Energy suppliers saying I've not spent enough

Had notice that my energy suppliers are putting their prices up so deceided I would switch only to be told I've not spend enough on energy (both on prepayment) so won't let me leave until I pay around £300 anyone else had this sort of problem ?

Just to add I'm always in credit on meters

Yes, I am also on a prepayment meter for electric with a charge key and have just received a letter this morning about price increases. I have just looked at my account and it states:

Statement period: up to 19 July 2017.. £551.46 in Debit

Statement period: up to 17 January 2018.. £210.61 Debit

Like you I am always in credit but apparently they (Npower) have not been updating the meter with the correct tariffs so the account shows a Debit. They say they will take it from my charge key payments but I have told them they need my permission first and refuse to let them do this. I think I may have to get offgen involved as this is totally unacceptable as like you I cannot change suppliers till this Debit is cleared.

The whole idea of pre-payment is so that this does not occur.

I'm not on prepayment but quarterly billing, despite a fight with British Gas who wanted to do a monthly direct debit for £50 p/m. They insisted it was for my benefit so I wouldn't get an unexpected large pill. I laughed at them and said a few hours of work would pay for any bill.

When I submitted my quarterly readings they queried it because they thought I should have used much more and my gas bill was £102.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that there is not a lot between them. However, I've just switched to one that puts £50 in your account when you join them, and you get a code to pass on to other people. If they join, both you and them get fifty quid each and on it goes.

Pay by monthly DD. You agree* the amount based on what you think you will use.

Tariff

Electric: 12.17 pence

Gas: 2.66 pence.

This is cheaper than prev supplier.

(If anyone wants the code just PM).