Will the Knife Amnesty solve the problem of the knife culture

whos profession allows them to carry knives around?

a mobile butcher? a knife thrower? lol

wouldlnt a workmans knives be at work?

I was thinking of tradesmen who might come to your house and would use a knife as one of their tools.

I was thinking of tradesmen who might come to your house and would use a knife as one of their tools.

a carpet fitter

but then theyd be able to prove it was for work and what they do as theyd have documentation

a carpet fitter

but then theyd be able to prove it was for work and what they do as theyd have documentation

Yeah - which is the law as it stands now. I was pointing out that there's no real reason to change the law - it won't actually reduce the number of crimes. This was in response to the OP's comment "My own belief is that anyone found in possession of a knife be jailed."

i wouldnt say guns are that hard to get hold of, you can go to the post office and apply for your very own shotgun license when your 18.

Yeh well, then youve got the police security checks and then the subsequent supervision...plus of course, shotguns, or any other guns arent exactly cheap.

They are sufficiently hard enough to get hold of to ensure that very few 17 year olds are taking them down the pub with them for 'self defence' purposes.

Nope - if anything it will probably make things worse! By clamping down on knives you simply give the would be 'gangstas' even more bad boy cachet and maybe even encourage them to carry a blade as proof of 'badness'. Much the same thing has been seen after the banning of hand-guns in tht they have become status symbols and badges of 'badness' anhancing rather than reducing a the gun culture.

As a complete aside when did knife become a verb I always thought the action was to stab, slash or cut not to knife?

evildrneil said: As a complete aside when did knife become a verb I always thought the action was to stab, slash or cut not to knife?
Probably aroud the same time the answer to "How are you?" became "I'm good." :huh:

After knives, how about a hammer amnesty and a brick amnesty? Not to mention a car amnesty - how many people are killed on the roads each year?

I'm still hoping for a pointy stick amnesty, so I can hand over all my unwanted bamboo skewers.

I have a swiss army pen knife on my "work" bunch of keys, all employees were given one as part of a health and safety campaign! Does any one think that handing it in would make the world a safer place?

Wait till you get stopped and searched and they find it , then you'll wish you handed it in. :)

I have a swiss army pen knife on my "work" bunch of keys, all employees were given one as part of a health and safety campaign! Does any one think that handing it in would make the world a safer place?

given a pen knife / health and safety?

lol

Just been having a read of the thread.

A knife amnesty won't work because the people who may possibly use a knife are not the ones who will hand them over.

Imagine big bad Brian with a criminal record as long as the proverbial arm turning up with a samurai sword and a bowie knife? " sorry officer, I shouldn't really have these would you like them?"

Nah, those who would use a knife are going to steer well clear of a police station.

i carry a pocket knife have done for years, ive never had the urge to stab someone.most schoolboys used to carry penknives boy scouts etc.

i carry a pocket knife have done for years, ive never had the urge to stab someone.most schoolboys used to carry penknives boy scouts etc.

So do I pk0, it comes in handy for sharpening pencils, gutting Mackerel on holiday and slicing the occasional apple. I've never felt the urge to stab anyone either.