Auschwitz-Birkenau survivors

a lot of those "Nazis" were just normal German people who got swept up in it all, i think the title "Nazis" is used to allow the Germanic people an escape route out of their countries atrocities,

Yep i agree, that is scary, could happen anywhere and has in the 1990's we still havent learnt

Yep i agree, that is scary, could happen anywhere and has in the 1990's we still havent learnt

and it seems even more so today, there seems to be more of a right wing ideology sweeping through Europe, if not the world....

and it seems even more so today, there seems to be more of a right wing ideology sweeping through Europe, if not the world....

Is it just right wing or just not learning from the past? Was it right wing in Bosnia.

Do you think that there are any survivors left in Yorkshire area who survived the terrible camp at Auschwitz-Birkenau would be very interested to know thank you

Has anyone on here visited the camp in krakow

we went about 5 years ago, it was the middle of winter when we were there. well below freezing with deep snow..

I didnt think it was a big deal as we walked round the camp, but when we went in one of the barracks and saw peoples suitcases with their names on it. then that stopped me in my tracks, then it got worse, we saw piles and piles of peoples shoes, all worn and scuffed, these were not new off the shelf, they were peoples shoes that they had worn before they were gassed. next we came to another pile of shoes, only these were very small, they were children's shoes, next we came to the mountain of toothbrushes, then the mountain of spectacles, then the mountain of false limbs and crutches....when we left the barracks to go out into the fresh air, we were both left shocked and lost for words as we tried to understand what we had just witnessed....

---------- Post added 12-02-2018 at 13:10 ----------

Is it just right wing or just not learning from the past? Was it right wing in Bosnia.

i honestly dont have a clue.

What i saw which i feel was even worse was the mountain of hair and right at the bottom was a little girls blonde plait with the ribbon still in it, a truly horrible place.

A mate visited, he's not one for much in the way of emotion but said he sobbed his eyes out when he got back to the hotel.

Aye, quite understandable.

When I visited Edinburgh Castle and went into the The Scottish National War Memorial where the names of the war dead are recorded in many many volumes of large books, I admit to getting moist eyes. Every name recorded means a family which would never be the same again.

Angel1.

Went on a scientific visit to Poland in the late 70s and a visit to the camp was a compulsory requirement of the tour's approval.

Edited by cgksheff

The very complex Poland/Israel relationship is strained at the moment. The Poles are trying to make out that none of them had anything to do with the Holocaust. The Israelis are saying **** you, even though there are more Poles among the Righteous in Yad Yashem than any other nationality, a lot of Poles were still involved with the murders of Jews, nevertheless.

Everyone has had a pop at the Jews historically, the English did their bit in York, the Nazis blamed them for all of Germany’s pre WW2 problems, I hate religion, it has caused mayhem ever since a guy called Abraham invented it.

It is a place I feel I should go to one day, sort of out of respect & understanding. A previous poster has said that it has become a tourist destination, with people taking selfies outside the 'famous' gates. I find that wrong, its just not that kind of place surely?

Last year I read 'A Detail of History' by Arek Hersh. A very moving account of a little boy who survived the Holocaust. Worth reading.

I like to think of myself as a big strong northern male,but the first time i watched Schindlers List i was disturbed for days and i started watching the programmes on discovery and it was just beyond comprehension that people could do that to one another.A video of children being led to the gas chambers sent a cold shiver up my back.Even more disturbing is the fact that things like this are still happening around the world today.Myanmar for one.

It was genocide especially Sarajevo, I know a guy who was with the Canadian forces as a Peacekeeper, during the siege. They were not allowed to retaliate to the bombardment by the Serbs unless directly shot at. I also know a Serbian who was shelling the town lol.Yes they both worked at the same company. Of course, there was also Kosovo which caused NATO to bomb Belgrade.Milosevic was another Hitler, except he wanted to exterminate Muslims instead of Jews.

---------- Post added 18-02-2018 at 18:54 ----------

I like to think of myself as a big strong northern male,but the first time i watched Schindlers List i was disturbed for days and i started watching the programmes on discovery and it was just beyond comprehension that people could do that to one another.A video of children being led to the gas chambers sent a cold shiver up my back.Even more disturbing is the fact that things like this are still happening around the world today.Myanmar for one.

Have you seen the documentary I mentioned earlier in your thread?

Edited by Ontarian1981