Don valley Railway

15 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

How many many walk up the hills from Deepcar?

How many will cross the river and get on at Wharncliffe?

How far is it from Oughty Bridge to Oughtibridge?

How many will want to wait an hour between trains?

Who wants to be dropped off at a Nunnery Square terminus?

Indeed I share your concerns and of course with one train an hour simply shuttling up and down there would be no need for passing loops meaning that it would cost another arm and leg to increase the frequency.

11 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Nunnery Square is one stop on the tram to get to town

It wouldn’t take a genius to make that work.

It's three stops away from Fitzalan Square. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's three stops away from Fitzalan Square. 

Indeed and that would be a loose definition of town these days with Co op gone, Wilko gone the old market gone

also 2 trams if you want to connect up with mainline trains to anywhere else

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

Indeed and that would be a loose definition of town these days with Co op gone, Wilko gone the old market gone

also 2 trams if you want to connect up with mainline trains to anywhere else

I do wonder if the tram line will end up cut off from most of the town centre with the drive to move everything to The Moor. Perhaps Burger King will inject some life in to the northern part of town. Wendy's seems to have helped to make it slightly more vibrant.

If I was traveling from Stocksbridge to the rail station, I don't think I'd mess about getting of and on, I'd probably walk from Fitzalan Square. A direct link would be advantageous. Sheffield station needs more direct transport links certainly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

as a retired railway girl, I like to think I know about this, I can't see why re-openning the station would be impossible. 

I imagine peddling a few bags of overpriced crisps & Toblerones would give you an incredible insight into the mechanics of railway infrastructure 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, MJ01 said:

I imagine peddling a few bags of overpriced crisps & Toblerones would give you an incredible insight into the mechanics of railway infrastructure 

Was she a Plate Layer ?  

• Haha 1

I don’t think it will happen.

just the tories trying to water down the cancellation of hs2 in the vain hope of retaining some of the northern vote.

47 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

I don’t think it will happen.

just the tories trying to water down the cancellation of hs2 in the vain hope of retaining some of the northern vote.

it will be interesting as I wonder what the Labour party will be saying on the subject

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MJ01 said:

What insight do you have?

4 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

What insight do you have?

None - but then again I never claimed to have

24 minutes ago, MJ01 said:

None - but then again I never claimed to have

Exactly as I thought. You don't know anything about the railway, so I don't see how you can question others' knowledge, people who have actually worked on the railway and operated equipment on trains and worked alongside managers and drivers.

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Exactly as I thought. You don't know anything about the railway, so I don't see how you can question others' knowledge, people who have actually worked on the railway and operated equipment on trains and worked alongside managers and drivers.

I'm still struggling to see how pushing a trolley of sandwiches would give a useful insight into engineering projects ' even if you have spoken to a driver as you swapped ends at a terminus

• Like 1