The Great Big Chav Megathread... ALL discussion of Chavs here.

What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. What is the cause of the chav phenomenon?

• Its a media construct and we are focussing on an existing problem.
    • They are a product of social division and exclusion.
    • They are just born evil.
    • I don't care - just wipe them out!
    • Other (please say what)

you don't think then that is it a result of mans interference with natural selection?

I think there is a kind of Batesian Mimicry element that would explain why so many people appear to belong to this same social group that has become to be known as chavs. Most of these kids are really just normal decent kids that have unfortunatley aligned themselves in appearance with a much smaller and malignant group, which is why they seems so abundant.

I think a middle class middle aged woman, who lives in a big posh house in dore, with white marble pillars at the drive way, and large ornamental stone animals in the garden, dressing up as a 19 yr old, and getting picked up by a stretch white limo......is easily as chav as a 17 year old in a shell suit with a bleached fringe, baseball cap and brilliant white trainers.

Its all just about people not wanting to be on the bottom rung of the ladder and putting others down so they feel superior.

Oh, and its dead good fun ;)

It's not like they have just appeared is it? It's not really as if they come from one area either. If you go by the description that people have put on this site, then i have certainly seen chavs in Nether Edge, Dore, and The Highcliffe pub was packed with them until not too long ago.

I think it is partly a fashion, partly a way of thinking and enviroment, and partly something constructed by all the people who want to pick on a minority, and young white kids are safe ground.

aint "chav" just a new name for the old name of "townie" or am I missing something? =\ I dont think I'll ever understand all these stupid classifications people come up with to group people...

In my eye's im not bothered who they are or how they dress as long as they dont act like nobheads...

I think i get classed as some sort of goth or skater or I dunno what, just cus i wear baggy jeans and band t-shirts generally... OMG, god help the world, I fit into some sort of catagory...

except I dont smoke pot, or hang around near the town hall posing with a skate board...

I know guys that dress like "townie's"/"chav's" but are decent guys... dont see how you can classify someone buy their outfit...

ok sure, if they're racing around in a suped up nova and harrassing OAP's for money to buy bottles of cider then I'll let you off lol ;)

Originally posted by xafier

aint "chav" just a new name for the old name of "townie" or am I missing something? =\ I dont think I'll ever understand all these stupid classifications people come up with to group people...

In my eye's im not bothered who they are or how they dress as long as they dont act like nobheads...

I think i get classed as some sort of goth or skater or I dunno what, just cus i wear baggy jeans and band t-shirts generally... OMG, god help the world, I fit into some sort of catagory...

except I dont smoke pot, or hang around near the town hall posing with a skate board...

I know guys that dress like "townie's"/"chav's" but are decent guys... dont see how you can classify someone buy their outfit...

ok sure, if they're racing around in a suped up nova and harrassing OAP's for money to buy bottles of cider then I'll let you off lol ;)

Townies are more the middle and upper class people who dress up in expensive designer clothing.

Chavs are more the lower class that try to dress the same as the above, but fail miserably. Chavs are GENERALLY *note generally* the ones that caause more anti-social trouble.

Whats a chav. Can someone enlighten me please?

I hate this word.. Mainly because it's VERY over-used. Not just for how people act, but what they look like and how they dress.

I'm 19, work for a computer company, keep myself out of trouble and am probably into alot of the same things as most people in here. BUT.. if I put on a TN hat and a stone island jumper.. I'd be called a chav. Why?

Most people don't even know the meaning of the word, but use it anyway to group together anything and anyone they don't like.

"Well he wears clothes I don't like, he's a chav"

"Look at those bunch of drunken lads in the corner laughing away, I wish they'd keep it down, bunch of chavs"

Just because someone doesn't dress or act in a way you like gives you no right to call them a chav.. Ever considered how you'd feel if you were called a chav by someone, just because they didn't like how you dressed or acted?

No, I'm not protecting the lowlife scum that rob old women and spit at bus drivers etc etc.. Just wish we could get a ban on the word CHAV!!!

Rant over.

Originally posted by GazB

I hate this word.. Mainly because it's VERY over-used. Not just for how people act, but what they look like and how they dress.

BUT.. if I put on a TN hat and a stone island jumper.. I'd be called a chav. Why?

no i just call you a wolly :hihi:

You're right about CHAV being an overused phrase. Whilst in HMV the other day, I saw three books on CHAVs, including 'The little book of Chav'.

So, here and now, I solemnly swear never to use the word again. It was a victim of it's own success.