Laser Eye Treatment

I was wondering if anybody had had this done in Sheffield? Where did you go, how long did it take to recover, how painful was it, is it permanent etc?

Before anybody asks why I didn't google it, I wanted to get people's experiences as well, and I'm probably less likely to get an unbiased view if I just look up company websites.

I'd like to get rid of my glasses but don't want to make a terrible mistake. So any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Is there anywhere in Sheffers that does it?

I thought you had to go to Manchester for the nearest clinic?

I was wondering if anybody had had this done in Sheffield? Where did you go, how long did it take to recover, how painful was it, is it permanent etc?

Before anybody asks why I didn't google it, I wanted to get people's experiences as well, and I'm probably less likely to get an unbiased view if I just look up company websites.

I'd like to get rid of my glasses but don't want to make a terrible mistake. So any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, I had laser eye surgery with Optical Express.I had to go to Leeds. It is painful, not straight away, but about an hour afterwards. You have to put lots of drops in, and I still use moisturing drops every day.Some people still have to use glasses for reading.It is defintely worth it as I find, I now use eye make up more often.:thumbsup:

Thanks!

there is somewhere in sheffield now that does it, its in meadowhall, near to whsmith, opened at the beginning of the year. i had laser eye tretment with the same company in nottingham and found the experience virtually painless, just a little awkward, both eyes were done on same day took about 40 mminutes for both eyes, if that. would recommend it.

like patricia said, the worst bit is the time about an hour after the operation, when the anthestic wears off and theres a little discomfort due to your eyes pupils still being wide open, which allows alot of light into your eyes, best thing is to get home and rest when you wake up you will feel alot better, your eyesight will be near what it is going to be, its amazing to wake up and not reach for your glasses. oh yea and once the operation is done thats it, it doesnt wear off over time, they have corrected your vision to hopefully 20/20. if you have any deteriation its due to your body, not because the op is wearing off, hope that makes sense?

Thanks for that! I am seriously considering it because I find glasses uncomfortable (and unflattering). I don't mind if I have to travel a bit further afield to get it done. But obviously if there is a reputable place in Sheffield, I'd rather do it here. My main concern is that I don't think one eye could be done (as it has something wrong with it in addition to short sightedness) and I don't want to take the risk of ending up partially sighted! I was considering having them done one at a time, if that was an option. I haven't really looked into it too much in the past. But now I'm ready to get new glasses as my current ones have nearly had it and thought it might be a good time to consider surgery instead.

Thanks for that! I am seriously considering it because I find glasses uncomfortable (and unflattering). I don't mind if I have to travel a bit further afield to get it done. But obviously if there is a reputable place in Sheffield, I'd rather do it here. My main concern is that I don't think one eye could be done (as it has something wrong with it in addition to short sightedness) and I don't want to take the risk of ending up partially sighted! I was considering having them done one at a time, if that was an option. I haven't really looked into it too much in the past. But now I'm ready to get new glasses as my current ones have nearly had it and thought it might be a good time to consider surgery instead.

Optical Express give you a thorough eye examination first, and would not do it if they thought you werent suitable. A consultation is free, why not have it ? I went to Meadow Hall for my consultation, and Leeds for the op.Its lovely to wear full make up a few weeks later.:thumbsup:

Sheffield Vision Centre based at the Hallamshire. Certainly not the cheapest, but if you have a high or complicated prescription it's the best place I found.

The only place I would ever recommend is Ultralase - I had mine done 6yrs ago and they are faultless.

I went for a free consultation 1 friday afternoon. They do the routine eye test - speak to your optician to ask about ur prescription - they ask why you want it done etc. 2 weeks later I was "under the laser".

I went with Ultralase because of many reason but the main reason - they have the highest turn away rate!! which means they really wont operate. They are possibly the most expensive but at the end of the day its your eyes at stake.

I wanted the best treatment - at the time - was wavefront but they told me my eyes were not suitable. I went in 2 weeks after consultation and you get your own "nurse" to do numbing eye drops and answer any last minute Q's and they stay with you till you go in....10 mins later you are in the recovery room - it feels like you are looking thru 2 empty milk bottles...

I had mine done in the winter at 4.30 so was dark outside (less pressure on eyes) and when I got dropped off at home I went straight to sleep. You get eye drops and a mask to wear at night. Also plain glass glasses to wear for a while to stop bits getting in eyes.

I was clear to drive within 24hrs and you get regulary check ups - only when they and you are happy (6months +) do they release you from care - but you can always go back with Q's etc.

Very good experience and priceless when you can wake up the next morning and see things properley!! Best thing Ive ever done!!!!!!!!

My only worry is reading about people experiencing Halo's at night from lighting. I do a lot of driving at night as well as other stuff so I think this may be a problem for me.

Has anyone on here experienced this? How bad is it?

My only worry is reading about people experiencing Halo's at night from lighting. I do a lot of driving at night as well as other stuff so I think this may be a problem for me.

I get "halo's" due to the type of surgery I had. Its not bad, once the early dark nights fall upon us, it only takes a couple of drives to get used to it. You can still see perfectly - its just the outside of the light is blurred very slightly.

I wasnt suitable for wavefront - which elimintates the halos.:thumbsup:

I think this is called "glare".I havent experienced it, but some people do.