Are SCC/Amey out of control?

I think that it is no longer of just voting ,the problems that seem to arise is the lack of accountability.No matter who is voted for ,invariably some people seem to have hidden agendas when voted in, they set their hours of work ,decide their job description,make major decisions without being open and honest in fact undemocratic, seem to be safe in their job till the next vote .By which time their salary has already been decided, and super pensions set in place,and expenses unchallenged ( possibly).Perhaps there is someone on here who could suggest how to challenge accountability ,salary,pension prior to the next election.To be honest I have no idea .

You seem to be mixing up elected councillors, who only receive allowances, and council employees who receive salaries.

I'm gob smacked at the idea that elected councillors receive super pensions given that my partner receives around £20 pcm after having served 3 years. Hardly gold plated, is it? Also, during that 3 year stint, her expenses amounted to a return trip, 2nd class, to Wakefield.

The councillors' job descriptions are fixed before the elections so there is no way they can decide their own afterwards.

I suggest you look at facts in future rather than repeating what some bloke down the pub told you.

You seem to be mixing up elected councillors, who only receive allowances, and council employees who receive salaries.

I'm gob smacked at the idea that elected councillors receive super pensions given that my partner receives around £20 pcm after having served 3 years. Hardly gold plated, is it? Also, during that 3 year stint, her expenses amounted to a return trip, 2nd class, to Wakefield.

The councillors' job descriptions are fixed before the elections so there is no way they can decide their own afterwards.

I suggest you look at facts in future rather than repeating what some bloke down the pub told you.

Firstly ,the comments that I have made are mine and not repeated from someone else.I seem to have struck a personal nerve which was not the intention. I have no idea what expenses that your partner obtains,and I am certain that I did not specify this.

But you seem to be the person in the know,so if you would like to answer the questions that I posed ,I really would appreciate any input.If you can ,please remove the emotion which would help me to learn something useful.

Presumably Mothersoles could be sacked, and the council will do that if they think that not doing so will lose them the next local election.

---------- Post added 05-12-2017 at 18:20 ----------

Perhaps there is someone on here who could suggest how to challenge accountability ,salary,pension prior to the next election.To be honest I have no idea .

Perhaps before you worry about challenging it, you could at least find out the basics of what a councillor is paid, how their hours and job descriptions are determined and what expenses they can claim...

Presumably Mothersoles could be sacked, and the council will do that if they think that not doing so will lose them the next local election.

---------- Post added 05-12-2017 at 18:20 ----------

Perhaps before you worry about challenging it, you could at least find out the basics of what a councillor is paid, how their hours and job descriptions are determined and what expenses they can claim...

Its at times like this is a thread that has been going for a while that it starts to become a little personal.My point was challenging accountability,and not what councillors are paid.I did admit not knowing how to,but was then given concern about me worrying about it and what I should do.I do so find it annoying when I am given an opinion without first asking for it.I think it safer to look on SF without commenting which I will go back to doing.

No. LD were in control 2008 - 2010.

This contract is data 31st July 2012

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/roads-and-pavements/streetsahead/Contract.pdf

A labour council has been in control since 2011

As previously mentioned, I checked today with the officer I know who was involved in developing the PFI contract.

The decision to put the PFI deal in place was agreed by all the political parties who were represented on the Council at that time, Labour, Lib-Dems and Conservative. There's a document they all signed up to.

That's a very vague statement.

So, it was agreed when it was a labour controlled council?

Every councillor voted in favour?

Who actually signed off the disastrous terms of the contract that put in place 7 engineering solutions to be used where trees were damaging pavements and kerbing, but left the choice entirely up to the commercially driven private company with no recourse for the council to influence the decision at all?

That's a very vague statement.

So, it was agreed when it was a labour controlled council?

Every councillor voted in favour?

Who actually signed off the disastrous terms of the contract that put in place 7 engineering solutions to be used where trees were damaging pavements and kerbing, but left the choice entirely up to the commercially driven private company with no recourse for the council to influence the decision at all?

You need to determine who is the common denominator(s) throughout. The person(s) who stay in the shadows, the person(s) with they most to lose if they cocked up, the person(s) with the most to gain by keeping secrets.

I do so find it annoying when I am given an opinion without first asking for it.

You don't think that perhaps giving an opinion without having the relevant facts might annoy other people?

BTW - it's a discussion forum, expect people to give opinions, you don't get an option to only receive them when you ask for them.

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 09:00 ----------

And loe and behold

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-would-consider-ending-pfi-contract-after-tree-furore-1-8890732

The council never wanted to do this anyway, it was the nasty tories that made them.

Please forget about the dawn raids, the police presence and the aggressively pursued court action. (Because they can't possibly blame those on the tories).

So having nearly reached the end of the 5 year renewal phase of the contract, with Amey not having actually completed the required works, the council will now 'consider' bringing the work back in house if possible.

Of course it's rather too late for the 5000 trees that have already been removed, with the council pushing this work at all stages.

Edited by Cyclone

You don't think that perhaps giving an opinion without having the relevant facts might annoy other people?

BTW - it's a discussion forum, expect people to give opinions, you don't get an option to only receive them when you ask for them.

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 09:00 ----------

And loe and behold

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-would-consider-ending-pfi-contract-after-tree-furore-1-8890732

The council never wanted to do this anyway, it was the nasty tories that made them.

Please forget about the dawn raids, the police presence and the aggressively pursued court action. (Because they can't possibly blame those on the tories).

So having nearly reached the end of the 5 year renewal phase of the contract, with Amey not having actually completed the required works, the council will now 'consider' bringing the work back in house if possible.

Of course it's rather too late for the 5000 trees that have already been removed, with the council pushing this work at all stages.

OPINION- Personal view

Information- Facts

I did not ask yours or anyone`s opinion,I did ask for facts.

I asked how to challenge accountability.My other comments were in essence covering my perceived thoughts where accountability was possibly lacking.This was a generalisation and not fact

I think that it is no longer of just voting ,the problems that seem to arise is the lack of accountability.

That's an opinion, not a question.

No matter who is voted for ,invariably some people seem to have hidden agendas when voted in,

Opinion.

they set their hours of work

Presented as fact, actually opinion.

,decide their job description,
Presented as fact, actually opinion, probably incorrect.
make major decisions without being open and honest in fact undemocratic,
Opinion.
seem to be safe in their job till the next vote .By which time their salary has already been decided, and super pensions set in place,
Presented as fact, actually demonstrably incorrect.
and expenses unchallenged ( possibly).

Opinion, at least you acknowledge you don't know though.

Perhaps there is someone on here who could suggest how to challenge accountability ,salary,pension prior to the next election.To be honest I have no idea .

Finally a question.

And then you complain that people challenge your opinions, most of which seem to be made up entirely without reference to actual facts, some of which are presented as facts and are in fact entirely wrong.

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 12:22 ----------

OPINION- Personal view

Information- Facts

I did not ask yours or anyone`s opinion,I did ask for facts.

You did plenty of sharing your opinion. You don't like it when someone disagrees or offers there own. That's discussion.

I asked how to challenge accountability.My other comments were in essence covering my perceived thoughts where accountability was possibly lacking.This was a generalisation and not fact

You should probably say something like this then

"I don't know, but in my head I've made up this hypothetical world where councillors are paid loads and get great pensions and I don't think it's fair, how do we challenge this make believe scenario?"

Or alternatively, establish the facts THEN form opinions, then discuss them.