Powerline Adapters

BigAl1

I am looking to buy an powerline adapter  kit to improve reception on my smart tv so far so good plenty of choice with plug in adapters  with both 1 and 2 ethernet ports. Looking at TP link for brand as seemingly good reputation and sensible prices

However I thought this would be a great opportunity to get rid of the unsightly wire that runs from my router to the desktop  (due to positioning of telephone sockets)

Now I get the fact that the most popular thing is that they come in packs of two one to plug in to the router and one to the device. However it seems impossible to buy either a 3 pack (router +2) to ensure they are all compatible or to buy a single add on plug and the only options seems to be to buy 2 packs and have a redundant spare.

Does anyone know of either

A retailer who might be able to source a 1+2 pack

A Contractor who uses them such as a CCTV installer who might have spare singles I could buy to add to a 1+1

Or failing this any knowledge about issues of compatibility if buying these things separately

Thanks

I have a couple of TP link adapters. I don’t use them now. They’re okay, but the connection isn’t 100% perfect, they intermittently drop signal. Keep meaning to eBay them.

I ended up using 2 routers instead, one supplied by my ISP, the other my own. Internet phone line comes in to home and connects to ISP router, my other router is upstairs and they’re (both routers) wirelessly connected to same network. Not sure what this setup is called, but pretty sure it has a name. Works a lot better than power-link adapters.

Let me know if you want to buy a couple of used ones though (wouldn’t recommend however).

Good luck!

Edited by Waldo

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I have a couple of TP link adapters. I don’t use them now. They’re okay, but the connection isn’t 100% perfect, they intermittently drop signal. Keep meaning to eBay them.

I ended up using 2 routers instead, one supplied by my ISP, the other my own. Internet phone line comes in to home and connects to ISP router, my other router is upstairs and they’re (both routers) wirelessly connected to same network. Not sure what this setup is called, but pretty sure it has a name. Works a lot better than power-link adapters.

Let me know if you want to buy a couple of used ones though (wouldn’t recommend however).

Good luck!

Thank you but not something I would want if not going to work well (no reason why it would work better in my house than yours).

The idea of trying to use two routers is something that quite frankly is beyond my limited capabilities and would not really solve the issues  for me as telephone sockets are nowhere near any of the equipment.

I started off from the premise that I could improve the TV in smart mode + connect up CCTV which would be simple but then why not also get rid of the wire to my desktop in my office that runs across my bedroom from the router. Easy enough to sort the TV /CCTV or the desktop but not both it would appear

Anyway thanks for the offer

I think the intermittent issue is something that all adapters suffer with, maybe it relates to the quality of wiring in your home. Anyhow, sorry I couldn’t be more help. Best of luck figuring something out that works for you.

3 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Have you considered a Wi-Fi range extender?

yes but that would only help with the TV not the CCTV recorder or the desktop. If the TV was the only item then I would have consider the range extender

22 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I think the intermittent issue is something that all adapters suffer with, maybe it relates to the quality of wiring in your home. Anyhow, sorry I couldn’t be more help. Best of luck figuring something out that works for you.

OK just out of interest what exactly do you have

Can't help with a supplier, but I can recommend TP Link.  Been using their products for years and the powerline adapters are great.

It might just be a case of buying a twin pack then finding the product number of the "receiver" unit and buying an additional one?

How to add an extra powerline adapter to the existing poweline network with pair button?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/319/

9 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Can't help with a supplier, but I can recommend TP Link.  Been using their products for years and the powerline adapters are great.

It might just be a case of buying a twin pack then finding the product number of the "receiver" unit and buying an additional one?

How to add an extra powerline adapter to the existing poweline network with pair button?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/319/

Thank you this is very useful I will have a bit more of a dig around on the TP site as had run up against brick wall trying to ask a question rather than trawling throught the FAQs

all that remains is to see if I can buy 3 without having to throw one away