Grenfell Tower effigy burning

It does if by posting it on the internet they have broken the law. The police then have no choice but to investigate.

People seem to forget that they turned themselves in so it's not as though the Met have spent a vast amount of resources on it.

OMG i totally agree with you it was a disgrace, i can not understand these peoples mind set.

BUT HEY, there are white , brown and black figures on the tower effigy but it's still sick sick sick. Would you find it so acceptable if one of your family had burnt alive in this fire or better still if you yourself had actually been fighting for your own life in this horrendous fire? Think about it.

And where did I say it was acceptable? I just said I don't see it being a crime.

The people who built the tower weren't prosecuted, I can't see how this is actually worse...

It's incredibly bad taste and hopefully they'll be shunned by friends and family to make it clear, but criminal, I don't think it reaches that standard myself.

Being an *ss is not a crime.

That's about where I stand, been a complete moron and devoid of brain isn't a crime, the Law cannot charge someone for been an idiot and brainless, can it.

Angel1.

It would surely be considered a hate crime which has stiff penalties over here, I thought it was the same in the UK too.

That or public order offence are the only options that have been suggested.

But I can't see how it will fit the description for either crime.

Offending and outraging people is not a crime, yet.

From 2013:

Twin Towers fancy dress students condemned

Two students who dressed as the Twin Towers in a fancy dress competition have been condemned by university and students' union bosses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24835322

Oddly enough they actually won the event.

That or public order offence are the only options that have been suggested.

But I can't see how it will fit the description for either crime.

Offending and outraging people is not a crime, yet.

As I see it, making and burning the model, or even recording it for private consumption, are unlikely to be a crime. Very bad taste, but not a crime.

Posting the recording and so making it public might be, though.

I don’t know for a fact, it’s just my opinion.

It would be ironic, though, if those posting it with a sense of outrage were the guilty ones.

I'm not even convinced that making it public would be a crime. Offensive yes, to a lot of people, yes, but causing distress... Seems like a stretch.

"causing harassment, alarm or distress by the use of threatening, abusive or insulting words or signs."

It wasn't threatening, abusive or insulting... So it doesn't fall under the public order offence immediately. And for the first sentence, it's definitely not harassment, nor alarm, so distress is the only possibly and I think that's a stretch.

I just don't think it qualifies as a public order offence under this description.

As to hate speech... Well, that seems like a stretch as well, unless what they said rather than what they did makes it such.

Edited by Cyclone

As I see it, making and burning the model, or even recording it for private consumption, are unlikely to be a crime. Very bad taste, but not a crime.

Posting the recording and so making it public might be, though.

I don’t know for a fact, it’s just my opinion.

It would be ironic, though, if those posting it with a sense of outrage were the guilty ones.

What is a public order Offence?

Threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour in a public place. Section 6 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 makes it an offence for any person in a public place to use threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with the intention of causing a breach of the peace.25 Jul 2016

as has been said numerous times, doing it in private is ok...unless somebody witnesses it and complains.

Posting it on the internet pushes it into the realms of public.

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 11:42 ----------

I'm not even convinced that making it public would be a crime. Offensive yes, to a lot of people, yes, but causing distress... Seems like a stretch.

i had a single swear word on my jacket sleeve once, the only person who took offence was a copper (in the peace gardens) i told him he couldnt do me if he said take it off. so he said take it off, so i did.

I still got a court summons a month later.

It got laughed out of court and the solicitor (the one up pitsmoor) didnt charge me.

so it does happen.

i'd reckon theres far more offence caused in this case than mine, specially as its on the internet and far more people can see it. and people died. and it DOES have racial overtones despite what people said so could go down as a hate crime.

It got laughed out of court though because it hadn't caused harassment, alarm or distress.

It got laughed out of court though because it hadn't caused harassment, alarm or distress.

yup

although im sure those words could be applied to this case especially if they are outed as having racist views.

I didnt pick on a certain type of person, it was a general "humerous" sentence with a swear word in it.

They have picked on a certain part of the community (mostly dead) colouring the people in the windows brown could be seen as laughing at people who died because of their race and colour.

as has been said numerous times, doing it in private is ok...unless somebody witnesses it and complains.

Posting it on the internet pushes it into the realms of public.

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 11:42 ----------

i had a single swear word on my jacket sleeve once, the only person who took offence was a copper (in the peace gardens) i told him he couldnt do me if he said take it off. so he said take it off, so i did.

I still got a court summons a month later.

It got laughed out of court and the solicitor (the one up pitsmoor) didnt charge me.

so it does happen.

i'd reckon theres far more offence caused in this case than mine, specially as its on the internet and far more people can see it. and people died. and it DOES have racial overtones despite what people said so could go down as a hate crime.

why on earth would you have a swear word on your jacket sleeve???:loopy: was it to attract attention?

why on earth would you have a swear word on your jacket sleeve???:loopy: was it to attract attention?

its a daft picture off a record label from a crusty punk band, a mate painted it on, brilliantly done. Funnily enough its also available on t shirts. It also features a well known childrens tv character from years gone by.