Is Sheffield Town Center Getting Worse Or Better ?

Just now, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

To be fair to Mr Risen...

... I wouldn't say many of his comments could be called 'smart'! :hihi:

I operate on a different plane to most people on here, it is beyond the understanding of mere mortals.

25 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You could always pop me on ignore if you don't like the "smart arse" comments, mate.

Very true.....but i was hoping you doing your lists would have kept you quiet 

I think Sheffield City Centre has improved since I first came to Sheffield in 1990

Gone is the hole in the road which stank of stale urine - we now have trams

Gone is the eggbox with the grass garden in front - we now have a much more pleasant fountains with seating area, which is lovely in Summer. The Winter Gardens is lovely too.

The Moor market is clean looking, smells fresh . The old Castlegate Market was an eyesore and stank.

Okay there aren't as many public toilets as there were 30 years ago, and Spoils has gone as has Virgin Megastore. Other than that things have improved.

I think some people are moaners, and invent reasons for not doing something because it's too much like hard work

Just now, Mister M said:

I think Sheffield City Centre has improved since I first came to Sheffield in 1990

Gone is the eggbox with the grass garden in front - we now have a much more pleasant fountains with seating area, which is lovely in Summer. The Winter Gardens is lovely too.

The Moor market is clean looking, smells fresh . The old Castlegate Market was an eyesore and stank.

Okay there aren't as many public toilets as there were 30 years ago, and Spoils has gone as has Virgin Megastore. Other than that things have improved.

I think some people are moaners, and invent reasons for not doing something because it's too much like hard work

No no no no. No, no. The Castle Market was the historic trading area of the city, ripped out by greedy town planners who earn £300k per year, all the old building needed was a lick of paint and some new gents toilets. You cant park outside the Lyceum anymore either. Therefore you are talking rubbish.

Or something.

50 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

No no no no. No, no. The Castle Market was the historic trading area of the city, ripped out by greedy town planners who earn £300k per year, all the old building needed was a lick of paint and some new gents toilets. You cant park outside the Lyceum anymore either. Therefore you are talking rubbish.

Or something.

I think it needed a bit more than a lick of paint! The building itself was grotty

Just now, Mister M said:

I think it needed a bit more than a lick of paint! The building itself was grotty

Well yes, I am merely quoting another forum member who, at the time, said all the building needed was a lick of paint and new gents toilets. Guess who it was?

Clue: old Sheffield is all he harps on about.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes, I am merely quoting another forum member who, at the time, said all the building needed was a lick of paint and new gents toilets. Guess who it was?

I can guess!

When it was announced that Castle Market was being demolished there was a thread on here titled 'Leave Castle Market alone: It's ours'.

I just can't see why anyone would want to keep it! It stank dreadful 

Just now, Mister M said:

I can guess!

When it was announced that Castle Market was being demolished there was a thread on here titled 'Leave Castle Market alone: It's ours'.

I just can't see why anyone would want to keep it! It stank dreadful 

Oh, look at who started it 🤣

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Gone is the eggbox with the grass garden in front - we now have a much more pleasant fountains with seating area, which is lovely in Summer.

The cluttered mess that replaced the simple design of the hole in the road isn't at all aesthetically pleasing.

Nor is loads of paving slabs and ball bearings instead of gardens with flowers in. It had proper seating before, and was lovely in summer before.

Trams and their infrastructure will never be pretty.

Edited by fools

27 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Oh, look at who started it 🤣

It got closed by Agent Orange and mort . It was going great guns with many proper Sheffielders contributing  the trolls got their way and Mort struck . Hell has risen from the Ashes or maybe some where else eh!!!!!!!.

35 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You talking to me .

Edited by cuttsie

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Great to see some positive comments. I think you're right, a lot has improved. Still a way to go though.

Personally I would relocate the market from the bottom of the Moor, (wrong place) and put it inthe old John Lewis building, right in the middle of town, and revamp Chapel walk to become an interesting independent and artisan shopping street opening onto Fargate. 

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Great to see some positive comments. I think you're right, a lot has improved. Still a way to go though.

Personally I would relocate the market from the bottom of the Moor, (wrong place) and put it inthe old John Lewis building, right in the middle of town, and revamp Chapel walk to become an interesting independent and artisan shopping street opening onto Fargate. 

bang on