Local dialect of sheffield

The word "scrawming"

Has just been added to the urban dictionary...

DUB,Y DUB,Y DUB,Y .urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scrawming

Result...

My mother sometimes comes out with some odd sayings.

If i was to ask her to do something for me,she would reply "al peg thee a rug"

Or if i was telling her something she would say,"What did the band play"

Or if i asked her the time she would say,"it's quart to cheese with the village pump.

Is she bonkers?or are these old sayings?

The two from my nan that always stuck with me are, "I'm not as green as i'm cabbage looking" and "I'm as old as my tounge and a little bit older than my teeth."

My mother sometimes comes out with some odd sayings.

If i was to ask her to do something for me,she would reply "al peg thee a rug"

Or if i was telling her something she would say,"What did the band play"

Or if i asked her the time she would say,"it's quart to cheese with the village pump.

Is she bonkers?or are these old sayings?

I think she's being dismissive of all your questions, requests, or anecdotes, but whatever, they're funny replies. To me it's good Yorkshire humor.

"Siling dahn" (no idea where that comes from)

As Plain Talker suggested, according to the O.E.D. it comes from an old Norse word sila meaning to strain or pour. But my grandad always said "chuckin' it dahn".

Another of his favourites was "supwidee"? If he saw some unappetising meat etc. he would call it "cagmag".

See all, hear all, say nowt - A Yorkshireman's advice to his son: "Eat all, drink all, pay nowt, and if ever tha does owt for nowt alus do it for thisen!! (Sound advice!)

Ayup, Na then sithee ah tha gettin on. (Hello how are you!)

Baht time we had a mashin cos it's snaptime' (Always confuses the Southerners! - Time for tea as it's lunchtime)

Only some

1 Causeway edge (pavement edge)

5 Very tall 6 feet and a gas lamp (old form of street lamp)

8 Heeley phrase this one, round the block you would say these days, originating from the weird layout of streets in between Artisan View and Well road

9 Mardy, presumably from the tyrant Known as the Mahdi, well known for sulking and cutting peoples heads off.

10 Norfolk steet used to be the longest road in Sheffield going from Pond street to the bottom of the Moor

Richard, Thanks for this. I never knew why I called a walk 'once round the lump'. MY dad was born in well road and then moved to artisan view when he was 5. I suppose it came down from him.

Never heard “He'll stand fo drop o York” before.

But we used to say, “Gee it some wellie”

THe Drop at York was the hanging place for serious county crims and we used to use it in another way "If thatys true I'll stand the drop at York" meaning whatever was being said was crap. I used this and 'putther' for smoke and 'nithered to deeath' for cold. I love this. Dont let the old slang and 'theeing and thouing' get lost. !

and can anyone help with the two sheffield phrases' neche' and 'yitten' as a kid anyone who felt the cold was neche but at a Sheffield football match (even today) if someone pulls out of a tackle they will be accused of neching it.and anyone who was frightened was yitten.

and can anyone help with the two sheffield phrases' neche' and 'yitten' as a kid anyone who felt the cold was neche but at a Sheffield football match (even today) if someone pulls out of a tackle they will be accused of neching it.and anyone who was frightened was yitten.

I have also wondered about "neche/nesh" and "yitten/yittney". They are certainly local - nobody in foreign parts (i.e. Doncaster, Chesterfield or beyond) has heard of the word "neche", and while "yitten" seems a bit more widespread, here in North Lincs. it provokes a blank look. But they speak a funny language here - anything from "cross-oppled" to "proggle", "smockraffled", "kelter" and "unepp'n".

The other day an old pal said his leg was giving him some 'jip' meaning the pain in his leg was troubling him.

Where did the word Jip originate?

It was commonly used years ago in Sheffield.

Happy Days! PopT

Gip (Gyp Jip) give ( a person). To thrash, punish, manhandle, give a bad time.

Happy days PoppyT.

As Plain Talker suggested, according to the O.E.D. it comes from an old Norse word sila meaning to strain or pour. But my grandad always said "chuckin' it dahn".

Another of his favourites was "supwidee"? If he saw some unappetising meat etc. he would call it "cagmag".

My ex would call something that was rank, or cheap/ poor quality "cag". We met up for lunch the other day and the meal was vile. We agreed the food was "cag" and that we'd not be going there again.