Police clampdown on inconsiderate parking

Police in Sheffield have now started a clampdown on inconsiderate parking and now dishing out fines .is it too little too late or will it have the desired effect ?

Which areas?

Seen it in action in darnall

Could do with it where i live! fed up of folk blocking my drive way, and not just mine but the neighbours as well..

Whooooo i could have i right good moan today :rant::hihi:

Could do with it where i live! fed up of folk blocking my drive way, and not just mine but the neighbours as well..

Whooooo i could have i right good moan today :rant::hihi:

They have targeted drivers parking on junctions,crossing zigzags etc ,not sure if they will do anything about blocking drives unless you've got your car allready on and can't get off

They have targeted drivers parking on junctions,crossing zigzags etc ,not sure if they will do anything about blocking drives unless you've got your car allready on and can't get off

They quite often block me in! and it isnt anyone in particular, the school is just up the road and the parents park wherever they can, there is building work going off around the corner too and vans are currently taking over our road..

It's not always bad, just having a whinge :)

They would have a field day at Crookes if they targeted cars parked half way on the pavement.

perhaps they can cover Northern General Hospital area as the side streets are impassable at time with staff/visitors parked in extremely inconsiderate and dangerous places!!:rant::rant:

But that may mean going up against the middle class mafia and the police aren't that stupid!:suspect:

Their own website would seem to suggest they aren't:

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/node/20367

Your local council will deal with parking issues covering

•Double / single yellow lines

•Bus stops clearways

•Clearways

•Double parking

•Pedestrian crossings

We will deal with parking issues that cover

•Double white lines

•Obstruction

•Bends

•Brows of hills

…

If, however, a vehicle is parked legally on the road, the police have no powers to move it. This is still the case even if it does not belong to anyone who lives on the street where it is parked.

Vehicles blocking driveways are classed under "obstruction" (see above post) - as long as the driveway has a dropped kerb which is the important point here. If there is no dropped kerb then the situation is different & will not be dealt with. Hence this type of inconsiderate parking - obstructing a drive with a dropped kerb - is being addressed (as a rather inconsiderate person I know recently discovered to their cost!)

Edited by GleadlessLad

It seems to be becoming a bit of an issue in some areas now where parked cars are blocking bus routes or leaving the road too narrow for fire engines to get through along with cars parked on junctions, pedestrian crossings etc causing danger to pedestrians and near schools.

I've no idea how often there are incidents involving the emergency services but if you look back through the Twitter feed of Travel South Yorkshire (@TSYalerts) just in the last week or so buses have had to be diverted in the High Green, Waverley, Norton Lees, Bradway and Basegreen areas.

Waverley is a slightly more complex beast in that it is a new build housing estate that has been criticised for not being designed with roads of a good enough standard to accommodate buses, which is an issue Stagecoach Group were pushing with various local authorities nationally last year http://www.stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2017/2017-07-12.aspx

Edited by Andy C

Whilst it's needed personally I think this is just a numbers /revenue raising operation.

Let's see if it becomes a permanent thing. If it doesn't then I'm right.