Toys R Us and Maplin.

Unfortunately for Maplins when word gets out that you horrendously overcharge for everything then customers just go somewhere else.

Was just gonna say, Maplins is VERY high priced compared

I would think more than 75% of products for sale in Maplins was imported, since the fall of Sterling ...........

Or if they are fixing stuff, buying it online. Maplin's components section in store got smaller and smaller.

And there were problems with their stock database. I'd order stuff to collect locally and the assistants couldn't find the parts anywhere.

It was only a matter of time for maplins to go under,the net has killed it.For example a circuit board from them is 4 times more than off the net.

Is the a problem with the business model or a failure of management though?

Their website was abit clunky and things like the electrical component sections could have been run Argos style, with all the actual stock kept out back and a catalogue for customers to browse on the shop floor.

Would open up more space for other stock on the actual shop floor.

Is the a problem with the business model or a failure of management though?

Their website was abit clunky and things like the electrical component sections could have been run Argos style, with all the actual stock kept out back and a catalogue for customers to browse on the shop floor.

Would open up more space for other stock on the actual shop floor.

I dont know which stores you used to visit but the Leeds and Wakefield ones were certainly run like that on the odd occassion I needed a component there and then. It was basically a service desk and a few catalogs and web browsers to pick and choose from.

Maplin have simply run out of customers, empty office space, failed multiple retailers = less customer potential. I haven’t been into the city centre for ages, however I’ve managed with out of town retailers and on-line purchases.

I dont know which stores you used to visit but the Leeds and Wakefield ones were certainly run like that on the odd occassion I needed a component there and then. It was basically a service desk and a few catalogs and web browsers to pick and choose from.

I was at the Leeds one not too long ago, they still had components out.

Not all stock but still a few shelves filled.

Mind you the one at Leeds has a large space at the back with just the odd sales bin and some electric toy cars.

Or if they are fixing stuff, buying it online. Maplin's components section in store got smaller and smaller.

And there were problems with their stock database. I'd order stuff to collect locally and the assistants couldn't find the parts anywhere.

Yeah thats what i mainly know maplins for, mi dad and his mate david fixing electronic stuff, getting components from maplins, bardwells and even earlier the little electronic repair shop at woodhus where i bought mi speccy games from

Maybe people aren;t fixing stuff..these days a lot of "broken" things get thrown away..

True, but it's hard to find people who can do the fixing, certainly for a price that's much less than buying a new one.

I ordered some light bulbs from Maplins who hadn’t got them in stock so they had to order them off someone else. They said they would ring me when they came in, but never did. I had to ring them three times to remind them to order them for me. :rant:

They've both gone bust...

Failure of the bricks and mortar model of selling in the face of online competition....? Or just high priced tat like Woolies.

Or can we try and blame it on the EU somehow...

it must be maggies fault--she gets blamed for most things that go wrong!!