How Long It Will Be Before Our Society Becomes A Cashless One?

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Well yesterday, it was cah only across all the Sainsbury's UK stores after an IT update meant all their, chip & pin, contactless failed. 

I wonder how many people left there shopping because they had no cash?

On 27/10/2022 at 04:01, 26b-6 said:

Not all tools can be hacked, like cash for example.

So the loss of any anonymity means nothing to you? Supposing you do or say something the Govt disagrees with, all they'd have to do is freeze your money. Now you can't buy groceries and you're 'locked out of society' Following a person from home to work to shops is very costly, but when you're leaving 'digital crumbs' everywhere, it is very low-cost easy way  to track you. It's also easy for shops to adjust their prices so you're always paying the maximum for their products and services.

My bold:    Exactly.  People don't know what they are sleepwalking into as they so willingly allow computers to take over their lives.    The lives they won't have  if a computer says so.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I wonder how many people left there shopping because they had no cash?

We were in Iceland's Food Warehouse at Heeley Retail Park the other week & they were having IT problems at their checkouts.  There was no contactless / mobile phone scanning available, only cash or chip & PIN. 

People are so used to just tapping their debit / credit cards these days, a few in the queues had to give up & leave their shopping because they had no cash or simply couldn't remember their PINs. 

23 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

We were in Iceland's Food Warehouse at Heeley Retail Park the other week & they were having IT problems at their checkouts.  There was no contactless / mobile phone scanning available, only cash or chip & PIN. 

People are so used to just tapping their debit / credit cards these days, a few in the queues had to give up & leave their shopping because they had no cash or simply couldn't remember their PINs. 

I found this very strange.  Surely can't have been that many.

Contactless hasn't made PIN go away. People still need to put their number in after so many contactless transaction for security. People still need to use it any time a transaction goes over £100.  People still need to use it anytime they go to an ATM. People still need to use it every time they do a transaction in branch.

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Contactless hasn't made PIN go away. People still need to put their number in after so many contactless transaction for security. People still need to use it any time a transaction goes over £100.  People still need to use it anytime they go to an ATM. People still need to use it every time they do a transaction in branch.

Me too - for exactly those reasons. Something tells me there was some 'spin' to this story - which incidently I couldn't find on the BBC News front page this morning.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Well yesterday, it was cah only across all the Sainsbury's UK stores after an IT update meant all their, chip & pin, contactless failed. 

No it wasn't.  

Most of the stores were still able to accept chip and pin card payments - it was just contactless affected.  In some others, all checkouts were working fine with just the handheld self scan devices and online ordering offline. 

It was only a small number of shops that had  complete failure and had to go cash only.

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I get what you're stating but you'd be surprised at the number who were walking out.  And these days, personally, it's rare for me to go to an ATM to get money.  I bet I've not used an ATM in the last 6 months.  The £50  in my wallet has been there for months while I use contactless & I don't recall having to put my PIN in anywhere during that time. 

With the majority of the regular payments / standing orders taken care by direct debits from our accounts, money comes in, money goes out.  We never see it.  

Also these days, many, don't even seem use their debit / credit cards but instead use their mobiles. 

On 25/03/2022 at 11:58, hackey lad said:

There’s nowt finer than having a bit of cash in your pocket . 

And that'll never happen whilst this lot you support are still in Office. :roll:

7 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

No it wasn't.  

Most of the stores were still able to accept chip and pin card payments - it was just contactless affected.  In some others, all checkouts were working fine with just the handheld self scan devices and online ordering offline. 

It was only a small number of shops that had  complete failure and had to go cash only.

there was also an issue with home deliveries, we received a £10 discount from sainsburys and given an alternative delivery date,  for a failed  delivery, due to the I.T problems

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

My bold:    Exactly.  People don't know what they are sleepwalking into as they so willingly allow computers to take over their lives.    The lives they won't have  if a computer says so.

You do realise that people have been willingly allowing computers 'take over their lives' for the past 70 years.

You know that payroll you receive, that bank account you use, those planes in the sky, that power that goes to your house, that water that flows through your tap, that military that protects us from harm, those shop shelves that keep being filled, that television and radio that keeps being broadcast, even that health and medical treatment you receive is all touched by the power of computers. 

This nonsense people have to think that rebelling against technology and digital banking  takes them off grid and somehow sticks it up to 'the man'.   This complete naivety they have that somehow computer dependance is a millennial thing and became prominent in the past couple of decades. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

No it wasn't.  

When we walked into Sainsbury's yesterday at around 9:30, customers were being met by one of the security guards telling everyone, "It's cash only.  The contactless & chip & PIN are down." 

I guess you actually had to be there. 

Here you all are, interested parties, take your pick.  ALL Sainsbury's shops were affected.  Tesco's were also having IT problems as well. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68584235

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/16/sainsburys-grocery-deliveries-hit-by-technical-issue

https://news.sky.com/story/sainsburys-suffering-technical-issues-and-is-unable-to-fulfil-vast-majority-of-online-deliveries-13095737

5 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

When we walked into Sainsbury's yesterday at around 9:30, customers were being met by one of the security guards telling everyone, "It's cash only.  The contactless & chip & PIN are down." 

I guess you actually had to be there. 

Here you all are, interested parties, take your pick.  ALL Sainsbury's shops were affected.  Tesco's were also having IT problems as well. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68584235

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/16/sainsburys-grocery-deliveries-hit-by-technical-issue

https://news.sky.com/story/sainsburys-suffering-technical-issues-and-is-unable-to-fulfil-vast-majority-of-online-deliveries-13095737

Hence why I used the word "most" not "all"

What's the point you're trying to prove?   Yes, so they store you went to had become cash only along with a handful of others.   However, the fault was not entirely universal.

From the sky news article:

All stores remained open during the technical blunder, the supermarket said, and the "majority" of chip and pin transactions were working.

Regardless, it was a temporary fault that was resolved.  Hardly a great life changing drama.

Nobody is suggesting that computers are completely infallible but then nobody can say that manual systems worked guaranteed 100% of the time either.