Anyone know where I can get locally produced honey?

Anyone know where I can get locally produced honey?

It's supposed to help with hayfever, and if I can do anything to get rid of it, I will.

The more local the better. If I could find some made in S6, that would be a winner! Surely there must be somewhere on the edge of the peaks that makes and sells it?

Summer may have warm weather and long hours of sunshine, but hayfever makes it rubbish. Plus I'm ginger, so I get sunburnt (though I don't think honey will help with that one).

Someone in my office told me the herblist on the Wicker sells one done locally though where produced i aint sure but worth a shot

out of interest, why does it have to be locally produced?

I've got some Yorkshire honey from the health food shop just opposite the entrance to the Winter Gardens, not sure if it is working yet but tastes yummy!

Doesn't say exactly where it is produced though.

Also, just found this place in Dronfield, I know it's not that close, but says they have locally produced honey.

The honey trail at Coal Aston - near Ward's garden centre - sells honey specifically for the purpose.

out of interest, why does it have to be locally produced?

The theory goes that if you take eat local honey, made by bees from local pollen, it helps your immune system cope with it better (a bit like a vaccination). The more local the honey, the more likely it is to be from the plants that are setting off your hayfever, growing near where you live.

It may well be an old wives tale, like a lot of 'alternative' therapies, but as this one also means i get to eat tasty things and support local producers, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'd be interested to hear if this has, or hasn't worked for anyone else that's tried it.

I've heard about this - if you eat honey that is locally produced it builds up your tolerance to the pollen in the area - must be the Bee-Pollen-Honey thing! I've also heard that eating oranges can really help with hayfever.

For local honey - maybe try Zed on the Edge in Nether Edge or there's a place on Ecclesall Road South near the top of Carterknowle Road that sells local farm produce. If you do find some would you post it on the forum as my husband and kids are really suffering with Hayfever at the moment so I could do with getting some honey for them. Be good way to support local honey producers too!

Best of luck,

Trulytru

try any womens institute market (there is one at the scout hut at the bottom of crookes on a saturday) as they only stock locally produced stuff...dont know if any have honey but there must be someone you can ring to ask!

I've been suffering terribly this year too and was willing to try anything.

I've been wondering about this 'local honey' business and thought I'd give it a shot.

Trouble is, the honey I've managed to pick up as being 'local' comes from eight miles away. So I do hope my bees enjoy travelling out of the area. Perhaps they're particularly cosmopolitan bees, or maybe even inter-continental?

Anyway, how far do bees actually travel?

I'm sure someone on here knows, or knows someone who's done a study on it or written a paper on it or something :hihi:

Don't phone, it's just for fun!

But please feel free to leave your answer here if you have one :)

Stagey x

The theory goes that if you take eat local honey, made by bees from local pollen, it helps your immune system cope with it better (a bit like a vaccination). The more local the honey, the more likely it is to be from the plants that are setting off your hayfever, growing near where you live.

It may well be an old wives tale, like a lot of 'alternative' therapies, but as this one also means i get to eat tasty things and support local producers, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'd be interested to hear if this has, or hasn't worked for anyone else that's tried it.

Never thought of that. suffer from it badly, might be on the look out for some S6 honey, doubt there is any though

I've been taking honey capsules from the honey trail for the past 3 months. It's too late for anyone to start taking them this year for them to have a positive effect on your hayfever, you need to take the capsules from March/April so you can get a resistance in your system.

When I first started using them I came out in hives (this isn't a joke, bees - hives etc.), but they went after about a month.

Until the last week I didn't have any signs of hayfever. I usually get it bad, I have asthma and dodgy skin too, so all 3 together in summer can be a nightmare. I have to say I hadn't noticed anything til the last week when the pollen levels have been really high (I also went on holiday for a week and forgot to take the capsules, so that can't have helped).

I'm still undecided about it all. Maybe I'll post an update towards the end of summer.

:thumbsup:

after doing a search online for localy made honey i came across this link for the forum so thought is reply on it again in the hope some1 may no now???? worth a shot.

i suffer so badly with it and 2 of my children are now showing sigsn with it.

totaly runing my summer as im stuck indoors for most of it. im dreding the 6 weeks holidays :(