How Long It Will Be Before Our Society Becomes A Cashless One?

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The 1ps and 2ps come in handy for when something is 37p or 39p. They are also good fun on the slot machines at amusement arcades.

You are easily amused. 🤣

4 hours ago, Padders said:

I wish they'd get rid of them dammed 1p and 2p coins.  worthless.

Worthless to most people, Yes!   But by your own of admissions I've seen over the years ,  of being tighter than a Ducks arse,  the amount you will  have saved up over years and  putting them in Jars, Bottles ect you would be better weighing them in at a scrap yard rather  than changing them at a Bank. :gag:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The chances of getting mugged versus the chances of dropping or loosing a mobile phone are miniscule. If my till got jammed, I'd call my local handyman out to come and fix it. All the cash would remain safe inside there. I keep my purse safe in a zipped pocket in my bag at all times.

When I was growing up, card transactions were the oddity, not the norm. My parents paid with cash. My grandparents gave me pocket money with cash. I can remember a time when most businesses didn't take card, except for the larger chain stores and even they often levied a fee. 

Bull. You wouldn't remember jack all until at least into 2000.  Nearly all stores took debit cards without additional charges, You could even use them to buy tickets onboard the train or at the cinema , in many pubs and even in my local corner shop.  I certainly remember getting my slips to sign from all sorts of places day-to-day.

By the time you claim you emerged onto this world, the switch debit card had been in  existence for nearly a decade, contactless payments started before you even became a teenager.

Some of us were actually there love.  I don't care what your family did. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

When are you going to get into your head, cashless society is not a new thing. It is just the tools that have changed.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Bull. You wouldn't remember jack all until at least into 2000.  Nearly all stores took debit cards without additional charges, You could even use them to buy tickets onboard the train or at the cinema , in many pubs and even in my local corner shop.  I certainly remember getting my slips to sign from all sorts of places day-to-day.

By the time you claim you emerged onto this world, the switch debit card had been in  existence for nearly a decade, contactless payments started before you even became a teenager.

Some of us were actually there love.  I don't care what your family did. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

When are you going to get into your head, cashless society is not a new thing. It is just the tools that have changed.  

This picture was taken in 1997, two years after I was born. Do you see any card reader or contactless scanner? And I remember well before 2000, I remember the solar eclipse of 1999 for a start. 

The contactless devices were rolled out in early 2015, when I was approaching my 20th birthday. 

The first "cashless" shop that came to Sheffield was in 2018 and it was a pitta bread and dip shop on Leopold Street that I am not going to give publicity by naming. Everywhere else happily took cash. And up until the law changed, my local Spar even levied a 50p charge on card payments.

Screenshot_2024-03-17-19-41-34-345.jpg

I agree with Irene,

I'm not against anyone going cashless, but you should always have the choice of using cash.

I'm actually surprised that an highly intelligent lady like Irene takes this stance.

She's a beacon of hope for us cash stalwarts..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Going totally cashless will be a big problem in my view. When computers go down, you can't buy goods and services.

We keep a healthy amount of cash at home in the safe and I always use cash when I can. 

• Like 2

@Irene Swaine- that was a pub, not a shop, and they were slow to take up cashless payments - and I can't see a cash register there, either.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Irene Swaine- that was a pub, not a shop, and they were slow to take up cashless payments - and I can't see a cash register there, either.

Must have been a Free House then. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

What is the cream coloured device above the sign that says Special then?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Looks grey to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Apologies, that is a cash register, but as I said above, the public house trade was very slow to take up card payments, compared to other retailers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

Looks grey to me.

Looks like an undated photo that proves nothing 

• Like 1