Cycle Speedway

erm think you got it wrong old mate i just go to watch if it aint got an engine i dont ride it lol nice to hear from you tom let me know how you are . terry

tets it looks like its gunna rain so i mite make it the next match ok pal.

went sunday tony better meeting mate but you wouldnt have got a pint in fortyfoot it was shut . i heard its because of a cockup by the owners that they forgot to renew their licences on quite a few pubs and are closed for 2 weeks malthouse aswell used to be fighting **** ecclesfield anyone knows any more info would be gratefull to hear it .

went sunday tony better meeting mate but you wouldnt have got a pint in fortyfoot it was shut . i heard its because of a cockup by the owners that they forgot to renew their licences on quite a few pubs and are closed for 2 weeks malthouse aswell used to be fighting **** ecclesfield anyone knows any more info would be gratefull to hear it .
thank god i didnt come number 1 wouldnt have got a pint 2 10 mins before i set off was a family crisis 3 i took a turn for the worse but ok now terry. ithought it would be a better meeting from what i gathered was bushbaby there. did you look at the site which i told you about with some good racing vidios on. if we can find out when the next one is we should try to get together ok old pal:thumbsup:

Re: history of cycle speedway in Sheffield circa 1960+

Great piece of documentation Tommy. Being 5 years younger than you guys there was lots here that I wasn't aware of, especially relating to the origins of the movement. Thanks also for the Foto info. I'll get that recorded.

I do remember Ken Howe driving it all, and Pete was...well, Pete! A legend in his own..........

The oldie still riding was our John,(no surprise there then) who had a few veteran races last year but has now called it a day.

It was a special time in the 60s and I wouldn't have missed it for the world!!

Heard today that Pete Howe has died following renal failure. Really sad news. He was a legend on the Cross as well as for his cycle speedway ability.

Count Ballie in at the next meetin, Forty foot reopens on Thursday 28th July

nice ta see Terry in Railway last week, see you soon T C for a chinwag of old times, lot to talk about.

Baldie, you missed a cracker of a match in the Div 1 event,saw you leave( heard you first!!) while I was refin the combi.

Sorry about timings but Edinburgh had a few travel problems on the way down.

We ended up losing by 3 points in the end,but gave em a good run for their money with a much depleated -young side.

15 year old rockets captain, local lad 'Aiden Owen' fell in the first heat while challenging for the lead against Scotlands top rider,then fell while leading in another race.He did eventually get the better of both their big hitters in the final heat though.

Probably cost us the match but entertaining all the same.

Shows that s5-s6 can still produce great talent,a couple of other young kids had a great match-beating Scots top riders aswell.

How about some of you 'old uns' having a go at some point.

sure we can arrange something !!!:D

I'll keep you upto date on the next fixtures.

Heard today that Pete Howe has died following renal failure. Really sad news. He was a legend on the Cross as well as for his cycle speedway ability.
at this moment i carnt say too much as iam so dumbstuct by that news its turned me over but i will come back again with my memories of such a good friend. R.I.P Pete Howe from t.c.

Heard today that Pete Howe has died following renal failure. .

Bummer!! :( He was a genuine hero of mine! Please let us know if you get any funeral details

Parson Cross will the worse for his passing

Yo - I'm real sad to hear about Pete - got lots of memories about him. If anyone gets to know the funeral date I'll get down from Scotland to pay my respects. I’ve got some photos (cycle speedway and there’s a great one of Pete), which I’m going to publish on the site.

Nice to hear from you TC and TH (I was only joking about you both racing on bikes).

Bushbaby – the 60’s on the cross where the best time ever – we never locked our door – anyone remember going next door to borrow a drop of milk and then taking it back in the evening. I and my brother (Peter) still laugh about these times and the fun we had.

I’m writing a longer narrative about the “Cycle Speedway” years and I’ll let you have a copy.

Yo - I'm real sad to hear about Pete - got lots of memories about him. If anyone gets to know the funeral date I'll get down from Scotland to pay my respects. I’ve got some photos (cycle speedway and there’s a great one of Pete), which I’m going to publish on the site.

Nice to hear from you TC and TH (I was only joking about you both racing on bikes).

Bushbaby – the 60’s on the cross where the best time ever – we never locked our door – anyone remember going next door to borrow a drop of milk and then taking it back in the evening. I and my brother (Peter) still laugh about these times and the fun we had.

I’m writing a longer narrative about the “Cycle Speedway” years and I’ll let you have a copy.

I know you was joking and i think terry knows that but iam still reeling about petes death and i couldnt sleep last night. what a lad and a big part of the 60s on the cross. yes i remember milk, sugar and other things if you did that now they would not take kindley to it now. nice to hear from you as i got banned off the site for a while for sticking up for an old lady.

Yo - I'm real sad to hear about Pete - got lots of memories about him.

Please do that Tommy, and I'll get a copy of my book "Gee'or Ruwerin' - Growing up in 60s Parson Cross" http://www.acmretro.com/geeor.html to you

There's a chapter on Cycle Speedway, taken from a slightly bemused onlooker's point of view

Edited by Bushbaby