Coronavirus - Part Two.

6 minutes ago, sibon said:

It is a good post.

I’d take issue with the long term doom though. I think we’ll have this firmly behind us this time next year. Summer might be odd, but vaccination and improved treatment should see us right.

My bold 

I hope you are right but I worry you are wrong. I feel this whole play is going to run and run. After all there's money to be made. 

Guest makapaka
9 minutes ago, sibon said:

It is a good post.

I’d take issue with the long term doom though. I think we’ll have this firmly behind us this time next year. Summer might be odd, but vaccination and improved treatment should see us right.

Id like to agree - but the obsession with the disease and associated deaths will prevent us seeing it right.

whilst there’s ever cases and “variants” could you ever see Glastonbury happening again for example - or a winter shopping market.

won’t happen. 

I’d imagine a long period of restrictions which eventually people won’t see as restrictions- just a complete change to life as we knew it.

massively sad and was easily avoidable really .

There was a Nascar event last week with 150,000!there.

Some if the upcoming Euro champion ship games are having full stadiums.

Quite a few outdoor concerts gave already been announced in UK late Aug and September.

I fully expect restrictions in numbers at cinema to be withdrawn in the 21June .

Guest sibon
13 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Id like to agree - but the obsession with the disease and associated deaths will prevent us seeing it right.

whilst there’s ever cases and “variants” could you ever see Glastonbury happening again for example - or a winter shopping market.

won’t happen. 

I’d imagine a long period of restrictions which eventually people won’t see as restrictions- just a complete change to life as we knew it.

massively sad and was easily avoidable really .

I’ve bought tickets for a variety of things in November and December. I can’t see restrictions still being needed then.

If we get 90-95% of people vaccinated then infection rates will be low enough and hospitalisations will be rare enough for us to be normal again.

In any case, I don’t see the public putting up with restrictions for much longer. 

It would be easier and quicker if the anti vaxxers just buggered off though. They are the ones that might yet stymie us.

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, sibon said:

I’ve bought tickets for a variety of things in November and December. I can’t see restrictions still being needed then.

If we get 90-95% of people vaccinated then infection rates will be low enough and hospitalisations will be rare enough for us to be normal again.

In any case, I don’t see the public putting up with restrictions for much longer. 

It would be easier and quicker if the anti vaxxers just buggered off though. They are the ones that might yet stymie us.

I’d get your ticket money back.

There's dozens of huge festivals with tickets on sale now in the UK if you care to look

You decry the obsession with the virus ,yet you are the gloomiest person in the thread.

Currently the news is good and improving leaps and bounds each week.

Where is you perspective

7 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I'd agree with this 👆

My daughter is hard at work training for a fight show in August. Her heart isn't in it this time. Even she feels the whole event won't go ahead. 

Guest sibon
12 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I’ll be booking some more

16 minutes ago, sibon said:

We were told initially that as soon as we had a vaccine to protect the most vulnerable (the over 80's, and the clinically vulnerable), then we'd be able to come out of lockdown.  Didn't happen.  Now they just want to vaccinate everybody and are looking into forcing us to carry ID cards (Covid Passports linked to our medical records) to get into places.

We were never initially going to get the 90-95% of people vaccinated, as all surveys showed that nowhere near 90% were in favour of vaccination.  With the PR machine turned up full, perhaps we're near that now, but we're still no nearer to getting back to normal. 

Will people put up with it for much longer?  Recent election results showing strong support for Boris and his cronies would indicate that they will!

And, as  The_DADDY says, "there's money to be made" in continuing with restrictions.

Edited by Thirsty Relic
picked up 2 quotes not 1

Guest sibon
Just now, Thirsty Relic said:

We were told initially that as soon as we had a vaccine to protect the most vulnerable (the over 80's, and the clinically vulnerable), then we'd be able to come out of lockdown.  Didn't happen.  Now they just want to vaccinate everybody and are looking into forcing us to carry ID cards (Covid Passports linked to our medical records) to get into places.

We were never initially going to get the 90-95% of people vaccinated, as all surveys showed that nowhere near 90% were in favour of vaccination.  With the PR machine turned up full, perhaps we're near that now, but we're still no nearer to getting back to normal. 

Will people put up with it for much longer?  Recent election results showing strong support for Boris and his cronies would indicate that they will!

And, as  The_DADDY says, "there's money to be made" in continuing with restrictions.

There’s no money to be made by continuing restrictions.

There are no ID cards. No vaccine passports. The pubs and restaurants are open. You can travel if you want to.

So, congratulations on one of the most inaccurate posts ever to feature on Sheffield forum. That’s quite an achievement.

I think a lot of things are uncertain at this point. Vaccinations (and boosters) could reduce covid to sporadic outbreaks. Alternatively, covid may take a proportion of the vulnerable every year as flu does. When the pandemic is over covid might look like another variant of the common cold or less likely a new variant may put us all through the wringer again.

I suspect masking for people with cold or flu symptoms are going to catch on here in way they exist in Japan.

I am guessing we have a lengthy recession to look forward. Hospitality as an industry will probably be screwed for a goodly while and city centre flats are probably going to be worth a lot less.

11 minutes ago, sibon said:

There’s no money to be made by continuing restrictions.

There are no ID cards. No vaccine passports. The pubs and restaurants are open. You can travel if you want to.

So, congratulations on one of the most inaccurate posts ever to feature on Sheffield forum. That’s quite an achievement.

I said they are "looking into" Covid Passports.  Trials are ongoing with many companies positioning themselves for such documents - trials sponsored by the Government.  Companies would not be interested if there was no money to be made.

Pubs and restaurants are open, but many insist on Track and Trace information before you enter, so they are not back to normal. 

Travel is not back to normal either - look at the Portugal situation.

As for you booking events - organisations will sell tickets for events that may or not take place after June 21st - it's up to the punters to decide whether to buy them.  I just hope those who do can get their money back if they don't.

Edited by Thirsty Relic