Local dialect of sheffield

i think drags means to inhale on a cigarette (as in give us a

drag) and bobbar means to go to the toilet and have a number 2!,

When we were kids we'd get a 'scutch at the back of the neck' if we were naughty.

I wonder if that phrase was only used in this area?

Happy Days!

And a "clipped lugoile", I wonder what to clip means, we all know the result as we've probably all had one but, as you say PopT, scutched must be Sheffieldeze!

What about "brob". Such as, "If tha dunt geeoer all brob thee int eye"

Duffems

I have live in sheffield all my life. I think it depends on where you grew in sheffield as to how you talk. My dad speaks what I call proper Sheffield talk. I have friends who ask me sometimes what I mean when I turn on the Sheffield talk, I love it and I'm proud of it. Me and my husband were reading the thread and thinking of our fav sayings,

mine - "wots tha want for thee tee"

"owt" wor is dey"

"S**t wi sugar on"

his - gee or, ya mardy arse git

Regarding posts #410 and 413 on this thread, here is an "oatcake report" after returning, oatcake-laden, from Hillsborough:

Funk's - packs of 4 oatcakes, 50p

Parkin's Pantry (in the Hillsborough Shopping Centre, alias the "arcade") - packs of 4 oatcakes, 40p.

Oatcakes are also evidently sold at Bilton's

They are delicious - enjoy!

Twas 1983, Tinsley, visiting my nan........

"Na then lad, ah thy alreight?"

"ah lass, ah tha?"

"Well tha knows lad? Weers thee fatha isee goin t'asda toneet?"

"ah afinkso"

"will thy askim to gerrus sum meyt fot dog? arr caffrin wer supoas t be fetchin us sum rawnd burriant seener, mind thee she might beerawnd int mornin, thats if that creypin jeysus ul'gerrawntnis pit, the bleeder! does tha no, ad belt imrawnd bloody earoil iffee wer mine!"...

..."as thy ad thee supper lad or does tha wanna go'ovver chip oil and gethee sen summat? OOoo owdon, adduntno wether its oppen, tharrad berrer go,ovver n find awt, afink towd lad might be on olladi!"....

...."nayow lass is norroppen"

"arrees gon ovver t'skeggy fo't week. Tharralafta go dawn dundas rooad, thatten elbe oppen"

"ay alreight lass, does tha want owt?"

"no am alreight lad, mind thee thallafta go long way rawnd cos parkie il avlocked rec bi nah!".............

My, it's a long time since I heard that one, brilliant, my grandmother used to say it but, I never knew the full verse so, thanks for that.

Duffem

My nana taught us a slightly different version, perhaps between us all we could find the whole rhyme.

Ar Sals gorra new bonnet

wi red roses reet rarnd brim

an a feather reet up back

Ar Sal went to chirch in it

parsen sez Sal, Sal

this is a place a warship norra flar shor

Sal sez bald ed nowt in it nowt on it

duz tha wanna a feather from ma bonnet to puronit.

She also taught us 'Little Jim' I did find that on poeticportal.net

My dad's favourite examples of Sheffield dialect were:

"Are ter gooin' ooam toneet, or are tha stoppin' ere?" ...and the old one:

"Darn t'Wicker weer t'watter runs o'er t'weer"

As for words grouped together: "supwidee?" and "gerritetten" are my own favourites.

My dad's favourite examples of Sheffield dialect were:

"Are ter gooin' ooam toneet, or are tha stoppin' ere?" ...and the old one:

"Darn t'Wicker weer t'watter runs o'er t'weer"

As for words grouped together: "supwidee?" and "gerritetten" are my own favourites.

O tha from uther side o hills lad, "Darn t'Wicker weer t'watter runs o'er t'weer" is Lancashire talk. Get rid o t an thall hav gorrit reight, like this: "Darn Wicker weer watter runs o'er weer". :P

When we were kids we'd get a 'scutch at the back of the neck' if we were naughty.

I wonder if that phrase was only used in this area?

Scutching is still used in brickwork - it is a glancing blow using a "scutching hammer" - a hammer with a hardened steel comb, which grooves the face of brickwork prior to applying rendering and giving a better "key" to the surface. The word is originally French from Latin roots I believe and originally referred to separating linen fibres by hammering and combing out the woody parts. Later used by bricklayers. Its use in Sheffield perhaps derives from brickies in the steelworks, lining furnaces and crucibles with brickwork and then scutching the surface to apply an inner lining of fireclay or ganister.

On The Cross we would get a "Thrapp" on the back of the neck, and by some strange form of rhyming slang it evolved into a "Thrapp on the Wilson" (Wilson-Peck = Neck)

O tha from uther side o hills lad, "Darn t'Wicker weer t'watter runs o'er t'weer" is Lancashire talk. Get rid o t an thall hav gorrit reight, like this: "Darn Wicker weer watter runs o'er weer". :P

Well, I dunno. I've only lived in Lincolnshire for a year, and it seems that I've already lost touch wi' me roots. I'll have to down a few pints in the Old Blue Ball and take a few lessons.....;)