Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Just now, West 77 said:

Our nation imports far more goods than we export globally. Do you seriously believe there will be a shortage of countries wanting to sign trade deals with us?

Yes, there will. If we are so very untrustworthy.

9 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Our nation imports far more goods than we export globally. Do you seriously believe there will be a shortage of countries wanting to sign trade deals with us?

They'll flog us stuff without a doubt - and with tariffs the cost to the UK consumer will increase. But the chances of them buying anything from us appear to be diminishing by the day.

Just now, West 77 said:

I'm happy the EU are rattled. It's good to see the EU officials running scared to London. It's good that we have a leader who is putting UK law above international law.

Somehow "running scared" doesn't enter into it. Trying to inject a sense of reality into HMG is  much nearer the truth.

6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm happy the EU are rattled. It's good to see the EU officials running scared to London. It's good that we have a leader who is putting UK law above international law.

You might change your mind when the repercussions become apparent.

25 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You might change your mind when the repercussions become apparent.

You really think that?

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

You really think that?

I think that a lot of the gung ho Brexiters are going to be disappointed with the eventual outcomes.

Whether that changes minds or not is another matter.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

You really think that?

Nope - "foreigners" will get the blame for not being grateful and giving mighty Britannia everything it asked for in return for nowt.

9 hours ago, West 77 said:

Barnier's message yesterday, closing the week's session of negotiations, was crystal clear: the EU27 isn't walking away from the negotiations, so if you want no deal, have at it, but you get to own your ****. 

The only rattled entity I saw recently, was Johnson at PMQs, very clearly desperate to engage Starmer about Brexit to try and PR-scapegoat Labour, since the EU27 wasn't biting this week's trolling hook.

And obviously, Starmer has read through perspex-transparent Johnson just as well as the EU27 and Barnier, because he wasn't giving Johnson any Brexit opening whatsoever.

All this week's shenanigans about breaking international law? It just translates how tight Johnson and the ERG have boxed themselves in by now, between the impossible promises of the past 4 years and the oncoming, unavoidable deadline of year end; and how desperate they are all getting inside that matchbox.

The EU27 is well ready for no deal by now. And still holds all the cards of REACH, Euratom, EASA, <etc> which the UK simply cannot do without, to function.

Is the UK?

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I would have been happy for us to leave without a deal when Theresa May was Prime Minister. I've no worries about our nation trading on WTO terms after 31st December. Anyone who voted to leave the EU should have known there was a chance our nation would trade on WTO terms. However, I still believe a trade deal will be agreed between the UK and EU to avoid WTO being implemented.

Funny, I don't recall any poster ever mentioning 'trading on WTO terms' in the main referendum thread of the time ("EU Referendum: How will you vote?" as I recall...and 4+ years on, it makes for uncomfortable reading for Leave voters).

Still, good of you to maintain the mantra that Leave voters obviously knew everything that they were voting for at the time, because that means no innocent Leavers when the reckoning eventually starts.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I would have been happy for us to leave without a deal when Theresa May was Prime Minister. I've no worries about our nation trading on WTO terms after 31st December. Anyone who voted to leave the EU should have known there was a chance our nation would trade on WTO terms. However, I still believe a trade deal will be agreed between the UK and EU to avoid WTO being implemented.

Boris Johnson said there was no chance there wouldn't be a deal. Gove said the same.

Were they lying?

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Funny, I don't recall any poster ever mentioning 'trading on WTO terms' in the main referendum thread of the time ("EU Referendum: How will you vote?" as I recall...and 4+ years on, it makes for uncomfortable reading for Leave voters).

Still, good of you to maintain the mantra that Leave voters obviously knew everything that they were voting for at the time, because that means no innocent Leavers when the reckoning eventually starts.

Nor can anyone else.

Political dogma is ruling the actions of this government at the cost of billions to the economy and apparently some have been convinced that WTO terms is a price worth paying to allow Johnson to pacify the ERG supporters.

Short term gain for Johnson followed by long term pain for the economy.

52 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I wasn't a poster  here then. If I had been a poster I would have said I would be happy with WTO terms  in return for freedom from  the EU.

You're obsessed with accusing Boris of lying.  If Boris genuinely believed there was no chance there wouldn't be a deal then he is not lying.

Wait, you said you knew, absolutely knew that we could leave without a deal in 2016. Are you saying Boris didn't?