Climate Change thread

Oh dear! :(

Just to clarify, and to avoid Mr Padders any further upset...

... I'm sure that many of us will agree that NOT being a 'forum expert' is definitely a good thing! :thumbsup:

And now Mr Sibon has also 'come out' as definitely NOT a 'forum expert'.

I'm so proud of you both! :love:

14 hours ago, Magilla said:

More likely, it'll mean some will lose less than others.

What about the millions of people who're going to be heading north to Europe and beyond?

Orders of magnitude more than now... could be quite expensive!

So... on balance, I doubt it really is true.

According to the figures, more folks are actually moving South. U.S in particular.

Anecdotally, a lot of Europeans have moved to where I live in the hot steamy Caribbean, There's no real interest by Dominicans, Mexicans, or Cubans moving to Europe and all my Sheffield family in the U.K. have moved to the South of England.

Exceptions are the economic benefits that can be had by moving to a relative welfare State,  but the climate appears to be no major factor in that equation.

Guest sibon
10 minutes ago, trastrick said:

According to the figures, more folks are actually moving South. U.S in particular.

Anecdotally, a lot of Europeans have moved to where I live in the hot steamy Caribbean, There's no real interest by Dominicans, Mexicans, or Cubans moving to Europe and all my Sheffield family in the U.K. have moved to the South of England.

Exceptions are the economic benefits that can be had by moving to a relative welfare State,  but the climate appears to be no major factor in that equation.

I don’t think the climate itself will be the cause of mass migration.  Being under water might influence a few decisions though. Or being in a newly formed desert.

Edited by sibon

27 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

... I'm sure that many of us will agree that NOT being a 'forum expert' is definitely a good thing! :thumbsup:

I can't give anymore reactions today, wonder why there's a limit...

Anyway thanks, you'll probably enjoy a thumb up more...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Whoever told you that Mr Padders, is telling porkies! :shocked:

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

How would most of the moaners about the weather have gone on in 1976 when we had this kind of heat going on 6 to 7 weeks. O.K it was a degree C cooler but who can tell that difference. It has only been warm for a day or three.

There were plenty of moaners in 1976 particularly amongst the older population who had far less experience of 'continental' temperatures and did not have the 'holiday' clothes which most have nowadays. 

The temperatures were unpleasantly high in the City Centre and in workplaces with temperature thresholds high enough for the free salted orange squash/lager token to be issued(the last time?) at some of the steelworks.

In the suburbs, the stench of bin bags and stale milk that lasted for weeks and houses and buildings also warmed up over time and did not provide a cooler place to escape from the outside temperatures.

The shade temperatures and night minimum temperatures in Sheffield were never near what they were recently but the length of the heat wave caused different problems. A combination of the duration of 1976 and the recent high minimum temperatures does need to be planned for.

Incidentally your body can detect temperature differences of 0.2 degrees and our physiology triggers many responses to overheating and dehydration  which don't work as well amongst older people

28 minutes ago, sibon said:

I don’t think the climate itself will be the cause of mass migration

something like half the world's population live in areas that will become uninhabitable - after a 3°C rise in average temperatures - which we're very much on course for by the end of the century.

and then consider significant changes in rainfall, more catastrophic storms, and sea level rise.

billions of people will be faced with a very simple choice : leave or die.

Edited by ads36

Guest sibon
1 minute ago, ads36 said:

something like half the world's population live in areas that will become uninhabitable after a 3°C rise in average temperatures.

and then consider significant changes in rainfall, more catastrophic storms, and sea level rise.

That isn’t what I meant.  Maybe I should clarify.

I don’t think that people will move to find a better climate. Most will move because they can’t stay where they currently live. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

It was in reference to an amusing little story I heard in "Padders Bar" 

Whereby you got your thumb wedged in your Tranny's gearbox whilst carrying out a service.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

It was in reference to an amusing little story I heard in "Padders Bar" 

Whereby you got your thumb wedged in your Tranny's gearbox whilst carrying out a service.

I wouldn't believe ANYTHING you hear in Padders Bar! :hihi:

31 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

It’s true 😀

23 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The temperatures were unpleasantly high in the City Centre and in workplaces with temperature thresholds high enough for the free salted orange squash/lager token to be issued(the last time?) at some of the steelworks.

Blimey Annie, I'd forgot about that, brings back memories..

The drinks machine at my place of work was programmed to issue free cold drinks...

As I've already mentioned, I'm sure it lasted 3 months. June-July-August.

Not a cloud, just blue skies for the duration.