Cycle Speedway

During the late 1960s, there was a fairly extensive “Cycle Speedway” network in Sheffield, and I have been trying to unearth some of the details.

I have a few memories and would love anyone to give me clarification, or add to my stock.

The main span of participants was aged between 17 and 25. The guys rode mostly on self- built bikes, which had “Canadian Bends” handlebars, small cranks and cogs (32-18?) no gears or breaks, straight forks and gripster tyres.

A meeting was based on conventional speedway, with similar sized teams and the same scoring system (3-2-1-0) and the guy who got to the first bend first, was often the winner.

The teams I remember are the Parson Cross Eagles, Parson Cross Devils, Stradbroke Arrows and the Sheffield Tigers (bit pretentious I guess, but that was their name). There was many more but those brain cells aren’t what they were.

There were also teams from outside Sheffield who visited for tournaments. I can distinctly recall a team from Hull coming to Parson Cross, for the “Yorkshire Championships” (although I admit I might have got that wrong)

I have looked through a few Sheffield books to see if any further details are recorded, but can find none. Can anyone enlighten me?

Being a bike fanatic, this intrigues me! Never knew it was particularly big in Sheffield.

Any memories of where the tracks were?

The only track in The Parson Cross area as I know was on Helliwell Crescent, just past the junction of Avisford Road. I used to go down sometimes and watch them race, (or if I was honest, watch them fall off) it has long been deserted now, but you can still see where the track was.

Would the small oval track at the bottom of Wadsley Common (just up behind the Rose & Crown) be for this use?

Its about a 5th of the size of a motorcycle speedway track, and it has banks all the way round - for spectators to sit on maybe?

I've been wanting to know about that track since I was about 5!

if i remember right,there was a track up at parkwood springs.I had a go once,fell off and finished last.Good fun though

I had a Cycle Speedway bike! A relative built it for me - he raced all the time and I think was Sheffield champion at some point.

The bike was heavily built (in comparison to say - a 'racer') with the Canadian (cowhorn?) bars. In fact - it was pretty much a mountain bike without gears or suspension (before I'd ever heard of a mountain bike). I loved it - it was really fast but was a pain getting uphill 'cos of the tiny cog on the back.

This must have been back in the 80s....

Cycle Speedway in Sheffield is still going strong all be it with just the one team now. The Sheffield Stars are based at the Greaves Tennis & Leisure Centre @ Bochum Parkway, Norton, Sheffield.They race in the Northern Alliance league Div 1 along with teams from Manchester, Hull & Heckmondwike. Our practice nights are Mondays at 8.00pm and all are welcome, our youngest member is 7 and our oldest 50+. We have bikes for people to come and try it so why not give it ago? If you want to know more e mail me at [email protected]

Originally posted by Bushbaby

During the late 1960s, there was a fairly extensive “Cycle Speedway” network in Sheffield, and I have been trying to unearth some of the details.

I used to go with a guy from School around 1968 Gaz Fordham his big brother raced for the Tigers I think , Gaz rode with the Stradbrook Arrows. The track was on the site of the old Birley Pit, It was an unoficial site and we were turfed off eventually. I remember building a bike with Canadian Handlebars (not Cowhorns). The wheels and Tyres were 26" X 1 3/4" gripsters, some guys used to use a fixed wheel which could be a bit dodgy on the turns. We had a proper starting gate with elastic which would fly up to start the race.

I seem to remember a track somewhere at the Richmond Rd. end of Richmond Park... in a small wooded area maybe?.... Mists of time and all that....

Graham

I used to go with a guy from School around 1968 Gaz Fordham his big brother raced for the Tigers I think , Gaz rode with the Stradbrook Arrows.

During that first phase, Gaz was the star. Best rider in Sheffield. I guess that he set the standard and most of the others caught him up over the next two years. Whenever the Arrows came to The Cross, Gaz's scalp was the target of the day

The team up at Parkwood were the Parkwood Aces. The track was right up at the top of Douglas Road on the spare ground. My brother rode for them for some time, they took it quite serious. I remember them going to meetings all over northern England. The track obviously got covered over when the ski centre was built.

Cycle speedway in Sheffield has gone from strength to strength over the past few years. 2 tracks are in regular use these days,the one on Helliwell crescent and the one at Norton-graves tennis centre.The Sheffield stars are currently one of the best teams in the country and currently boast a host of international riders,in fact the previous World champion raced for Sheffield last year and could be seen regulary training 4-5 times a night at the track on Helliwell cres.The Sheffield club are also the biggest club in the country and currently boats over 100 members.

Mondays 7.30 at the Graves

Thursdays 6.00-800 at Helliwell cres

Saturdays ( if not racing) 11-1 Helliwell cres

All are welcome-bikes and protective clothing provided free of charge