was present at the time of purchase.

It’s always best to notify the retailer that you will be claiming any such costs back from the retailer in the event that the goods are found to be faulty.

If you manage to prove this, you can contact the retailer and ask them to reimburse you these delivery costs, plus any costs charged for inspecting the goods.

It’s always best to agree the approach the retailer will use to establish whether or not the goods are faulty.

If you don’t want to go down the route the retailer has suggested, make sure you’ve agreed a new approach with the retailer beforehand. This includes making sure costs are reasonable.

On 07/09/2022 at 10:52, Waldo said:

My mom bought a air compressor inflator thing for car tyres; I think more than 6 months, but less than 1 year ago. She bought it in store from a retailer.

The item has developed a fault, it just doesn't work at all now; what are her rights (under, I think, Consumer Rights Act 2015)? Can she demand a refund; or will retailer have the right to repair or replace the item?

Thanks.

Best and simplest answer: if the purchase was by a credit card, demand a refund from the CC company.

33 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Best and simplest answer: if the purchase was by a credit card, demand a refund from the CC company.

Sorry but possibly an incorrect answer. Sect 75 of the Consumer Credit Act only used to apply to goods over £100 (it may have changed) & it seems unlikely that a car tyre inflator (if I understand the post correctly) would have cost this amount!

Yes, the item only cost 36 quid I think. It was my understanding that the credit card was only applicable to items costing more than 100 quid.

Not exactly sure how it works; but doesn't a CC company normally require you to first attempt to resolve any issues with the retailer via normal channels? So refund via a CC is a last resort option?

Anyhow, problem sorted now. Turns out it was just a blown fuse, which they replaced, and it's all good now.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help though.

Edited by Waldo