Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

On 28/10/2023 at 19:13, m williamson said:

As You can see above you did not mention Luxemburg. You said that he lived in the wealthiest country in the world in response to my post # 7078, where I pointed out that the wealthiest country in the world has an immigrant population of 97.1% .  I was referring somewhat tongue in cheek to America.   Luxemburg has an immigrant population of 43.5% 

Using the GNP per capita method which is the method which places Luxemburg above most countries including the USA I simply pointed out that in fact Ireland is currently number one by that method and he doesn't live there.  Understand?

Closer to 48% (LUSTAT Data Explorer • Total population, Luxembourgers and foreigners, of usual residence in Luxembourg by sex (statec.lu))

AFAIK Lewis Hamilton still lives in Monaco, much much tax-friendlier to the wealthy, than Luxembourg which is not that much friendlier than others (Luxembourg Tax Rates & Rankings | Luxembourg Taxes (taxfoundation.org))

Spent some time in the UK a couple weeks ago, visiting my offices in Surrey and Greater Manchester, then friends and family in South Yorks. So one of those visitor/business visas could have been mine, though it certainly wasn't printed (or, if it was, then I never received any copy).  Not the best time of year for that trip, unfortunately.

Hugs and Kisses to all 😉

• Like 1

A new report reveals the huge and lasting economic costs of Brexit:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/a-new-report-reveals-the-huge-and-lasting-economic-costs-of-brexit/

Ever wondered why your taxes are so high and public services are in such a poor state? Now you know

Brexit had already cost the UK 1% of GDP before it even left the EU. In the three years after the transition period, the cost has increased to 2-3%. That is only the beginning. These costs and problems do not go away, they are not one offs. NIESR calculates that by 2035 the cost will rise to 5-6% of GDP.

For comparison: That's three times the entire UK defence budget!

I for one, would like to congratulate the Brexiteers on successfully taking back control of our borders.  Fine work.

Net migration into the UK was a record 745,000 last year, figures show - far higher than originally thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67506641

Edited by geared

9 minutes ago, geared said:

I for one, would like to congratulate the Brexiteers on successfully taking back control of our borders.  Fine work.

And Sunak says he'll "stop the boats".    He can't  "stop the boats"  and most of the immigrants don't come on the boats anyway.  They're just a distraction to hide the real numbers.

Our two anti-immigration  forum posters should know how badly the liars they voted for have let them down.

The other one,  "hatchet man"  will swear that they're doing a fantastic job anyway and will soon have it under control.   It'll probably be the pandemic, Ukraine and sacking Boris to blame.

27 minutes ago, geared said:

The too high net immigration figure has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with current government allowing too many legal migrants to move to our country.  The numbers are unsustainable and action is required now to reduce the numbers to less than one hundred thousand for anyone year. We need to have years where there is net emigration to counteract the years when immigration has been out of control.  There needs to be a cap placed on the numbers and once the cap is reached nobody else should be given permission to  move here from abroad.  A cap also needs to be placed on the number claiming asylum each year and once that number is reached everyone else should be refused asylum automatically by default.

Edited by Axe

14 minutes ago, Axe said:

The too high net immigration figure has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with current government allowing too many legal migrants to move to our country.  The numbers are unsustainable and action is required now to reduce the numbers to less than one hundred thousand for anyone year. We need to have years where there is net emigration to counteract the years when immigration has been out of control.  There needs to be a cap placed on the numbers and once the cap is reached nobody else should be given permission to  move here from abroad.  A cap also needs to be placed on the number claiming asylum each year and once that number is reached everyone else should be refused asylum automatically by default.

But hang on - we've got an "Australian style points system". 

I thought that was the answer.

20 minutes ago, Mister M said:

But hang on - we've got an "Australian style points system". 

I thought that was the answer.

They can still have a points system but once the cap is reached then not accept anymore applicants regardless of the amount of points the applicant has.  A monthly cap is the answer.

55 minutes ago, Axe said:

The too high net immigration figure has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with current government allowing too many legal migrants to move to our country.  

Wasn't immigration a big issue during Brexit??  Pretty sure it was.

Haven't the Tories been in Government the entire time before, during and after Brexit?  Pretty sure they have

Didn't they promise to get net migration under 100k?  Pretty sure they did that too.

The vast majority have been arriving from countries outside of the EU, so all we've gone and done is swap an influx of Europeans to an influx of everyone else.

18 minutes ago, Axe said:

They can still have a points system but once the cap is reached then not accept anymore applicants regardless of the amount of points the applicant has.  A monthly cap is the answer.

They have already ruled a cap out.

Incidentally, what do you think about the suggestion today by Tory grandee, and Conservative thinker Lee Anderson to send asylum seekers to the Orkney Islands to have their claims assessed?

Send asylum seekers to remote Scottish islands, says Tory deputy chair Lee Anderson | The Independent

2 minutes ago, geared said:

Haven't the Tories been in Government the entire time before, during and after Brexit?  Pretty sure they have

Didn't they promise to get net migration under 100k?  Pretty sure they did that too.

The vast majority have been arriving from countries outside of the EU, so all we've gone and done is swap an influx of Europeans to an influx of everyone else.

That's right! 

"We want to take back control of our borders".

1 minute ago, geared said:

I am not defending the Tories regarding the high out of control net  immigration figures and have clearly blamed the current government.  Brexit gave the government the tool to control immigration because it ended freedom of movement.  To maximise the benefits of Brexit the government have to have correct policies.  Clearly the current Tory government have not got the correct policy regarding immigration.   Do you believe a Labour government would reduce net immigration to below 100k?

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

They have already ruled a cap out.

Incidentally, what do you think about the suggestion today by Tory grandee, and Conservative thinker Lee Anderson to send asylum seekers to the Orkney Islands to have their claims assessed?

Send asylum seekers to remote Scottish islands, says Tory deputy chair Lee Anderson | The Independent

That's right! 

The Orkney Islands are a safe place because it is part of the UK so there would not be a issue like the Supreme Court ruled regarding Rwanda. 

Have alot of Tory supporters suddenly got shares in airlines or something?

Can one of them come up with a solution that doesn't involve flying these people around so much?

2 hours ago, geared said:

The Governments attitude seems to be that they shouldnt have let so many in, they are accepting their own incompetence, I personally think they are fully in control.