Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 hours ago, Magilla said:

New Brexit border checks to cost business £330mn a year:

https://www.ft.com/content/015e1f25-0725-49f1-9a7d-bf9ec0dc4678

More food price rises on the way.

According to those who on here are happy about Brexit,   That will be another one of the many benefits of leaving Europe.

We now have the freedom to pay more for everything and slowly go bust.

Somehow,  things just don't seem to be going the way we were promised.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

According to those who on here are happy about Brexit,   That will be another one of the many benefits of leaving Europe.

We now have the freedom to pay more for everything and slowly go bust.

Somehow,  things just don't seem to be going the way we were promised.

We will just have to start growing our own veg and get exercise by digging.

Always look on the bright side !!!!!!!!!

Edited by harvey19

37 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

We will just have to start growing our own veg and get exercise by digging.

Always look on the bright side !!!!!!!!!

"Dig for Victory"  well remembered from WW2.

My Dad had an allotment garden and so did the majority of the other blokes who lived around us.

My Dad caught the odd rabbit at his allotment and my Grandma  & Grandad kept hens so we also got eggs and the occasional chicken.

I remember as a little lad growing some potatoes in our front garden.

Seriously though.  I've always been a believer in self sufficiency and I think this country needs more of that attitude.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Magilla said:

New Brexit border checks to cost business £330mn a year:

https://www.ft.com/content/015e1f25-0725-49f1-9a7d-bf9ec0dc4678

More food price rises on the way.

The article states it is likely to increase food prices by 0.2% over three years and also companies will adapt to lessen the impact. Hardly anything to worry about.  £330 million is  only a small amount given the size of the UK economy and the amount of food the UK import.  Such things as bad weather and the French port authorities going on strike will have a significant bigger impact on the cost of food rising than the new post Brexit border checks.

You need to accept Brexit has happened and stop trawling the internet to find negativity. 

Edited by Axe

2 hours ago, Axe said:

Such things as bad weather and the French port authorities going on strike will have a significant bigger impact on the cost of food rising than the new post Brexit border checks.

You need to accept Brexit has happened and stop trawling the internet to find negativity. 

We knew there would be some other excuses thrown in by blunt Axe.

We accept that Brexit has happened but the negativity comes from the shops tills,   and not the internet.

Any price rises big or small,  are going to be added onto the food inflation which the people of this country are already suffering so even a small one wouldn't be small. 

How's silly Sunak going on with his 5 pledges  ( that he wishes he never made )

On 01/10/2023 at 14:39, Chekhov said:

I speak as a Remainer, but, to me, if leaving the EU had meant we'd have done a Sweden during the pandemic I would have voted Leave.

However, ironically, we are out of the EU. yet followed the crowd (with suppressing society during Covid), whereas Sweden, an EU member, did not.

It seems being in the EU still gives a country plenty of sovereignty over what really matters.....

You do realise of course that, by the very example that you quote, clearly EU membership had no bearing on a country’s sovereign choices about its Covid-mitigating policies?

Literally every single justification for Brexit put forward by Leavers since actual Brexit, follows the exact same logic: EU membership never prevented the UK from enacting or pursuing its chest-thumping policy choices since 2021.

Pity you didn’t catch the irony of your post when you typed it.

Edit - on the topic of Poland and Hungary, mentioned lately.

https://www.dw.com/en/rule-of-law-eu-reprimands-poland-and-hungary/a-66165982

Small example, there are many more. You start playing against your own club on the field, you soon get benched and fined. Who’d have thought, <etc>

Of course, it’s your everyday Hungarians and Poles, not really the Orbans or PIS types of this world, who suffer most from those measures. But well, Hungarians, Poles, etc. keep electing those populist autocrats. So, well, usual f around-find out dynamic.

Like Brits, Tories and Brexit, really 😆

Edited by L00b

13 hours ago, L00b said:

>>Chekhov said: I speak as a Remainer, but, to me, if leaving the EU had meant we'd have done a Sweden during the pandemic I would have voted Leave.

However, ironically, we are out of the EU. yet followed the crowd (with suppressing society during Covid), whereas Sweden, an EU member, did not.

It seems being in the EU still gives a country plenty of sovereignty over what really matters.....<<

You do realise of course that, by the very example that you quote, clearly EU membership had no bearing on a country’s sovereign choices about its Covid-mitigating policies?

Literally every single justification for Brexit put forward by Leavers since actual Brexit, follows the exact same logic: EU membership never prevented the UK from enacting or pursuing its chest-thumping policy choices since 2021.

Pity you didn’t catch the irony of your post when you typed it.

It was me, in my post, pointing out the irony

Edited by Chekhov

On 02/10/2023 at 19:51, Organgrinder said:

We knew there would be some other excuses thrown in by blunt Axe.

We accept that Brexit has happened but the negativity comes from the shops tills,   and not the internet.

Any price rises big or small,  are going to be added onto the food inflation which the people of this country are already suffering so even a small one wouldn't be small. 

How's silly Sunak going on with his 5 pledges  ( that he wishes he never made )

Stop contributing more nonsense.  I analysed the article posted by the anti democratic poster and read it in full.  I am not making excuses by concluding the impact on food prices will be extremely small and other issues  non Brexit related  are the real  cause for rising food prices.

40 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Bad news for the all the net  EU contributors to the budget and those who will become net contributors who like Ireland scrounged off countries like the UK for many decades.  I believe the UK were the second largest contributor to the EU budget before we left.  The EU is already too large and adding more countries that will be net beneficiaries is madness.  Thank goodness  for the Leave voters who made it possible for the UK to leave that money pit.

1 minute ago, Axe said:

Stop contributing more nonsense.  I analysed the article posted by the anti democratic poster and read it in full.  I am not making excuses by concluding the impact on food prices will be extremely small and other issues  non Brexit related  are the real  cause for rising food prices.

Bad news for the all the net  EU contributors to the budget and those who will become net contributors who like Ireland scrounged off countries like the UK for many decades.  I believe the UK were the second largest contributor to the EU budget before we left.  The EU is already too large and adding more countries that will be net beneficiaries is madness.  Thank goodness  for the Leave voters who made it possible for the UK to leave that money pit.

I don't think the government wanted to leave the EU because it would involve a lot more work

And they need to address the impact it's had on farming and the fishing industry

Some of the revelations on 'Clarksons Farm' was absolutely shocking

19 minutes ago, Axe said:

Not making excuses because you can't think of an excuse.  Brexit is a failure and everyone knows it and says it openly.

Why talk about the EU budget when we are no longer members and it's nothing at all to do with us.  Sounds like you secretly want to be back in there too but won't admit it.