Grimesthorpe Part 3

Does anyone know when the bus started running along Petre St to Grimesthorpe ??? Trams were the mode of travel years ago, one went down Brightside Lane and along Upwell St, other trams ran through Firvale and Page Hall, and there was a tram terminus at the corner of Carwood Rd & Petre St [probably before Petre St was extended to Grimesthorpe] but I can't find any info about when the bus route started.

Does anyone know when the bus started running along Petre St to Grimesthorpe ??? Trams were the mode of travel years ago, one went down Brightside Lane and along Upwell St, other trams ran through Firvale and Page Hall, and there was a tram terminus at the corner of Carwood Rd & Petre St [probably before Petre St was extended to Grimesthorpe] but I can't find any info about when the bus route started.

Yes skippy. The trams actually terminated at Canada Street and the turn around was at Carwood Road (one street away) they then went to Nether Edge. This stopped in the 1920's so perhaps a clue there.

------------------

Hi Sheila, Mrs Beaver,s name rings a bell but i hardly new her,

i'am not sure if she had 3 steps to go down into the yard from her

back door. Your story was intresting about the pub, for me too get

too my gas meter i had lots of steps too enter the celler then i had

to go through another celler that took me right under the hair dressers.

Could have been a pub with the size of the celler, just think all that

booze down there. Gulp Gulp. :banana:

In one of our bedrooms there was a partion wall but at the top it was square windows,also had a curved wall in the living/kitchen room.Could most certainly have been a pub.Cast your mind back Bri,Mrs Beavers door on Moss St had 3 steps, her back door leading into the yard had about 5.Also there was a brick built outhouse just at the bottom of those steps that was her coal house.Sure her son had the motor bike shop at Page Hall think they called him Bill.Hope your well.x

In one of our bedrooms there was a partion wall but at the top it was square windows,also had a curved wall in the living/kitchen room.Could most certainly have been a pub.Cast your mind back Bri,Mrs Beavers door on Moss St had 3 steps, her back door leading into the yard had about 5.Also there was a brick built outhouse just at the bottom of those steps that was her coal house.Sure her son had the motor bike shop at Page Hall think they called him Bill.Hope your well.x

------------------

Hi Sheila, Barry was right about you only having one back door,

he had a back door on his house. Yes i do remember Mrs Beavers outhouse.

Barry seems to think you had two upstairs back windows, but i said he

must be thinking of your neighbours Bradbury's.

------------------

Hi Sheila, Barry was right about you only having one back door,

he had a back door on his house. Yes i do remember Mrs Beavers outhouse.

Barry seems to think you had two upstairs back windows, but i said he

must be thinking of your neighbours Bradbury's.

We had 2 bedroom windows that faced hunsley st,nothing on the back.Only a front door no back.your right Bri.Mrs Moore was next to us then MrHawkins,Mrs Millet,Barbara and Ray ? then Bradbury's.All had bedroom windows in the yard.x

Yes skippy. The trams actually terminated at Canada Street and the turn around was at Carwood Road (one street away) they then went to Nether Edge. This stopped in the 1920's so perhaps a clue there.
Yes, the Petre Street route was taken over by buses on 19 April 1925.

Hi Brian, I didn't live on Moss Street, Sandra my wife lived there, I asked her about Pauline Goodwin, she doesn't know the name, but she will ask her sister Susan when she sees her.

George.

-----------------

Hi George, Enlcose picture of Gardeners Rest Neepsend, did you know

it was closing. the locals are raising cash to buy the pub.

Have sent you the pic in the pass. Brian

-----------------

Hi George, Enlcose picture of Gardeners Rest Neepsend, did you know

it was closing. the locals are raising cash to buy the pub.

Have sent you the pic in the pass. Brian

'Locals' Brian, in Neepsend, does anyone still live there ?

Skippy when did you have that photo taken with joe cocker I herd on the radio today hope you and dors or ok take care

'Locals' Brian, in Neepsend, does anyone still live there ?

----------------------

I'am not sure Stpetre there are a few firms around Neepsend and

not many houses, Could be the people come by bus and taxis.

I remember when i was a member of Grimesthorpe Working mens club,

i moved to Southey Green in 1970s i use to visit the club at w/ends and

many more that moved away they still visited by car-bus taxis or by

foot. Still miss the old club and the people. :)

Skippy when did you have that photo taken with joe cocker I herd on the radio today hope you and dors or ok take care

I don't know which photo you are referring to hehe, I haven't posted any photo's on here for ages, mainly because I can't remember how photobucket works anymore.

We've had several photo's taken over the years, as we were best friends from 1947 until his death.

Hiya skippy it's a photo taken when he was on tour and he was on in Sidney you have your arm around is shoulder you showed it me about 3or4 years ago I think dors is on it hope your ok is the back any better both take care