Toys R Us and Maplin.

This may be why they went out of business...

If I looked in a retail bricks n mortar store I'd try and buy from them and accept the small markup. With Maplin the price was so silly I'd think sod it.... its' only when I really needed it there and then would I pay them.

If they get wiped out they might be a sale on, who knows there could be some bargains to be had, or not.

If they get wiped out they might be a sale on, who knows there could be some bargains to be had, or not.

I expect that’s what many people are waiting for, the inevitable Closing Down sale madness

Maplins downfall was their Markup. A 1 Meter 3.5 Phono lead £7.99

Exact same thing in Poundland = £1

No difference in quality...;)

Last time i was in Red Gates they had Dinky toys on the shelf for £1.95. Now worth £Hundreds.

My mum used to bug me on my birthday, Let's go upstairs and look at the cuddly toy's first..!! Damn, yes mom.

Gooseneck usb laptop light, £7.99 at Maplins, £1 at Poundland, no difference in quality, that is until I plugged it in to my laptop and it blew my usb port at a cost of £25 for the repair, thats Poundland crap for ya.

Maplin went from being an electronics supplier to an electronics goods retailer. They moved from being one in a market place of maybe half a dozen to one in a market place of hundreds.

When the catalogue stopped weighing more than the Yellow Pages, that's when the rot set in.

The Maplin's catalogue was like an electronics bible ,full of component pin outs, circuit diagrams, resistor charts etc. , all easy to look up on the internet today but not no easy twenty years ago. The catalogue was once even the subject of a book review in the Times, I think.I used to buy one every year and would look forward to the new one coming out.

The Maplin's catalogue was like an electronics bible ,full of component pin outs, circuit diagrams, resistor charts etc. , all easy to look up on the internet today but not no easy twenty years ago. The catalogue was once even the subject of a book review in the Times, I think.I used to buy one every year and would look forward to the new one coming out.

Ahhh the Maplins catalogue, it was fantastic :thumbsup:

Gooseneck usb laptop light, £7.99 at Maplins, £1 at Poundland, no difference in quality, that is until I plugged it in to my laptop and it blew my usb port at a cost of £25 for the repair, thats Poundland crap for ya.

maplins sold good quality stuff from quality makers like Belkin. Just remembered the catalogue had money off vouchers in the back so the catalogue came free if you spent enough.

---------- Post added 09-03-2018 at 21:29 ----------

some of their stuff is still to dear at half price, but sad to see the firm on its uppers though.

Edited by choogling

Maplins sale now on, putting signs out today, still expensive but you never know what you might get

Ill miss Maplin as it was a great place to look and stuff and try it out before hitting buy now with an online retailer for half the price as I walked out the shop.

Ooo aren't you big and clever. :roll:

Ooo aren't you big and clever. :roll:

no, just sensible ;)