Tram Disruptions

Just now, Funky_Gibbon said:

Not sure about that. I remember some years ago having to spend months on tram replacement buses between Meadowhall and Shalesmoor. Sometimes this stuff just takes time.

That would have been for the pre-arranged rail replacement work, which all areas of the network have had to endure at some point.

11 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

Not sure about that. I remember some years ago having to spend months on tram replacement buses between Meadowhall and Shalesmoor. Sometimes this stuff just takes time.

Was that for tramtrain preparation work? If so they may have had little choice really.

The Germans had it right in Wuppertal. It’s ancient and hangs from the rails over the road (doesn’t cause road traffic disruptions at all).

I rode on it in the 1970’s.

A more permanent solution to ‘patch repairs’ of the rail seating of our tram network is necessary me thinks? 🙄

Edited by Tipstaff
Misspelled

Just to report that at Middlewood for the last few days the dot matrix has been saying that tram information can not be displayed and to contact twitter. I thought at last they have recognised that the displays were a farce but it seems that only at Middlewood have they seen sense

No Tram Train to Rotherham yet again this morning due to Network Rail issues.  Then as soon as that was resolved Supertram promptly cancelled a number of this afternoon's Tram Train services stating that they had no staff.

You really couldn't make it up 

Edited by GleadlessLad

Not all drivers will be trained to drive the tram train.

as previously said it is not the fact that they may have had to cancel the tram train but the complete lack of coordination and information given to passengers wanting to get to Rotherham central or parkgate that is the issue

15 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Only a very small amount of passengers use the Tram-Train to Rotherham, even fewer go all the way to Parkgate. Most people use it as far as Meadowhall, which already has the Yellow Line, so hardly a major disruption. This is always going to occur when you have a light rail and a heavy rail network sharing the same track. I really don't know why they keep this charade going. Network Rail can't be happy about it.

That is really helpful for those who left their car at Parkgate and what to get back or turn up expecting to catch the tram

I don't know what the issue was but I do not think it was anything to do with light and heavy rail on the same tracks certainly the previous time was scum stealing cabling

On 21/04/2022 at 07:54, dutch said:

I agree with hehasrisen that we don't know really what the problem is.

But you are probably right that if this problem were in city centre or meadowhall they would do something, anything to fix it.

Maybe they took the Brighton/halfway parts to fix something in the city centre?

I've heard that they are waiting for parts from Germany....and then need to do some 'checking' to make sure the new parts are compatible with the old stuff. 

22 hours ago, Meltman said:

I've heard that they are waiting for parts from Germany....and then need to do some 'checking' to make sure the new parts are compatible with the old stuff. 

“ I know let’s have part of the system down for over a month and order some parts from abroad and hope they’ll fit “  

Maybe you can tell Supertram then where these parts are available in the UK, given your apparently baulking at such a transaction.

I hope when they get these parts and if they fit , that someone has the foresight to order more for stock

I've found out what the Halfway problem is. The equipment that tensions the overhead wire has failed, I believe it is on a pole just after the road crossing at Crystal Peaks. That explains why the overhead line looks a little saggy! They replacement bits are coming from Germany, and I noted yesterday that some works machines had been parked at Halfway terminus, so maybe something is happening at last.

• Like 1