Businesses May Have To Have 'Menopause' Policies.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

My point about this thread is that women appear to want to be treated exactly the same as men, except when it may not suit them.

What they want is the same consideration as a man would get for an illness specific to men.

There is no double standard, it only exists in your head.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

And that is quite obviously inconsistent.

Given that men and women can suffer different illnesses that are specific to their sex... it really isn't :?

• Like 2

In the interest of equality ,women can have their menopause policy whilst men can campaign for an andropause policy.

It seems that the outward symptoms are very similar.

On 28/03/2022 at 19:26, Anna B said:

Menopause symptoms can be easily relieved with HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy,) but it's not always offered to all women. I don't know why, if there are no medical contraindications, it should be.

HRT brings its own problems, in the case of my beloved a crippling acid reflux that she had never experienced before.

1 minute ago, Norbert said:

HRT brings its own problems, in the case of my beloved a crippling acid reflux that she had never experienced before.

Sorry to hear that. I presume she's stopped taking it, and seen a doctor about it. 

I  did say providing there are no contraindications to taking it. This sounds like a big one.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Sorry to hear that. I presume she's stopped taking it, and seen a doctor about it. 

I  did say providing there are no contraindications to taking it. This sounds like a big one.

Thanks, she tried half a tablet of HRT, and a quarter tablet, but a balance could not be found between the endless hot flushes that wake you up every half hour throughout the night, or acid reflux. Symptoms are now slightly alleviated by Gabapentin but it's been totally life changing. Thanks for the empathy Justin Chekhov, you...

As someone who worked into their late sixties I found one of the hardest things was how younger colleagues treated us older ones as though we were infirm when in actual fact we did the same work as good or better than them. I think a specific menopause policy will just provide a bigger stick for them to beat older colleagues with. By all means someone struggling with the menopause should have support as should anyone suffering with any medical condition. Just don't make it into a big deal. Most women I know had very few issues with the menopause (myself included). I appreciate I was lucky I just don't think assuming all women will suffer will do any good.

10 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

As someone who worked into their late sixties I found one of the hardest things was how younger colleagues treated us older ones as though we were infirm when in actual fact we did the same work as good or better than them. I think a specific menopause policy will just provide a bigger stick for them to beat older colleagues with. By all means someone struggling with the menopause should have support as should anyone suffering with any medical condition. Just don't make it into a big deal. Most women I know had very few issues with the menopause (myself included). I appreciate I was lucky I just don't think assuming all women will suffer will do any good.

Indeed.

I think it's a pity that age and experience are not more respected, and considered a great assett, (as they are in some countries.)

I know a great deal more about people and  the world and how it works than I did when I was young.

I have experience in bucket loads, but nobody asks.🙂

22 hours ago, Mister M said:

With regards to your second point, my understanding is that with regards to employment, many women over the last 50 years have been calling for things like equal pay, action against sexism and discrimination, maternity pay and rights, and affordable childcare. That's not being treated the same as men.

Of course most women's groups want equality, that's not unreasonable; but that's not the same as being treated the same as men because individuals have different circumstances related to their gender: the menopause being one of these.

People with mental health difficulties want equal respect and rights at work, but you wouldn't complain that if someone with such difficulties has time off work due to a crisis, then they're not entitled to equal respect and rights at work because they've already had their time off for a crisis. 

Or perhaps you would...:huh:

Ignoring the fact that this proposed legislation is obviously biased, let me ask you a different question. 

On the general principle, should people be employed to do a job who cannot do it as well as others who are willing to do it ?

And if so who should pay for that, the employer or the state ?

Personally I think the best person should be picked to do any job regardless of their race or sex or anything else.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Indeed.

I think it's a pity that age and experience are not more respected, and considered a great assett, (as they are in some countries.)

I know a great deal more about people and  the world and how it works than I did when I was young.

Both my employees are older workers, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I sincerely doubt we could actually have a laugh at work with many of the present snowflake younger generation.

Edited by Chekhov

20 hours ago, Magilla said:

What they want is the same consideration as a man would get for an illness specific to men.

Can you give me an example of the latter ? And I don't mean some specific medical issue, e.g. Prostate cancer on the one hand and Ovarian cancer on the other.

30 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Ignoring the fact that this proposed legislation is obviously biased, let me ask you a different question. 

On the general principle, should people be employed to do a job who cannot do it as well as others who are willing to do it ?

And if so who should pay for that, the employer or the state ?

Personally I think the best person should be picked to do any job regardless of their race or sex or anything else.

Both my employees are older workers, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I sincerely doubt we could actually have a laugh at work with many of the present snowflake younger generation.

How is the legislation biased? You're not seriously saying "it's not fair, women getting consideration due to the menopause, because I as a man don;t got the menopause, I'm not allowed this consideration"

Of course it should be the best person for the job. But who knows what life is gonna throw their way; they may develop cancer, they may have children, they may have a breakdown....Should employers be allowed to discriminate if someone has a family history of cancer or mental illness, or they are female and may request maternity leave?

What do you think the financial implications for the employer are of having staff who may be struggling with the menopause? 

Even better, seeing as though this is being consulted on by the Equalities Committee, you could always write of your concerns to Caroline Noakes MP, who I'm sure will be delighted to point you in the right direction. 

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

Indeed.

I agree wholeheartedly Anna. Shortly after I retired I went into Carphone Warehouse to buy a new phone. The young male sales assistant was very helpful but I could have cried when I asked him a question and he told me I could find the answer on line. He followed it up by saying 'Do you know how to use the internet'? I was an engineer for over 30 years and the majority of my work was computer based. I didn't bother putting him right and it did give me something to tell my friends about 🤣

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Can you give me an example of the latter ? And I don't mean some specific medical issue, e.g. Prostate cancer on the one hand and Ovarian cancer on the other.

In the building trade its bad backs ,wrists Knees then  chests through swallowing dust , cement , and other symptoms associated with noise and deafness , just to be going on with that is .