Cruelty To Children

16 minutes ago, Box11 said:

You know what Social Services have always been a disgrace !!!!...

My good friend of many years was brought up in care in the 70s and 80s he told me he was placed with a family who had their own son.....

He wasn’t treated the same as their own son and some of their family members would say to him that they don’t treat you the same he gets and can do what he wants and you can’t !!!!!!

They mentally and physically abused him over 5 years !!!!....

He told his Social Worker about the abuse he was receiving and told him he wanted to leave the Social Worker turned round and told him....

“there is no where else for you to go”....

In-short Social Services left him to suffer for 5 years with this horrible family !!!!!....

It took my good friend 30 years to get over what they subjected him to and still to this very day he will not engage with that family or anyone associated with them !!!!!....

He also stated that....

“Social Services are not fit for purpose and their rule book needs ripping up and written again” !!!!....

I can't disagree with this. From my own experience with them they caused a lot of distress for absolutely no reason. Social services could do with a massive overhaul. Root out the incompetent, dishonest, corrupt ones and replace with properly vetted, caring and experienced workers (preferably ones who are experienced in bringing up kids) who are dedicated to making lives better. 

Sadly I can't see that happening though. 

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree. Punishing after the event doesn't bring the child back, or act as a deterrent, or stop the suffering. Still it goes on. 

Prevention is better than cure, but it seems to annoy people that other people are getting help.

The best foundation is to come from a loving family but sadly not everyone does.

Mentoring might help and education. Social workers  need to be experienced older people who've seen a bit of life, but they are not infallible either. Strong communities (with the busy body old matriarch) are long gone l'm afraid. 

Some people are very damaged to the point of insanity and should never be allowed to have children. I'm sure the warning signs are there.

And when families or neighbours etc raise the alarm they should be listened to.

I agree 100% especially with the last sentence 👏

1 hour ago, Box11 said:

You know what Social Services have always been a disgrace !!!!...

My good friend of many years was brought up in care in the 70s and 80s he told me he was placed with a family who had their own son.....

He wasn’t treated the same as their own son and some of their family members would say to him that they don’t treat you the same he gets and can do what he wants and you can’t !!!!!!

They mentally and physically abused him over 5 years !!!!....

He told his Social Worker about the abuse he was receiving and told him he wanted to leave the Social Worker turned round and told him....

“there is no where else for you to go”....

In-short Social Services left him to suffer for 5 years with this horrible family !!!!!....

It took my good friend 30 years to get over what they subjected him to and still to this very day he will not engage with that family or anyone associated with them !!!!!....

He also stated that....

“Social Services are not fit for purpose and their rule book needs ripping up and written again” !!!!....

That's a terrible tale, l hope it's rare, but l fear it's not as rare as it should be. The truth is no care is as good as a loving family, which is why SW do what they can to keep families together, but they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Some placements are successful, some are not, but l dare say that when SW says there's no alternative it's the truth. They are not overwhelmed with people wanting to be foster parents, and care homes are far from ideal even with the best will in the world.

So, what's the answer?

Edited by Anna B

48 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Social services could do with a massive overhaul.

I think I know how this is going to go . . .

Root out the incompetent, dishonest, corrupt ones . . .

Yep, get rid of the old ones. . .

. . . and replace with properly vetted, caring and experienced workers

No, keep the old ones. . . .

18 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Yep, get rid of the old ones. . .

That's not what I said but then you know that already don't you. 

IMO there's too much emphasis on paper qualifications and not enough on the right people for the job. (But that's true of a lot of jobs these days.) And there's too much unnecessary paper work.  Some, yes, but case files are huge. Who has time to read and digest them?

And it's grueling work so a lot of turnover of staff, and yet it needs continuity, sometimes over years, and stamina. A degree in social science just doesn't cut it when it comes to working difficult cases with very troubled people. 

Also poverty has a lot to do with some (not all) cases putting unbearable strain on families. People in distress sometimes do distressing  things.

12 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

That's not what I said but then you know that already don't you. 

Maybe you should volunteer to lead the Social Services team, since you are always offering so many potential improvements ?

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

Maybe you should volunteer to lead the Social Services team, since you are always offering so many potential improvements ?

Always? 

Now that's a lie. But then you know that too don't you.. 

What improvements would you suggest? 

Just now, The_DADDY said:

Always? 

Now that's a lie. But then you know that too don't you.. 

What improvements would you suggest? 

Easy.

Firstly, don't have kids with a nutcase.   Imagine how much grief you would have been spared if you'd worn only a condom, or kept your trousers on.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

That's a terrible tale, l hope it's rare, but l fear it's not as rare as it should be. The truth is no care is as good as a loving family, which is why SW do what they can to keep families together, but they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Some placements are successful, some are not, but l dare say that when SW says there's no alternative it's the truth. They are not overwhelmed with people wanting to be foster parents, and care homes are far from ideal even with the best will in the world.

So, what's the answer?

“Anna B”

It is terrible regarding not being overwhelmed by lovely people wanting to become parents for care children is a false assumption !!!!!....

My friend in question was wanted by a lovely family who used to foster him and his younger brother he told me he and his brother loved them to the moon and back they also had two sons of their own and they treated them all the same....

One weekend he asked why aren’t  they going to stay with them and he never got a explanation to his question !!!!....

Shortly after Social Services split him and his brother up by moving them to two different children’s homes he told me his heart was broken by this.....

When he was 35 he got talking to someone who lived in the same area as the nice loving family that fostered him and his brother anyway in-short he was told that they approached social services and tried their best to adopt him and his brother but social services told them no !!!!!....

It’s total madness how they would tell a lovely family they couldn’t adopt them both and keep them together instead of splitting them up and placing one with a family who would go on to abuse him and show him no love or warmth at all !!!!!....

There are many tales of loving families who would love to adopt but are passed over like I have said Social Services need to take a very hard look at themselves and make amends to their rule book because they are ruining people’s lives !!!!!.....

Edited by Box11

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

Easy.

Firstly, don't have kids with a nutcase.   

Snipped 

Define nutcase.. 

35 minutes ago, Anna B said:

IMO there's too much emphasis on paper qualifications and not enough on the right people for the job. (But that's true of a lot of jobs these days.) And there's too much unnecessary paper work.  Some, yes, but case files are huge. Who has time to read and digest them?

And it's grueling work so a lot of turnover of staff, and yet it needs continuity, sometimes over years, and stamina. A degree in social science just doesn't cut it when it comes to working difficult cases with very troubled people. 

Also poverty has a lot to do with some (not all) cases putting unbearable strain on families. People in distress sometimes do distressing  things.

Well, your beloved party has more ‘paper qualifications’ than you can waive a stick at, when you look at it’s  pubic sector membership, I’m sure that you would recall the plethora of  ‘Are you sure that your staff are towing the party line’ missives sent out to public sector managers relative to their ‘paper qualified’ staff members, if it suited you.

Edited by crookesey

On 30/01/2022 at 15:58, Anna B said:

You make a very good point about the emphasis on paper qualifications Anna.

I was listening to LBC this week, and a Family Support Worker with 20 years experience in the role, and a relevant degree could not apply for the role of Social Worker as she has a D in English rather than the required C.

Anyway I see that a Sheffield couple who lived in Walkley have hit the headlines of national newspapers for neglecting their son with physical and learning difficulties. The couple were jailed today:

Mother and stepfather jailed for six years for locking up and starving autistic son | Sheffield | The Guardian