The EU and the Irish Border.

Why's that then?
Because if the U.K. does not enforce its border with the EU, under WTO MFN rules the U.K. can’t enforce its border for any other country. The silver lining is that it won’t need to make trade deals anymore: what would there be to negotiate about for those countries?

Probably pointless to ask if I hear an ‘ooops’ :rolleyes:

The UK has never said that it isn't going to enforce its borders. Quite the contrary.
So, is that your acknowledgment that there will be a border between NI and the ROI after all?

The level of ‘enforcement’ of a border is the very definition of its ‘hardness’.

So, is that your acknowledgment that there will be a border between NI and the ROI after all?

The level of ‘enforcement’ of a border is the very definition of its ‘hardness’.

There is a border now. I thought most people knew that.

There is a border now. I thought most people knew that.

One that is totally unenforced - no checks on goods or people- like mainland Europe.

Only checks within the EU are entering and leaving the UK.

Ah, so you were just trolling Magilla. My bad, I thought you asked why there would be a harder border under WTO rules than currently.

I'm not trolling anyone. As I have said previously;

There is currently a border that administers the differing financial and regulatory regimes between all nations.

HMRC and DEFRA have both said they don't need a hard border.

The UK now only physically inspects 0.5% of non EU goods through customs.

Only the EU wants a hard border.

Remainers are using the out of date GFA to continue Project Fear.

I think that just about sums it up. None of this is difficult to understand.

I'm not trolling anyone. As I have said previously;

There is currently a border that administers the differing financial and regulatory regimes between all nations.

HMRC and DEFRA have both said they don't need a hard border.

The UK now only physically inspects 0.5% of non EU goods through customs.

Only the EU wants a hard border.

I think that just about sums it up. None of this is difficult to understand.

That's a fair point, and what I've said. If westminster do nothing the EU will insist that the ROI protect it's EU borders. It's like your neighbour at home. If you don't put a fence up but your neighbour does, you've got a fence up. Therefore, arguably the Irish governments problen isn't with the United Kingdom but with Brussels. If the island of Ireland want an borderless land mass then they will have to put up with border controls in Great Britain.

As for arguing the point about remain or brexit, doesn't matter, that die is cast. Just get on with it....

Car Boot, you're a remainer now, glad you've seen sense ;)

Just as well someone thought to ask the Irish:-

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/people-in-northern-ireland-want-the-uk-to-stay-in-the-customs-union-and-single-market-new-research-on-public-attitudes-reveals/

https://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/brexitni/BrexitandtheBorder/Report/Filetoupload,820734,en.pdf

It seems the fear is real, "project" or not:

There was a strong sense among participants – Catholics and Protestants, remain and leave voters – that protests against a ‘hard’ border may begin peacefully, but would quickly deteriorate into violence. Violent agents were perceived as waiting for an excuse to reemerge, and were referred to as “nutjobs,” “mad hatter people,” “psychopaths,” and the “hard element.”

Hence the somewhat dramatic change in attitudes to Brexit:-

- 69% would vote Remain if there was another referendum compared to the 56% who voted Remain at the time of the referendum

That's a fair point, and what I've said. If westminster do nothing the EU will insist that the ROI protect it's EU borders. It's like your neighbour at home. If you don't put a fence up but your neighbour does, you've got a fence up. Therefore, arguably the Irish governments problen isn't with the United Kingdom but with Brussels. If the island of Ireland want an borderless land mass then they will have to put up with border controls in Great Britain.

As for arguing the point about remain or brexit, doesn't matter, that die is cast. Just get on with it....

I can't disagree with anything you wrote there. It is definitely time to look to the future instead of fighting the battles of 2016.