Clean tap water?

Picture this.
Stainless kitchen sink with plunge (?) drainer.

Alongside, dual height stainless rack, with very shiny tray under. Cut-away corners allow rinsing water to drain away.
Pots and crockery thoroughly washed in hot water, rinsed in cold water in the drainer,and placed on rack to drip dry.
2/3 plates a day, assorted coffee mugs...
Every two days or so, the "shiny tray" becomes cloudy. There's no standing water in it - it's just a grey "film".
Add water in order to wipe the tray clean...and it hammers!
When I say "hammers", put it this way...If you had a dog, or a flatulent grandmother living with you, you'd stare at them in an accusing and disapproving fashion for trotting a bad 'un out in a food preparation area.
But this is supposedly clean, fresh water, straight from the tap.
The same tap that fills the kettle.
Time for a letter to Severn Trent, methinks...

I can’t “picture” anything with the rambling above. Do you just mean that your sink drainer is covered with a white stinky residue after being wiped clean with tap water that has dried up? If so, you could have just said that.

The following link will show you the impurities in your water. https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/water-quality/check-my-water-quality/

I used to think and remember in the Sheffield Area they provided ' Soft Water ' which Didn't fur up your Kettle or Appliances, but of Late I find this problem with both the Kettle and Iron requiring treatments. 

Methinks maybe someone is getting our water supplies from further afield, like over the penines (eg Blackpool Area or similar) 

It's only a theory,  As I Have no Definitive Proof? Just a furring kettle etc...

Maybe someone in this industry could shed some light on the. Occurrences.....?

Glad someone one answered before I did, I found it all very strange.

If there was a problem to tell Severn Trent wouldn't  your whole area be affected and not just you.

Ask your neighbours  if they have a problem.

24 minutes ago, Happ said:

I can’t “picture” anything with the rambling above. Do you just mean that your sink drainer is covered with a white stinky residue after being wiped clean with tap water that has dried up? If so, you could have just said that.

The following link will show you the impurities in your water. https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/water-quality/check-my-water-quality/

I believe water is fed from two separate sources and therefore two sepeate companies. South and West of Sheffield from Severn Trent (moderately hard water), and North and East from Yorkshire water (soft). However, I also believe the suppliers can “share” water and pump between potential sources if the need requires.

Could be completely wrong, and someone with better knowledge can correct me, but I know S12 is Sveren Trent and has predominantly hard water where as S6 is Yorkshire water which is soft.

Is it just this “shiny tray” that’s the issue and made from something that reacts unfavourably with the water? (would be ironic given it’s purpose) Can’t you remove that bit of the contraption and just stand it on the built in sink drain? See if you get the same issue.

Hot water supplied via a storage cistern located in the loft could be your problem!   ie if left uncovered can become contaminated over time.

2 hours ago, zaci said:

Hot water supplied via a storage cistern located in the loft could be your problem!   ie if left uncovered can become contaminated over time.

This is very likely the correct answer.

4 hours ago, Happ said:

Just setting the scene in a light-hearted manner.

Apologies for not meeting your obviously exacting standards.

4 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Glad someone one answered before I did, I found it all very strange.

If there was a problem to tell Severn Trent wouldn't  your whole area be affected and not just you.

Ask your neighbours  if they have a problem.

Have done, and yes is the answer...a good dozen houses alongside.

8 hours ago, Happ said:

I believe water is fed from two separate sources and therefore two sepeate companies. South and West of Sheffield from Severn Trent (moderately hard water), and North and East from Yorkshire water (soft). However, I also believe the suppliers can “share” water and pump between potential sources if the need requires.

Could be completely wrong, and someone with better knowledge can correct me, but I know S12 is Sveren Trent and has predominantly hard water where as S6 is Yorkshire water which is soft.

Severn Trent does supply and clean water to very small areas on the very southern extremities of the City.

The majority of our water comes from the Yorkshire Derwent near York and is mixed with other sources.

Neither supply area is regarded as particularly soft or hard.

Regarding water softness...

As I understand it, main water sources for around here were historically fairly acidic, being run off from moorland. Although this is soft and doesn’t fur up kettles or cause scum on cups of tea, the acidity attacks the water pipes, particularly old lead ones, to the detriment of both the pipes and the people drinking the water.

As a result, it is now more normal to supply water which is now marginally alkaline. This is not related to the different sources of water as it is to the preferred make up of water into the distribution system.

In reality, it is quite common to adjust the pH of water at many stages in the water treatment process. For example, Zebra Mussels occur in rivers in some areas (which have calcium in the water, needed for the mussel shells). If water is abstracted from these rivers for supply purposes, it is possible that eggs or very young mussels are drawn into the pipework where they lodge and grow, with a steady supply of food as fresh water is drawn in past them. If left to grow, they will soon block the pipes.  They can be stopped and inhibited by the addition of acid at an early stage in the process. This provides an environment where shells cannot harden through lack of calcium, and the mussels fail. Later on in the process, Lime is added to neutralise the acid, and form salts which settle out before the water goes into supply.

It should be understood that water treatment is usually a fairly chemically intense process, often with acids, alkaline and chlorine based chemicals to make it safe to drink.

When it finally enters distribution there are a fair number of salts in the water, but due to its original source, not the added chemicals. The chemical make up varies area to area, but the chemical analysis is readily available for each and every area - just ask your supplier.

So it’s no surprise that when surfaces are left to dry, and the clean water water evaporates off,  that a film remains.

It doesn’t bother me at all that I take in these chemicals when I drink water, though, as these chemicals are at worst harmless, and at best a source of essential minerals.

Very happy to drink tap water, especially in preference to expensive “mineral” water.

8 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Severn Trent does supply and clean water to very small areas on the very southern extremities of the City.

The majority of our water comes from the Yorkshire Derwent near York and is mixed with other sources.

Neither supply area is regarded as particularly soft or hard.

See the link above. Severn Trent themselves lost the water they supply as “moderately hard” to an S12 postcode. What do you know that the company who supply it don’t?