Saturday afternoon matinee pictures..

Thanks, fleetwood, and Christmas & New Year greetings heartily returned!

The Paragon at Firth Park, where the Wild West was won. 😁

1 minute ago, Broakham said:

The Paragon at Firth Park, where the Wild West was won. 😁

Me too Broakham, Sat mornings in the 7d.

I was only thinking the other day I know it's  nothing to do with Saturday morning cinema , pictures as we called it but can you remember when it was continuous?

You could go in half way through the film and sit there until it had finished and restarted again, in fact you could sit there all day and keep rewatching  the film.

No extra charge.

Yes indeed, jaffa1 - here is a 1958 group of adverts. in The Star, with most cinemas offering a continuous programme. 01.jpg

It was the Essaldo for me at Sheffield Lane top.

Hillsboro I've said it before and I'll say it again, thank you for all your interesting contributions and for helping people's research.

Happy New Year to you and yours

On 12/24/2018 at 2:19 PM, Jim Hardie said:

I remember the matinees as being on Saturday mornings. I used to go to the ones at the Heeley Palace. They used to stamp a star in your card. Can't remember why, lol.

They stamped your card so that you could get into the special Christmas matinee with free sweets etc.

54 minutes ago, chumpy said:

They stamped your card so that you could get into the special Christmas matinee with free sweets etc.

Right. Wonder if I can still use it, lol.

10 hours ago, jane2008 said:

It was the Essaldo for me at Sheffield Lane top.

Hillsboro I've said it before and I'll say it again, thank you for all your interesting contributions and for helping people's research.

Happy New Year to you and yours

Happy New Year to you and yours also, jane2008! Yes, the Essoldo at Lane Top, and another Essoldo on Herries Road which everyone called the "Forum" - I think that was its old name. Memories!

3 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Happy New Year to you and yours also, jane2008! Yes, the Essoldo at Lane Top, and another Essoldo on Herries Road which everyone called the "Forum" - I think that was its old name. Memories!

Yep it was the Forum.. and the Essoldo at Lane Top was known as the Capital.. spent many hours there when I was courting..back row naturally.

14 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Yes indeed, jaffa1 - here is a 1958 group of adverts. in The Star, with most cinemas offering a continuous programme. 01.jpg

The big first run cinemas in town that had the queues used to clear the house between screenings. It was the locals, mostly that didn't care how long you stayed, and I think coined the term: "This is where we came in".

Amazing that we could still enjoy a film, seeing the second half first.

38 minutes ago, Padders said:

Yep it was the Forum.. and the Essoldo at Lane Top was known as the Capital.. spent many hours there when I was courting..back row naturally.

Strangely enough, we kids used to go to the Paragon, but if our parents took us it was always the Essoldo. :huh: