living in poverty

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Post #227.

I don't define it, it's still using the common UK definition of <60% of median income.

We really haven't.

Elderly people die in the winter because this is insufficient to heat their homes, put food on the table, buy any new clothes and pay for necessities.

It's not the kind of poverty you might suffer in the 3rd world, but we aren't in the 3rd world.

Isn't such definition completely useless? Even if we'd doubled everyone's income, the number of people living in poverty wouldn't change at all. 🙄

3 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

It isn't great, I've said as much  But I could live on it. Remember housing benefit is paid. It isn't poverty.

So, on top of housing what figure do you think they should get? Is £100 more suitable?

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

It's not supposed to be great.

It's a temporary emergency measure to fill in while someone is between jobs.

It fills a gap not funds a lifestyle and it's still nowhere near what should rightly be deemed "poverty".

Why are so many food banks proliferating? Real cases of hardship and penury have been well documented. 

53 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Why are so many food banks proliferating? Real cases of hardship and penury have been well documented. 

What's your answer? Put benefits up for everybody? To what amount specifically? So the single person on £73, plus housing benefit should be on £xxx , what is the figure you have in mind?

Or do something a bit more pragmatic? Or target it at actual hardship cases. Stop the gaps in income from work-benefits etc.

53 minutes ago, Mister M said:

When the cheese and butter mountains were available - thousands of people queued for them (including me) not everyone was in poverty but everyone fitted the criteria to receive the free butter and cheese.

Thats why food banks are proliferating .

5 minutes ago, willman said:

When the cheese and butter mountains were available - thousands of people queued for them (including me) not everyone was in poverty but everyone fitted the criteria to receive the free butter and cheese.

Thats why food banks are proliferating .

People have to be referred by their GP or Social Services; AFAIK people can't just turn up and help themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/25/food-bank-network-hands-out-record-16m-food-parcels-in-a-year

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/food-bank-uk-benefits-trussell-trust-cost-of-living-highest-rate-a8317001.html

Edited by Mister M

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

People have to be referred by their GP or Social Services; AFAIK people can't just turn up and help themselves.

Or the job centre (which wasn't the policy under Labour). 

Edited by Robin-H

11 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Your point is what?

That GP's and social services don't send someone just to get them off their backs, or that social services aren't rigorous enough in their checks.

Any potential for abuse will be taken - not just by the poor either - PDSA is abused by benefit recipients. Then the real needy can't get access to them. I've watched the reality tv programmes with benefit recipients picking up food bank parcels with the latest haircuts and gel coat nails.

Poverty isn't being at 50% of the median income. I know people in jobs with less than £73 a week to spend and they think they're middle class.

Edited by willman

3 minutes ago, willman said:

Your point is what?

That GP's and social services don't send someone just to get them off their backs, or that social services aren't rigorous enough in their checks.

Any potential for abuse will be taken - not just by the poor either - PDSA is abused by benefit recipients. Then the real needy can't get access to them. I've watched the reality tv programmes with benefit recipients picking up food bank parcels with the latest haircuts and gel coat nails.

Edited by Mister M

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Well if you've watched reality TV programmes you'll know everything then.

I  know enough that they make the argument about being in poverty seem idiotic to the main populace - even if it is stage managed. Just like the referral figures for food banks are manipulated by the referrers on a whim or a cloud of public opinion.